Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been browsing this site for some time, decided to register and join the conversation with some intelligent people who seem to have good practical info for Mini owners. I just bought a current 196 series Mini-14 ranch (blued) and have experienced typically lousy 100yd accuracy, even with 4x40 Weaver K4 attached. Winchester USA and Norinco 55gr ball produce 8-12in groups - I assume my barrell twist is too fast for lighter bullets, but haven't tried anything else yet. I'll be working on making this my coyote gun, so I may go as far as having it rebarrelled. Living in NE Texas I'm close to Shilen in Ennis and Clark Custom outside of Shreveport. I've owned two previous (standard blued) Mini's, both more accurate than this Ranch Rifle. I also owned a Colt Sporter Match (pre-ban HBAR type A2) and an M1A, but sold them both as I quit infrequent Highpower competition and wanted something less expensive to sit in the gun safe. The only issue I'm really concerned about with the Mini is costly, hard to find magazines. I picked up a factory Ruger 30rd at Collector's Firearms in Houston last week for $80 (used, excellent condition) after noting prices discussed here. If anyone's interested, Collector's has an early .222cal Mini-14 blued Ranch Rifle in great condition for (I think) about $850. Anyway, sorry for the length of this, does anyone have experience with rail mounted optical sights on Mini's?

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey stu, before ya go an buy a fancy barrel, and have your gas block reworked so it will fit, may I suggest a "quick & dirty" fix ? Order a muzzle brake from Cheaper than Dirt, (19.95) hang it on the end of your barrel to cut down barrel flip, then gather an assortment of ammo. Sometimes the cheaper ammo shoots well( your barrel twist is like mine 9-1, the faster twist won't affect lighter bullets, but will help stableize the 60+gr bullets, course each gun is different), a sandbag, and head to the range to discover what she likes. I've read that cleaning your barrel before ya shoot a different type of bullet helps, as mixing the powder residue does some strange things inside the barrel. Since ya been in competion ya know what to do with that heavy trigger! I bet ya your groups will be cut in half or better! Mags, ya got a deal on the Rugar mag, I use PMI's they seem to work fine, am going to order some Promags from fourfourmag.com, all their mags have a lifetime warrenty. Sorry can't help with the rail sights, I use a leupold 3x9 & Ranch rings. Works fer me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cajungeo, I appreciate your reply. I'll be in Grand Prairie soon to visit one of my army buddies that has one of the Minis I previously owned, told him we'll go to Cheaper than Dirt in Ft. Worth to get the double muzzle breaks for each gun along with some different ammo. I do intend to experiment with the original barrel for some time before replacement (fishing and deer hunting strains the budget, you know). If I can get the Ranch Rifle to group around 2-4" at 100yds I'll be happy. Also, I have an old Pantera Armory UMB-2 adustable compensator/A2 flash suppressor combination that I could install on the Mini, but don't know the legality of threading my obviously postban barrel. This thing is significantly heavier than the double break and might provide more vibration damping. The gun wouldn't meet "assault rifle" qualifications (only 2 evil features) with the barrel threaded, but I will have to confirm if modification of the barrel is legal (the UMB-2 cannot be welded on, must remain detachable to be adjustable).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts