Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ruger sent me a new Rifle and I went out to the range the very next day, and after 100 rounds of everything from steel cased wolf to commercial seller and bellot, it malfunctioned about 50% of the time.

The right locking lug hangs up, because of this tightness the fired case does not extract perhaps 30% of the time, and when the bolt carries another live round it get's extremely tight while attempting to go into battery, and when in battery it is so damn tight that when fired, it does not extract again.

I worked the action like 500-600 times with some snap caps to tighten things, and it lossened up a bit but c'mon I should have to fire 500-700 rounds to break in a rifle.

So I wrote ruger again and said I cannot keep doing this, and being without my rifle, what are they going to do to satisfy me, it better be big cause I am fed the f**k up

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought by now everyone would know that they shouldnt shoot commie ammo in thier mini 30.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I mean no offense, but don't know how much experience you have with Minis or guns in general. Did you field strip the rifle and thoroughly clean it and lube it before you took it to the range? Including the stock liner that the op rod rides in? If not, you should. If you did already, are you sure the return spring guide rod is not in upside down? It's an easy mistake to make and will bind the action.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Is it a ss model? I always have to use some fine sandpaper or polishing compound to smooth up the action on my ss 6.8 and target mini, sometime the target would have trouble cycling lighter loads. Polish or sand up the guide rod that holds the spring. Add some lapping compound to the top & sides of the bolt and work by hand about 100 times.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean no offense, but don't know how much experience you have with Minis or guns in general. Did you field strip the rifle and thoroughly clean it and lube it before you took it to the range? Including the stock liner that the op rod rides in? If not, you should. If you did already, are you sure the return spring guide rod is not in upside down? It's an easy mistake to make and will bind the action.
no offense taken, but absolutely, and thoroughly too

·
Empty Member
290 Posts
I mean no offense also , but let me see if I have this strait . You bought a used 15 - 20 year old Mini of unknown round count . The bolt breaks and yes , after some squawking , Ruger sends you a New Mini in 3 weeks . I personally would have been pleased as punch with just a new bolt , but we all have different expectations i suppose .

So You take it out and have some issues with the gun on the first range trip .
First of all what Magazines are you using ? Aftermarket possibly ? Just because they worked with your old one , descent mean they will work with the new one . Yes my Mini took ~ 300 to 500 rounds to loosen up . I also worked the chargehandle , bolt , and receiver over with fine emery , lapping compound , and polish on the interference points .

If you don't have the patience or garage gunsmithing ability , maybe you should take the new one and flip it . Find yourself a nice AK , Siaga , or SKS . You can use all the ammo you have on hand and probably be a few huno ahead depending on what you paid for the used one . Win Win for you . JM2C

·
Registered
74 Posts
My new Tactical would not eject. I had to manually pull each fired case out. After 100 rounds it ran flawlessly and still does even after adding front and rear .45 ACP shock buffers. It throws spent shells about 10 feet. Be patient and let it break in with quality US manufactured ammo.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Is it a ss model? I always have to use some fine sandpaper or polishing compound to smooth up the action on my ss 6.8 and target mini, sometime the target would have trouble cycling lighter loads. Polish or sand up the guide rod that holds the spring. Add some lapping compound to the top & sides of the bolt and work by hand about 100 times.
I sanded and worked it about 500-600 times my hands are sore, it is still stiff a hell of a lot better but still stiff, I should not have to "Break in" a rifle by cycling the action 500 times man

and yes it's Stainless steel, I think that has something to do with it

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mean no offense also , but let me see if I have this strait . You bought a used 15 - 20 year old Mini of unknown round count . The bolt breaks and yes , after some squawking , Ruger sends you a New Mini in 3 weeks . I personally would have been pleased as punch with just a new bolt , but we all have different expectations i suppose .

So You take it out and have some issues with the gun on the first range trip .
First of all what Magazines are you using ? Aftermarket possibly ? Just because they worked with your old one , descent mean they will work with the new one . Yes my Mini took ~ 300 to 500 rounds to loosen up . I also worked the chargehandle , bolt , and receiver over with fine emery , lapping compound , and polish on the interference points .

If you don't have the patience or garage gunsmithing ability , maybe you should take the new one and flip it . Find yourself a nice AK , Siaga , or SKS . You can use all the ammo you have on hand and probably be a few huno ahead depending on what you paid for the used one . Win Win for you . JM2C
all were factory five rounders, flip a malfunctioning firearm eh? thats real honorable. How bout you do you wanna buy it, It works great. I WAS pleased as punch until the thing didn't work right

I find it absolutely shocking that everyone's responses have been telling me that it needs to be sanded or broken in, for 500 rounds or this and that and the other thing, Are you all crazy, or is it me (No offense to anyone), but I thought a rifle should work when you buy it, without hurting your hand or spending 200 bux+ on "Break In" ammo, I should be able to buy it (clean it first)and shoot it, I am sure ruger will fix this problem as well, it will just take some time and I am an inpatient man. They could fix all of these problems with a quality inspection but they don't properly if at all inspect there stuff b4 it goes out, they don't even test fire the rifle. If they do test fire it then they must hire retards to do it because no way would a quality inspection team (one not assembled of monkeys or idiots that is) would miss this, it's so blatant and obvious that it hurts.

I hear all of those people say to get an ar or an ak, and I will someday, but I LOVE the mini, I love the m1 action, and I really don't want to give up on a Rifle that I think is the right one for me, I just need one that works right and it upsets me that Ruger would let all of these bad ones out in the first place, it makes me strongly regret ever buying ruger, it makes me think twice of buying ruger again, I had thought I would get a rem 700, ruger was good to me by sending a new rifle, so I said I would check out rugers idea of a rem 700 first, but not anymore man, I hate this, I just want my Mini to work so that I can be done with Ruger and they can be done with me, this is not ranting about my beautiful baby (my mini) this is me ranting about Ruger, thank you all for listening to my rant!

·
Empty Member
290 Posts
PM me if it comes up for sale . I was seriously thinking of getting a new 30 Tach , but a SS would be just as nice .

·
Registered
74 Posts
PM me if it comes up for sale . I was seriously thinking of getting a new 30 Tach , but a SS would be just as nice .
Sell it to him. I'm sure you'd get more out of it than you had in your old one and buy the Remington 700. Folks here have given you some good advice. If you'd prefer not to mess with it any more, sell it.
Even if you, or Ruger, get it running you'll probably never be happy with it because of the hassle you've gone through.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Usaully mini's don't come that tight from the factory, yours sounds crazy tight. It may be a real shooter without all the loose play ours has. It may shoot domestic ammo better, give it a try. I have never heard anybody complain about a mini being that tight and hard to work. Usally 100 rds will loose most guns up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Usaully mini's don't come that tight from the factory, yours sounds crazy tight. It may be a real shooter without all the loose play ours has. It may shoot domestic ammo better, give it a try. I have never heard anybody complain about a mini being that tight and hard to work. Usally 100 rds will loose most guns up.
hmmmmm very interesting point, i am no marksman, but i was barely trying and shooting 2 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds,the last mini didn't do better then 4 or 5

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
tight is good I suppose, with 2moa accuracy it is a keeper.

Add some polishing compond to the mating area and work the action, it will smooth right up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tight is good I suppose, with 2moa accuracy it is a keeper.

Add some polishing compond to the mating area and work the action, it will smooth right up.
polishing compound i assume has like some fine grit in it i suppose????? and yes i agree a 2 moa mini in my hands means an experianced shooter could do better imo, i don't want to mess it up, just makes it smooth as opposed to tight, i should be able to chamber check without pulling the charge handle this hard, it's looser now but still tight, at the beginning it was like i had to pull with all my might just to check the chamber, un real, i was and still am so shocked that this could get through a quality inspection, if it did it certainly would not have passed a fireing test, no way.

this is why i don't think they test fire, i've got a cz bruno bolt rifle, and it came with a little target that the test crew shot, just to proove it worked

·
Registered
271 Posts
Have you checked to see if everything is assembled correctly? The first time I disassembled it to clean it & reassembled everything it was extremely tight almost to the point of sticking. I took it apart again & double checked that everything lined up and that the action was smooth.

My M30 is a 581 ss series.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you checked to see if everything is assembled correctly? The first time I disassembled it to clean it & reassembled everything it was extremely tight almost to the point of sticking. I took it apart again & double checked that everything lined up and that the action was smooth.

My M30 is a 581 ss series.
okay guys, let's stop this nonsend about putting it together wrong or not cleaning it first, I am not offended or anything, but I actually diss-assembled it like 4-5 times just at the range yesterday, and another 2 or three times during the cleaning process, also, I have diss-assembled this and other mini's probably close to 100 times and they have always been done right, i fully diss-assemble and clean every single part after shooting, sometimes even the gas block and bolt come apart, EVERYTHING is gone over with a fine toothed comb

and mine is also a 581 SS mini 30

·
Banned
2,250 Posts
They could fix all of these problems with a quality inspection but they don't properly if at all inspect there stuff b4 it goes out, they don't even test fire the rifle. If they do test fire it then they must hire retards to do it because no way would a quality inspection team (one not assembled of monkeys or idiots that is) would miss this, it's so blatant and obvious that it hurts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :angry:

Sorry that you had to go through another "Ruger Moment". IMO you are on the right track with Ruger, they do not or simply cannot have any real quality control at the factory. They ship it all, the good the bad and the broken. It's just more of the same from Ruger. Now , shipping out a replacement firearm that doesn't work, that's pretty bad.

Send it back on their dime and have them fix it. If they fix it and you feel it is in good working order, then you can sell it or continue on with the Mini platform.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I think I will shoot another 50-100 rounds through it and continue to attempt, this break in period, but if I shoot on sunday and it keeps this up for 50-100 more rounds it's going back and I don't know if I'll ever be able to trust a Ruger again, even my 10/22 which has never presented a problem other then not liking remington yellow jackets

If I could find a mini that worked like my 10/22 i'd be happy, it works 100% the way it's supposed to with the right ammo, but the mini won't shoot anything proper right now, as I said I'll give it one more try and then I will legitimatly look at selling it and getting an AR, my buddy has a stag arms AR he's selling(any thoughts on the stag arms name???), I have also looked at the cz858 or maybe the FSN which is the same but chromed and with a shorter barrel

1 - 20 of 54 Posts