Perfect Union banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the board here and new to the Mini. I have been looking at a lot of your pics and I getting lots of ideas. My mini is a 185 series with a BC folding stock, I believe the barrel was cut down and a flash suppressor added, not sure but that is what I was told. Any way still debating the direction I will take, but either way I am excited to do something with this gun, I have always wanted one.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I hope to learn alot here. I am also sure my gun will look quite a bit different when I am done.

·
Registered
317 Posts
one of the best things...

I love about this forum is seeing what people do with the mini. My 581 tactical is just about perfect for me right out of the box. Still seeing what others do makes me itchy for a trigger job a strut and maybe a uber stock bedded.
Then I go to the range and the mini just goes and goes and goes.
So I look at the eye candy and drool, but daddy tol' me long ago if it ain't broke don' fix it. LOL

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but for my needs (mostly plinking, maybe coyotes) I am sure it will be fine. I picked this up because it was a good deal, i have never been a huge fan of the folding stock, although it has grown on me. But my vision is something along the M1 SOCOM 16 look. This gun did have a barrel cut/crown sight suppressor job, and the trigger is crisp, feels like a two stage trigger, crisp and probably 6lb pull +/-. So changing the stock, adding a strut, some rail and a red dot or scout scope will probably get me there. I may do a standard scope, but not sure about the mounting options, I dont really want to tap the receiver.

Jimbo

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you decide on a conventional scope consider the Warne Maxima QD Ruger-style rings. No machining required and they return to zero quite nicely.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am pretty sure mine wont take standard Ruger rings as it is a series 185, but I dont know squat so I may be wrong.

Jimbo

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oops.... I should have read your original post more closely. You are correct.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There are a bunch of side mounts available that would work with your gun (Barska, B-Square, Sun Optics, UTG, NCStar, etc.). The prices and quality (based on feedback) are all over the place. Weaver makes one that is supposed to be excellent:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are a bunch of side mounts available that would work with your gun (Barska, B-Square, Sun Optics, UTG, NCStar, etc.). The prices and quality (based on feedback) are all over the place. Weaver makes one that is supposed to be excellent:

Amazon.com: Weaver Multi-Slot Base System - Mini 14/No Rings: Sports & Outdoors
Thanks, I have been looking at a few of these, I think I would trust Weaver over a few of the others. I have some credit at bass pro and they have a pretty nice Redfield 2-7x that I could get a great deal on after rebate, super nice scope would work great with this mount. But I do like the scout scope idea although I have never shot one so not sure i would like it after trying it out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That little Redfield Revolution 2x7 is a fabulous bit o' glass. I acquired one a while ago that came with a firearm purchase. The scope impressed me enough that I've purchased two more, one replacing the Leupold 2x7 on a Model 70 .375 H&H.

Good eye relief and I like both reticles. Good tough exterior finish and the windage/elevation dials are finger operated - no silly coin slot.

American made with an excellent lifetime warranty. Hard to beat that and I'm not a fan of inexpensive glass.

Thus ends my Redfield Revolution commercial... :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I wouldnt trust any of the side mounts for a scope on the older Mini's except the B-Square. Its a quality peice and every other one has issues staying on the gun it seems like from what I have read here.

If it were my rifle, the B-Square would be the only one up for consideration

1 - 15 of 15 Posts