Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just traded a washer and dryer set for a mini 14. I believe it is the ranch style rifle. It is stainless with a black synthetic stock. He gave me two 30 rnd mags and two 5 rnd mags. He also gave me a nice Remington cleaning kit with it. I could throw about 300 dollars into it right now. I definitely want to put a new stock on it, and the accu strut. Any advice on mods would be great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought my Mini 182 SS used for $350.00.I added a $40.00 red dot,$15.00 mount and sold my folding stock for a newer tactical plastic stock.I traded some reloads to a friend for his factory ruger mags.Another friend gave me 2 30 rounders as he no longer has a Mini.I bought 4 Tapco 30 rounders and they work great.Lastly and the reason to keep a Mini is the extended mag release you can operate with your trigger finger I got from a member here.
I have $495.00 in a fine weapon that I shoot well. Just wanted to say,don't turn a 500 dollar rifle into a 1000 dollar rifle by adding 10 lbs of junk to it.
Congrats and good shooting!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have $495.00 in a fine weapon that I shoot well. Just wanted to say,don't turn a 500 dollar rifle into a 1000 dollar rifle by adding 10 lbs of junk to it.
More like don't turn a 500 dollar rifle into a 1000 dollar PIG by adding 10 lbs of junk to it.
Then again, its all about what ever makes you happy!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'd shoot it before you change anything....you may have a fine shooter without tricking it out. If you do change things, do them one at a time so as to know where the problem is should one arise. Change the stock, dial it in and shoot. Add the strut, dial it in and shoot, etc etc. Congrats on the new Mini. There is a buttload of information on this site, just use the search option, or just ask. :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you want the strut for its looks plus functionality, it is a great accessory to add. If you find the rifle strings shots when it heats up and cools down you can solve that with a Cryo job. I have two Minis that have been cryo'd and don't string. FWIW, I have backtracked a lot recently to a basic configuration for my 16" mini, because I decided light weight and great balance were more important to me than a beautiful laminate stock.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I'd shoot it before you change anything....you may have a fine shooter without tricking it out. If you do change things, do them one at a time so as to know where the problem is should one arise. Change the stock, dial it in and shoot. Add the strut, dial it in and shoot, etc etc. Congrats on the new Mini. There is a buttload of information on this site, just use the search option, or just ask. :D
This is pretty sound advice.

·
Banned
7,374 Posts
If you want the strut for its looks plus functionality, it is a great accessory to add. If you find the rifle strings shots when it heats up and cools down you can solve that with a Cryo job. I have two Minis that have been cryo'd and don't string. FWIW, I have backtracked a lot recently to a basic configuration for my 16" mini, because I decided light weight and great balance were more important to me than a beautiful laminate stock.
Where did you get the cryo job? and how much? Should a mini be cryo'ed before a trip to gundoc, or after? I agree with your assessment of how to best use a mini.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Shoot first with different kinds of ammo after a good cleaning. Some guns will shoot good without mods.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Where did you get the cryo job? and how much? Should a mini be cryo'ed before a trip to gundoc, or after? I agree with your assessment of how to best use a mini.
A cryo job can be done at anytime, I sent mine to Cryo Pro in Sprinfield, MO, they were fast and only charge $35 for the barrel and receiver together.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Cryo

I had CryoPro do my Target Model. The 16" 580 I have was done by the previous owner but I am not sure where.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts