Perfect Union banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to firearms and am planning on buying my first semi auto centerfire, my favorite design aesthetically is the M1/M14/Mini14(30) style. I however do not like the ammunition prices for 30-06 and .308, so the obvious choice is the mini 14 or 30. So far i like the mini 30 for the extra recoil (call me crazy, but i enjoy a bit of recoil) and cheaper ammo over the mini 14, as well as the fact i could use it for a deer gun (i hope,) and i had a couple questions about the rifle.

1. Will S&B surplus steel cased berdan primed ammo shoot reliably (I assume it should be fairly accurate for surplus since the new mini 30 bores are .310) in it, and if not is there any modification that can be done to make it.

2. Is the rifle capable of shooting 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards with the surplus (or with higher quality ammunition) if accurized, and if so how much would the modifications cost?

From browsing online i was looking at installing the hogue stock and a AMEGAScout2 scout mount, then running it with EOtech XPS2 i have, and a one point sling. Are there any non aesthetic modifications i should look at doing if/when i purchase a mini 30?

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
Check out the tips and trick section above. There is a lot of good info there on how to improve the accuracy of the Mini.

1. Will S&B surplus steel cased berdan primed ammo shoot reliably (I assume it should be fairly accurate for surplus since the new mini 30 bores are .310) in it, and if not is there any modification that can be done to make it.
Maybe, maybe not. Some have no problems getting the cheap surplus ammo to shoot, others are not so lucky. One problem with the surplus ammo is the Berdan primer, it's hard and tuff and as been known to take out a firing pin or two.

2. Is the rifle capable of shooting 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards with the surplus (or with higher quality ammunition) if accurized,
Maybe, every rifle is different and it is difficult if not impossible to predict what your rifle will like. It's possible it could shoot 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards with cheap ammo, it's also possible it may not shoot 2-3 inch groups with any ammo. You just never know with the Mini.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
3 inch groups are not too difficult to get, not sure about 2". Even the pre-580 mini30 can be tuned to shoot 3" rather easily.

I'd say get a 580/581 series gun and try it out. you will probably get lucky.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
you won't have any trouble getting 2" groups benched with good ammo and glass mounted if you do some of the mods listed here - mostly time consuming and elbow grease.
Welcome to the Mini page of PerfectUnion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned a Mini-30 for years now. Love how the rifle looks, and with brass case, soft nosed Remington ammo it is reliable and reasonably accurate out to about 150 yards. I can get 2.5" groups consistently at 100 yds with it. But that's only with the more expensive US made ammo. Try to put any of the cheap steel case stuff in it and the groups open up to 3" - 6" at 100yds, and that's if the round decides to fire. I tried shooting a couple of carbine matches with it at my local IDPA club. I had more live rounds with dimpled primers on the range deck at the end of the match than I had empty cases. Ruger could have a real winner if they would address the reliability issue with steel case ammo. I finally picked up an AK to shoot in the matches. Seems to shoot cheap Russian ammo, you need a cheap Russian rifle.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Mini 30's poor reliability with steel case ammo drives you into fairly expensive ammo anyhow. So the appeal of cheap ammo is lost on the Mini-30. What's the price difference between brass 7.62x39 and comparable 30-06? I've seen some pretty nice Garands sell for around $700 recently. Economy is tough and people are thinning the herd.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
'06 ammo is going for 15$ - 20$ box of 20. USA made X39 ammo is going for 12-18$/20 with Fiocchi about 10$/20 - or cheaper in bulk.
of course miul-surp is available for both at less$.
I'd like to find a good Garand for 7 bills myself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
'06 ammo is going for 15$ - 20$ box of 20. USA made X39 ammo is going for 12-18$/20 with Fiocchi about 10$/20 - or cheaper in bulk.
of course miul-surp is available for both at less$.
I'd like to find a good Garand for 7 bills myself.
Then you need to look here...

M1 Garand Sales

I took my 189 '93 model Mini30 out for a run this past Saturday and had numerous FTF w/ steel case ammo. All of it fired the second time around. Accuracy was pretty good. I was ringing steel (6"x9") with every shot from a 15 rnd USA stainless mag @ 165yds. I do reload for mine also.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I took my 189 '93 model Mini30 out for a run this past Saturday and had numerous FTF w/ steel case ammo. All of it fired the second time around. Accuracy was pretty good.
Had a similar problem this summer, seemes like the Mini firing pin needed second chance to ignite the hard primers.

·
Registered
756 Posts
My rec is get a Mini-14 tactical with the scout mount. My Mini-14s shoot everything I've put into a mag, to include green tip and walmart stuff. In my testing it is not the steel casing, for example my Mini-30 shoots the Hornady steel cased ammo great. Mini-30s a bit more selective re: berdan primed ammo, which most surplus is. Mini-14 is cheaper to shoot at this point and I think you'll get what you want short of a .308.

5L

1 - 11 of 11 Posts