Perfect Union banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new 582 ranch rifle. Shooting it for the first time next weekend. I have read many posts about the this rifle on here and looking for suggestions on mods to make for decent shots up to 150 yards. I want to avoid a scope. I have a Springfield bolt with scope for longer range. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Also looking for opinions on telescoping stocks with rail for a light. Thanks
How is this stockhttp://www.amazon.com/Tapco-STK62160-Mini-14-Thirty-System/dp/B002BIITYI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

·
Registered
116 Posts
Shoot it for awhile stock to get a baseline, then start from there. Lots of newer mini's are good shooters right out of the box. The only reals "mods" I've done to my 581 Ranch Rifle are I added an AccuStrut Socom, and had a trigger job done by GunDoc. I've added a Wilson 1911 buffer at the back and a Choate handguard. Other than that it's stock and shoots sub 2" at 100 yards.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
P220 is right -- you should see how it shoots prior to doing any accuracy mods. Some are lucky and have a good shooter right out of the box.

Having said that, you'll want to get your rifle in the stock that you prefer before doing any real shooting for accuracy, as stocks can (and often do) affect POI and accuracy. More so in a Mini than with other rifles, it seems.

I'm not much into "tactical" stocks, so I can't give you any helpful info there. Others will be along shortly to weigh in on the pros/cons of the Tapco vs. ATI vs. SCAR vs. Sparta, etc. ;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
All I did for my 16.125 barrel 582 was retorque the gas block (free), shim the stock (free), and stoned the sears on the trigger group (free). Gundoc has some very good videos on how to do some of this. So for no $, the 582 will hit a 18 X 24 plate at 400 yds with the iron sights. All this was done right after I got it, so I'm not sure how it shot out of the box. But for no $, it didn't hurt to do these things that I learned on this site and from Gundoc. If you have a standard 18" barrel, the strut ($90)may help. I have a strut on my 18" 183, but it has the old skinny barrel. I have read conflicting reports on whether the strut will help with the new heavy barrel mini's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gundoc videos

wxl - Where can I find those videos? I have looked on gundoc.com and not found them. I would love to do a few adjustments myself and be done with it. I like the feel of the stock better than some AR's I have shot and don't like the folding stocks much. I am looking for around 2" groups at 100-150 yards. I have a Springfield scoped bolt action for longer range shots sighted to 300 now.

·
Registered
344 Posts
wxl - Where can I find those videos? I have looked on gundoc.com and not found them. I would love to do a few adjustments myself and be done with it. I like the feel of the stock better than some AR's I have shot and don't like the folding stocks much. I am looking for around 2" groups at 100-150 yards. I have a Springfield scoped bolt action for longer range shots sighted to 300 now.
You can search this site and look up Great Western Gunsmithing.

·
Registered
344 Posts
On shimming the stock, all I did was get an old credit card and cut pieces and superglued it where the gun was loose. The factory stock was pretty loose and the shims made it so that I now have to pry the gun loose when I clean it. If the shims make it too tight to get the gun in the stock, you can sand them down to get the perfect fit. Learn this from another member of this site.

·
Registered
2 Posts
skip the tacticool stock - they're generally crap and you're not making the "firearm system" better.
...if you just want a light, just bolt a mount right into the forward stock.
see for ideas:
Impact Weapons Components
RAILS & ACCESSORIES - MOE® Scout Mount
...or this plus a cheap 1in weaver scope mount:
POLYMER RAIL SECTIONS - MOE® Polymer Rail Section, 5 Slots
...if you want to mount a light now, but later maybe a red dot and tac sling, get an ultimak rail.
...if you want to make it compact-able, get a quality folding stock.
...if you want to make the Length of Pull fit you better, get out your skill saw and cut it down.

don't forget the blue loctite on any/every bolt/screw!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all

Always appreciate responses. I am going to fire it stock and go from there. Thanks for the links jmkcolorado that is looking like a good option for me to mount a light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
acurizing

I have a year old mini tac I have a friend that glass bedded a Boyd stock and has used Ruger wood stocks, The gas system was clearanced and a great trigger. This would be the same as the old M1 & M1A methods. With a cheap a scope and real quality ammo and a improvised rest I got close to MOA with a bipod and proper prep it will do much better. I had a staff Sargent sniper back from Afghanistan, he put 3 rounds in under 1" at 200 yds , so much for my skill.
If you have a thin barrel you could put a barrel stabilizer they work. The guy who did my gun made his own barrel stabilizer and the same work on his and he shoots sub MOA at 100yds my 30 has a bull barrel. I love this gun its the same as my old M1A that was bedded. I sold it and I may have to dump this one next.
Good Luck
Mike:usa:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts