Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All these posts about the new Mini-14 tacticals jamming has got me worried.

I have a few of the new SS Mini-14 tacticals in the safe as SHTF weapons and bought them specifically because I thought they would be super reliable based on past experience with older mini's.

I was kind of excited about the new Mini-14 tacticals... It looked liked Ruger had finally "fixed" the flaws in the older mini's... The new tacticals had decent iron sites, were pretty accurate, and factory flash suppressor... But I'm worried that there's something fundamentally wrong with the new mini's. There's just too many reports of these rifles jamming with factory mags, something that was practially unheard of with the older mini's.

The posts where people are sending jamming Mini-14's back to Ruger and then getting them back and they are still jamming is really setting off alarm bells.

If wanted finicky jam prone rifles, I would have just bought a couple AR's...

Just curious, has anyone here actually managed to put 100 or more rounds through one of the new Mini-14 tacticals WITHOUT a jam?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I wouldn't too much about all the hubbub here.... I have NEVER seen a mini jam! Not saying there are not issues because everything has issues. But the Mini is as reliable as the day is long ;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Let me clarify :lol: I have never seen a well maintained Mini using Factory mags jam....
Got a little excited there :wacko:

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Min-14 Tactical has been 100% reliable using factory 30 round magazines and numerous makes of steel & brass cased ammo.

Matt

·
Registered
32 Posts
you gotta remember when you have problems you seek help. the 4 or 5 jam threads here are a huge minority compared to the hundreds that dont come and post threads that they had a jam free session...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got exactly 100 rounds of m193 5.56 through my new mini tactical. Not a single hickup of any kind. I had a similar concern to you, but I had already bought the rifle when I saw all of the jamming threads. lol.
People are more likely to make a thread on this forum to say that their mini is having a problem, than to say that it is doing just fine. I think that the vast majority of the new tacticals run fine, it's just that we only hear about the ones that don't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Made my 3rd trip to the range today with my new Mini-14 tactical. Have thrown 10 different brands of ammo at it in 10, 20 and 30 round factory mags for a total of 340 rounds. Not one single malfunction or jam. For today's outing I installed a Wilson 1911 shock buffer and it still put every one down range without fail. No complaints here :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm one of those that got a Jam-O-Matic Mini-14 Tactical. You've probably seen the two threads I started on my problems. This thread, which is 5 pages long with photos and this recent one on Mini-14 Back from Ruger. It's been a frustrating experience to say the least. I love shooting the Mini-14 and do not want to sell it, so I hope Ruger does eventually get it fixed for me.

As already mentioned, I, and those of us with problems straight out of the box brand new are in the minority. As frustrating as my problems have been, you still will not see me bashing the Mini-14 or Ruger. It was accurate out of the box, and is fun to shoot.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've got a new mini 14 tactical, and have a little over 500 rounds through it. It has ran flawless and shoots brass and steel case ammo without a single problem. It's one of the best functioning rifles I own and enjoy shooting it very much.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Best way to test, get out and see what ammo will work if you think you may have a problem mini, sitting the safe is not the way to be sure. I get out and shoot all my guns within the 1st week of purchase to make sure they operate and function well. Ruger has done well for most by taking the guns back and fixing free of charge. Most mini's have been problem free, shoot them to be sure with whatever ammo you have stored.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Brand new tactical mini from CDNN. Over 100 rounds with several different brands checking for it's "likes" No problems at all. factory 5 and 20 round mags

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just got a new mini 14 tactical. I've only shot Tula steel case 55gr fmj through it so far. The first 20 rnds I had probably 15 that would not eject. I pretty much had to charge the rifle by hand every shot. In the minis defence I did not clean it before the first range session. After that first mag she must have broken in. I now have 200 rnds through it without a single hiccup, and it chucks the shells like 20 ft away!

I'm very happy with my mini so far.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I've got exactly 100 rounds of m193 5.56 through my new mini tactical. Not a single hickup of any kind. I had a similar concern to you, but I had already bought the rifle when I saw all of the jamming threads. lol.
People are more likely to make a thread on this forum to say that their mini is having a problem, than to say that it is doing just fine. I think that the vast majority of the new tacticals run fine, it's just that we only hear about the ones that don't.
This is too true, the threads titled "Broken firing pin", "My mini tactical fell apart on me", and "Ruger's bad quality control" have caused some to panic and buy into all the propaganda. Also it bothers me that some people embrace the bad news because they too had a small problem with Ruger in the past. The number of these incidents also gets blown out of proportion, and these titles lead people to believe that all the new model minis are all bad. Go to an automotive forum and they have a whole troubleshooting and DIY section for diagnosing and fixing problems. For some reason people accept that their cars are going to have small problems from time to time but not their rifles. You have to be realistic.

My Mini 14 Tactical 580 series (lightly used) has over 700 rounds of Federal XM193 and XM855 without a single jam, failure to feed, failure to eject, etc. I maintain it regularly and clean it right after going to the range. Don't buy into all the hysteria Ron. Take your Minis out and shoot em lightly every so often to make sure you don't have a lemon. That is really the only way to find out. You'd hate for the STHTF and have both of your Mini's jam up on ya. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
More like 1000+ 2009 581 tact. Actually I am lying I had (1) jam (FTE) one time, middle of the mag, running Hornady (as always), cleared, went through the rest of the mag, and never had a problem since, I attribute to ammo. Get the tact. and quit worrying about it, are you going to quit driving because some people had accidents?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have two minis, one being basically the tactical, but with the circassion walnut stock. It has pefrformed well with no jamming with numerous rounds downrange. however, I notice on this forum that there is concern in this regard. I have some comments/observations in this regard.
1. Learn the manual and become familiar with the weapon and proper maintenance. Practice diss-assembly and re-assembly.
2. Use quality ammunition and keep the same in supply. A hundred rounds of quality ammunition is preferable to a twofold or more supply that is questionable in regards to reliability.
3. Practice sustained controllable fire on target rather than emptying magazines. A round not on target is wasted and is gone forever.
4. The mini is not "fire supression" weapon. That is best left to the likes of an MG-42, M-60 or another crew served weapon, belt feed with interchangeable barrels. Learn history and tactics. Sgt. John Basilone (USMC) spent most of his night on that ridge on Guadacanal going from one Browning water cooled thirty to another getting them back in action. Don't expect the mini to be what it is not. Anything can break or malfunction especially if used for a purpose it was not designed for.
5. In a SHTF situation the key is survival, not taking an objective. Avoid the fight. If you are staying in one place to defend, then rely on other strategies/force multipliers. Learn from the Viet Cong. Booby trap the area as quickly as possible once the "Balloon' goes up. Dig tiger pits and/or punji stakes (save a gift from your latrine). Save some beer bottles for Molotov cocktails (mix with liquid detergent so it sticks). Study your terrain. you know it better than somebody happening along.
6. Team up ahead of time with like minded individuals. An individual will be vunerable. That is why our forefathers formed militias.

Well those are my thoughts for what they are worth!

·
Registered
167 Posts
One more thing! if you form a group, militia, etc. then form in groups of three. One to hold the heads down of the aggressor, one to manuver and one in reserve. simple concept and proven.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I own four Minis, including two late model taper-barrel tactical models. It has been a few years since as much as a FTF, never anything I couldn't clear in a second with my finger tip, and nothing I could blame on the gun. That's factory hi-caps and older production Masen 30-rounders, various mfg brass ammo.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I got my Tactical I cleaned it and put Wilson .45 ACP shock buffers on it (front and rear) as I had done on my SS 580 and 581 Ranch Rifles. On the first range session with the Tactical I had several FTE's until I removed the buffers. When, after 30 or 40 rounds, it started ejecting brass at 12 feet, I put put the buffers back in and it's run fine since.
Some do require a few break-in rounds as do many other quality guns. Les Baer, Kahr and others require 400-500 rounds for break-in per factory instruction.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine did not jam at all and I don't even remember the last jam that I got, but mine had problems with the ring mounts when I got it.

It seems the newer Mini 30's and Mini 14"s are having a lot of quality issues.
I would check to see if it's the operating rod comming out, seems to be an issue on many new one's, there is a post about it.

Other than the ring mount issue, I'm glad I got my mini when I did, just too many problems with the new ones, maybe I should wish I got mine before the ring mount problem :rolleyes:

I had a Mini 30, but all it did was jam, I sold it. The Mini 14 I have now seems to be pretty good, but it has had some work done to it also.

eric

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have only been able to put around 200 rounds through mine so far, have not had a jam. All with Ruger factory mags and Federal ammo.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.