Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I joined back in 2018 when I owned a 583 series Mini-30 and still lived in California. I moved to Texas in 2019 and actually sold that Mini-30 to buy a Lee Armory AKM that I still own today.

Recently my grandfather gifted me his 183 series Stainless Mini-14 and several hundred rounds of ammo.

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Machine gun

First thing I did was remove that scope and mount and reinstalled the factory rear sight. That Leupold will actually be moved to the new AR I've been building once a new mount arrives.

Musical instrument String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments Wood

Other than magazines I will most likely be installing a new rear sight, Accu-strut, and buffer spring. Other than those upgrades I don't want to change anything else. This is a beautiful rifle and I don't want to tarnish it with all kinds of gadgets or a "new" stock.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Very very nice. I have a 581 series & one of the 1st things I did was replace the heat shield that came with it with a Choate that looks much better. One of the things I like about the look of the 183 series is the wood heat shield. Wish there was an aftermarket wood one that could be purchased for the newer models.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Shoot it first and see if it meets your expectations and needs. A Mini is NOT a sniper rifle, but a carbine.

The 183s did not generally come with a wooden upper hand guard, so cherish that.

For every "mod" you may consider, make sure it is reversible. I have a 181 and will never make an un-reversible mod to it (I learned my lesson with minor mods to my '69 RoadRunner - my first car in 1972). There are some things one can .never "un-do".

Gas bushing adjustments will likely not help eject distances: those improvements are mostly for Ranch (and above) models. Your eject distances are determined by the power in the bolt's eject spring., rather than the forcefulness of the cycling in the Ranch Rifles.

Tech Sights makes a VERY nice M-14 replica for that series - one that I have eyed for my 181 but declined to keep my 181 (my very first firearm) original. In over 40-yeas of ownership, I have never had the need to adjust the original rear sight settings, and have no issues about the rear sight. I have had no issues with that original sight; the newer 583s required (for me) an immediate Tech-Sights replacement. Probably just me, but the newer sights - IMHO - just sucked.

With patience, your Mini should be good for 300 yards - with patience. The barrels are known to wobble a bit with rapid firing, but settle down quickly. My 181 is a "GB" model, with flash-hider and bayo lug that attenuated some of that wobble. Without mods and Army M193 ammo, it consistently took down ½ pop-up silhouettes at 300 meters (Army range) with the factory iron sights with 3-4 MOA from a fairly impatient shooter (me). M193 are 2-3 3 MOA, so there isn't much difference. I considered accuracy-enhancing solutions, but decided it does everything I wanted (and expected) , so it is pretty much as it left the Ruger factory in 1977.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shoot it first and see if it meets your expectations and needs. A Mini is NOT a sniper rifle, but a carbine.

The 183s did not generally come with a wooden upper hand guard, so cherish that.

For every "mod" you may consider, make sure it is reversible. I have a 181 and will never make an un-reversible mod to it (I learned my lesson with minor mods to my '69 RoadRunner - my first car in 1972). There are some things one can .never "un-do".

Gas bushing adjustments will likely not help eject distances: those improvements are mostly for Ranch (and above) models. Your eject distances are determined by the power in the bolt's eject spring., rather than the forcefulness of the cycling in the Ranch Rifles.

Tech Sights makes a VERY nice M-14 replica for that series - one that I have eyed for my 181 but declined to keep my 181 (my very first firearm) original. In over 40-yeas of ownership, I have never had the need to adjust the original rear sight settings, and have no issues about the rear sight. I have had no issues with that original sight; the newer 583s required (for me) an immediate Tech-Sights replacement. Probably just me, but the newer sights - IMHO - just sucked.

With patience, your Mini should be good for 300 yards - with patience. The barrels are known to wobble a bit with rapid firing, but settle down quickly. My 181 is a "GB" model, with flash-hider and bayo lug that attenuated some of that wobble. Without mods and Army M193 ammo, it consistently took down ½ pop-up silhouettes at 300 meters (Army range) with the factory iron sights with 3-4 MOA from a fairly impatient shooter (me). M193 are 2-3 3 MOA, so there isn't much difference. I considered accuracy-enhancing solutions, but decided it does everything I wanted (and expected) , so it is pretty much as it left the Ruger factory in 1977.
I actually decided I'm going to keep the factory rear sights. Believe me, I know Mini's are not sniper rifles. I'm not expecting 1 moa out of this thing. The Accu-strut is because I already know the thinner profile barrels will whip. The buffer spring is because I know this particular rifle doesn't always feed properly, even with factory mags.

I have however decided to find a new stock. As much as I said I didn't want to change it out, the length of pull on this stock is way too short for me. So I will definitely be picking up something else for it. But I will be keeping the wooden stock and cover. It is in beautiful condition.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I actually decided I'm going to keep the factory rear sights. Believe me, I know Mini's are not sniper rifles. I'm not expecting 1 moa out of this thing. The Accu-strut is because I already know the thinner profile barrels will whip. The buffer spring is because I know this particular rifle doesn't always feed properly, even with factory mags.

I have however decided to find a new stock. As much as I said I didn't want to change it out, the length of pull on this stock is way too short for me. So I will definitely be picking up something else for it. But I will be keeping the wooden stock and cover. It is in beautiful condition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts