Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to try out the new redot scope today and the action is stuck, and I mean stuck!
It worked fine last time it was shot, I cleaned it and put it up until today to try out new scope and now this.
I took the trigger assembly out, and now that wont go back in, and the saftey doesnt seem to work.
Ive only shot 4 clips through this and am really upset over this.
Can I get a local to fix it under warrenty or do I have to send back to Ruger, and whats the process?
I would appreciate any help anyone might have, as Im afraid this is going to have to go back then wont I have to pay all over to have transfer done?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I dont know what state u live in but Im pretty sure even here in CA you can ship ur firearm directly to the manufacturer and back without an ffl's involvement for repair. U may wanna hold tight for a second to see what the guys here say about the issue first. U could have something simple like a frozen op rod that can be fixed by yourself.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Sliding the trigger group in can be tricky. There is a channel or a bar or guide or whatever you call that down in there. You have to start the trigger group on it sort of at an angle to get it to begin to slide down on that part properly then it will go on down and seat. You also have to have your action bottomed out in the stock.

It may be something as simple as that and the fact it is a new gun so everything is very tight. Try pulling your trigger group back out unless it is solidly wedged in there somehow and start over with it. If you know someone else that has one of these maybe they could help or you might get some local help from a smith for not a whole lot of time and money.

I did something like this with my brand new Ruger Mark 3 more than once. Sent it back in to Ruger the first time. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong but I still got that fracken thing stuck again. I figured out how to unstick it and reseat it properly and now it is fairly simple.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
You have something in upside down. At the receiver end of the main spring there is a slot and a "device" that the guide rod of the main spring goes into. It's upside down. I don't recall all of the names of the parts. Someone will be here in a few minutes to help you out with the correct part names. kwg

·
USAF SF
220 Posts
I had the same problem, except I discovered it right after reassembling the rifle with a function check.

As others have stated, something probably isn't seated right. Disassemble and reassemble the rifle.

Then, do a few function checks before you try shooting it again.

For those of you who aren't familiar with function checks:

1. Ensure the rifle is unloaded and SAFE
2. Squeeze the trigger to ensure the SAFETY is working
3. Place the rifle on FIRE
4. Pull the trigger and HOLD it to the rear (it should click)
5. With the trigger held to the rear, charge the rifle
6. Slowly release the trigger (you should hear it reset)

I do this a couple of times to make sure the rifle is fully functioning.

·
American realist
316 Posts
i'll add something else as far as the action being 'stuck". always make sure you clean & lightly oil the outside of the gas bushing where it slips into the slide. i missed this once & the next time i took the rifle out, it was stuck also. had to take a rubber mallet & tap the slide handle until it was free of the bushing. thinking back, i disassembled the rifle first & due to it being stuck, had to remove the trigger group uncocked. had a helluva time getting it back together afterwards.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It sounds like you installed the recoil spring guide rod upside down. If you look on Page 49 of your Owners Manual (which can be downloaded as a PDF from Ruger), it is part number 18. Notice in the exploded view of the rifle, that the little tab at the rear of the guide rod fits into the buffer assembly (part 17) facing towards the top of the rifle. You are probably assembling it upside down on your bench, so that would mean that it would be facing down.

If this is not assembled correctly, the rifle will lock-up.

I would not recommend oiling or greasing the gas pipe. The extreme heat will carbonize the lubricant. The gas pipe should be left dry. If you don't clean your rifle (including wiping down the gas pipe) after shooting, sometimes the op-rod will rust to the gas pipe, locking the action closed.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This does sound like you have the guide rod installed upside down and also did you cock and lock the trigger before removing the trigger group from the rifle?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
broke mini 14

None of the above has been removed.
When i shot it previously it was fine. The only thing I removed after that, before cleaning was the trigger assemebly.
Left the slide back, and locked, and now this. I dont get it.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Can you take the trigger group out and pull the action out of the stock? Like the others said it may be the guide rod sitting upside down. Can you work the action with the trigger out? Did you store the gun without cleaning and bolt closed? Sometimes they will seize up on the gas piston if not stored clean, if not clean always leave the bolt open.

·
Registered
344 Posts
First, never take the trigger group out unless the hammer is in the cocked position, you can bend the trigger group latch if you force it out in the uncocked position. since you have the trigger group out, check the recoil spring rod to make sure it has the tip towards the barrel. If that's ok, cocked the hammer and put the trigger group back in. Then hit the operating rod with a rubber mallet or push it down with your shoe or a piece of wood. If everything cycles fine after that, it probably means the operating rod seized up on the gas tube. I personally put a little grease on my gas tube before storing to keep it from seizing up, been doing it for 25 yrs without any issues.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would agree,the trigger must be cocked in order to install it.I also put the safety on.it should not be able to be removed or installed unless it is cocked.If it has been forced there could easily be something damaged.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mini broke

When I posted this I meant the slide was froze open, the bolt seems free. Spring has never been out of the gun. trigger group is out also.Cleaned it last time shot, and left slide open.
Forgive my ignorance, but what and where is the gas tube?
This type of gun is all new to me. Thank you all.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Doug,
Is there any chance you could take some pics to help us diagnose the problem?

It's difficult to visualize, and since you are unfamiliar with the Mini's parts and operation, pictures would help the process on both ends.

·
Registered
276 Posts
i'll add something else as far as the action being 'stuck". always make sure you clean & lightly oil the outside of the gas bushing where it slips into the slide. i missed this once & the next time i took the rifle out, it was stuck also. had to take a rubber mallet & tap the slide handle until it was free of the bushing. thinking back, i disassembled the rifle first & due to it being stuck, had to remove the trigger group uncocked. had a helluva time getting it back together afterwards.
+1 seen this on several of the new minis, whack it with a rubber mallet. and lube the bushing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mini broke

Brien,
Appreciate the offer, but Im not good with the pic takin and postin thing. Besides, I took it to local guy yesterday in hopes he can fix, rather the ship it out.
I too have seen many threads where the thing was rusted or stuck fast, closed position, and they used the mallet on it, but only one with it stuck open. Would the same trick work on it ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Spring has never been out of the gun. trigger group is out also.Cleaned it last time shot, and left slide open.
You need to learn how to properly dissemble the rifle for cleaning. Just removing the trigger guard is not it. Then you will familiarize yourself with the rifle. It's all in the owners manual.

·
Registered
397 Posts
"new mini 14 tatical broke already! Help" These guns don't break!

·
Registered
344 Posts
When I posted this I meant the slide was froze open, the bolt seems free. Spring has never been out of the gun. trigger group is out also.Cleaned it last time shot, and left slide open.
Forgive my ignorance, but what and where is the gas tube?
This type of gun is all new to me. Thank you all.
I don't quite understand how the bolt is free but the slide is frozen since they move together. The only way this can happen is the slide came out of the track when you pulled it back. There is a notch at the rear where the slide rides that allows the slide to be removed. If it came out it may cause the slide to bind, I would not bang on it if it is stuck in the rear position, you may bend something. The only other thing I can think of that will cause the slide to be stuck in the rear position is the bolt hold open latch is stuck in the up position. Look inside the receiver, pull the bolt back and push the bolt hold open button down. You should be able to see the bolt hold open latch move up to hold the bolt back. If it doesn't move up and down when you push the button, the latch is probably stuck in the up position. +1 on reading the manual and if you have any questions come back on here, lots of people willing to help a newbie.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts