Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fixing to purchase my first Mini-14. Looking at a stainless rancher with the composite stock. I see a lot of postings about pre and post ban models. I understand that the pre ban was made prior to a certain date but what is the difference in the two models?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Anything manufactured before Sept 1994 is pre-ban. I would call Ruger for the official before & after serial numbers before doing something like putting a folder on a gun that is supposed to be pre-ban. The penalties are just too great to be guessing wrong. I'm told The early ones from the 70's with SN" 180-xxxxx were quite a bit different internally. The parts for later versions won't fit those.

[This message has been edited by Mike McDonald (edited 12-18-2000).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help Mike. Clearly the weapon that I will be purchasing will be post ban since I am ordering it new. Hope I don't sound too stupid but not clear about what you mean "folder". One other thing, I have ordered my Mini-14 and should get it later this week. Was looking at a Simmons Whitetail Classic 2.5-8X36 scope to put on it. Any thoughts or suggestions on scopes? Again thanks for the input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wouldn't put a scope on Mini-14. They are just not accurate enough to warrant the use of optics. I would stick with the standard sights as the Ranch sights tend to flip down at the worst possible time.

The Mini-14 is a great rifle when properly used.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A "folder" is a folding stock. There are alot of them out there for sale, but you can't put one on a new gun without incurring the wrath of the BATF and winning a long vacation in a federal resort.
As far as the scope deal goes, I have a Tasco ProPoint on my Ranch and I love it. There's no magnification, so you can aim with both eyes open, which is a real plus if you're chasing rabbits with it. And they are pretty reasonable. I've seen them as cheap as $39 on sale, and the really nice ones go for about $100. Just put the red dot on the target and let 'er rip. I wouldn't buy a big high powered scope. Like joecpd52 said, there's just no good reason for it. I wouldn't go past a 6X if I were dead set on going that route.

Here's another site that has the years of manufacture listed. I don't know how accurate this information is, so take it for what it's worth. http://www.mini14world.com/mfg.html

[This message has been edited by Mike McDonald (edited 12-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mike McDonald (edited 12-21-2000).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike and Joe, thanks for the reply and information. I think I will most likely take your advice and not break the bank on any type of optics. I'll save that for my deer rifle. Makes more sense anyway. Also appreciate your other posts on break-in recommendations Mike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I never thought of using a red dot scope on a Mini-14. I have a Millet Redot on my 45 camp carbine and like it very much. The problem with the mini is the 30mm rings, but I tink it is a good idea. How is yours mounted?

I installed the Meprolight nite-sites on mine and I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Christmas has come a few days early. I have my new Mini-14 and a week off of work to play. Thanks for the advice Mike and Joe. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Cypress

1 - 9 of 9 Posts