Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here with newbie Ranch 6.8, went to the range and fired the 2nd box, starting with Rem 6.8 <Express> ammo. A buddy brought some Hornadys and I noticed a few dings and dented necks. I mean, it's a new gun, but should I get worked up about this?

Seems that the Express ammo gets more dented. Can this be to thinner brass?

Was using iron sights here, no scope mount to bounce off of...shells seem to fly solidly to the right and back. I was thinking it may ding and dent or both during extraction.

Now true I haven't fired rifles much since my old M-1 carbine in the 80s. But it doesn't seem logical they dent the neck hitting the ground. Any ideas will be appreciated. Here are some pics: blue gloves with the worst Rem Express, the 2 Hornadys upright, and the 45 degree shows the ding and dent on another Rem Express.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
The dents on the Hornady's and the 45 degree pic are nothing new, caused by the ejection mechanism, and nothing to worry about.

The blue glove pic is a curious one, no creasing though, so will be easy enough to reshape and reload.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The charging handle is hitting the brass during ejection. Its a common. If your worried about reloading them, theres a whole list of guys here, that'll take em off your hands.:D
Its typical, don't be concerned.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Newbie here with newbie Ranch 6.8, went to the range and fired the 2nd box, starting with Rem 6.8 <Express> ammo. A buddy brought some Hornadys and I noticed a few dings and dented necks. I mean, it's a new gun, but should I get worked up about this?

Seems that the Express ammo gets more dented. Can this be to thinner brass?

Was using iron sights here, no scope mount to bounce off of...shells seem to fly solidly to the right and back. I was thinking it may ding and dent or both during extraction.

Now true I haven't fired rifles much since my old M-1 carbine in the 80s. But it doesn't seem logical they dent the neck hitting the ground. Any ideas will be appreciated. Here are some pics: blue gloves with the worst Rem Express, the 2 Hornadys upright, and the 45 degree shows the ding and dent on another Rem Express.
Completely normal, all Minis do it out of the box. I'd try a gas bushing set to tame that beast down a bit, then your brass will be in better shape for reloading.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The charging handle is hitting the brass during ejection. Its a common. If your worried about reloading them, theres a whole list of guys here, that'll take em off your hands.:D
Its typical, don't be concerned.
Reloaders will take dented casings? I have a bunch but figured they were worthless with the little dent in 'em

·
Registered
4 Posts
UffoLarry,

Did you ever get some gas bushings installed? Did they stop the dings?

I am just starting to reload and have been seeing the sam exact dings and dents on my cases as well. At first i thought they were from flying 30 feet and hitting the ground, but i made a brass catcher and can see they are still getting dented and dinged.

I would like to keep the cases in the best shape possible, and was thinking the bushings may eliminate the problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Reloaders will take dented casings? I have a bunch but figured they were worthless with the little dent in 'em
You can sell them or give them to a buddy. Are they 6.8 or other caliber?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hi UffoLarry & Welcome to the forum!
Check out this link to a tread I posted back in March, it has some pictures that will look mighty familiar.
Smaller gas bushings should do the trick, they did for me. Also resulted in brass not being thrown as far, smoother operation, less recoil and quicker follow up shots.
A recoil buffer may also help a bit, I use a 1911 recoil buffer.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Larry your brass looks OK, mine does the same thing. I just take a nail punch and round them out a bit and toss them into the tumbler, then reload like crazy!......Have fun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think i figured this out....

it looks like the empty cartridge is hitting the little tabs that hold the cartridges in the magazine. i took the time this weekend to do a number of tests, one at a time, shoot, remove mag and check inserted round and round in mag, etc.... all were fine until it's shot.

So i took some of the rounds with the dings in them and drew a line around the entire cartridge, inserted it and then slowing drew back the charging handle. You can see that when the next round is the one on the left in the mag, the empty is pushed against the metal retaining tab of the mag. (and vice versa when on the right , but you just cant see ti that easily)

I have only ruger factory 5 rnd mags. and am going to try grinding back that tab about 45 degrees. to see if that helps.
I bet the empty case is hitting this tab then being deflected up into the scope, denting the neck.

I have a rubber recoil buffer installed , but the case is ejected before it even reaches that point.

Hopefully i can get this ground today or tomorrow and test it out again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts