Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired via trade a 195 series that looks nearly unfired. I can't find a mark on the stock. I traded a Remington R1(plain jane 5" 1911 that I have under $550 in).

I also received in the trade a Ruger 5 round, 2 Ruger 30 round, 3 Thermold 30 round, and 3 no-name 30 round mags. 2 of the Thermolds are unused in original packaging.

I've done the AR thing, have other 1911s, and already reload for the 223...and I've always been enamored with the looks of the Mini! Must be a by-product of watching too many episodes of the A-Team in the 80's!

So - how did I do?

·
Vigilant Curmudgeon
789 Posts
I approve of your upgraded switch. Nice trade including the mags(extras). My neighbor just got his 1st 1911 ( a Rem. R-1 ) I had to act excited for his sake. There are 7 other makes that are as good or better for the price.

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
You did fine. You can always buy another R1, since they're in production and a minty new old gen mini 14 doesn't come along every day!

Now, if you're going to run irons on that beast, take a look at the tech sights rear sight. It's a fine upgrade IMHO. Just be sure to get the right one, since they have several different versions for the ranch and the regular mini 14, not to mention the newer 58x series....

Best and good luck,
Grumpy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I'm going to have to run optics. Trifocals have really screwed up my sight picture on long guns. Handguns still seem ok, probably due to the sight radius.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First range trip went well. Snow and sleet here in MN so I opted for an indoor range(50 yard max). 1 5 shot group and just over an inch, and most of the rest at 1.5-1.75.

I have too large a scope on it(Mueller APV) so I'll need to find something a bit lighter.

Slightly off-topic, but I haven't fired a semi-auto at an indoor range since the madness began. I couldn't believe the folks grabbing EVERY empty within reach. As we know with the Mini the ejection is rather robust, so from a total of 100 rounds of 223 I fired I only recaptured 21 empties!

Time for a brass catcher, I guess.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yep you need the mo rod and mo reaper. Mine has the skinny barrel as well. She always shot well. But they will open up as the barrel warms up. Thats a wow on the folks snatching brass. Mine is an old 181, she chunks the brass out front at 2:00, may be 6-8 feet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mo-Rod and mo-Reaper were ordered Tuesday, and showed up today! Front sight has some Kroil on it now, as the damn thing didn't budge and completely ruined a piece of oak I was using to get it off!

Tomorrow will tell me if I'm splitting the sight or successfully knocking it off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So is that mini a fun rifle to shoot or what!?!?!?!
Its a ton of fun! As a dedicated prairie dog shooter I'm always searching for the best load/float/bedding/etc. combo and can be very critical of myself when I miss. However, as I have fully embraced the fact that my mini will rarely be a sub-MOA rifle its a hoot!

Even when I used to use ARs for PDs I was never happy with less than sub-MOA and poured more money and time into those rifles than I ever told my wife.

I'm down to just one AR platform rifle now, an Armalite AR-10 that is my foul weather deer rifle. I don't miss my .223/5.56 ARs but I'm seriously in love with my new-to-me Mini!

·
Registered
8,399 Posts
Its a ton of fun! As a dedicated prairie dog shooter I'm always searching for the best load/float/bedding/etc. combo and can be very critical of myself when I miss. However, as I have fully embraced the fact that my mini will rarely be a sub-MOA rifle its a hoot!

Even when I used to use ARs for PDs I was never happy with less than sub-MOA and poured more money and time into those rifles than I ever told my wife.

I'm down to just one AR platform rifle now, an Armalite AR-10 that is my foul weather deer rifle. I don't miss my .223/5.56 ARs but I'm seriously in love with my new-to-me Mini!
It may not be sub MOA, but here is a group I shot with mine this afternoon. 1-9/16" at 100 yds. Action's not bedded, trigger job is one of mine (just a polish of the surfaces) it is a 581 and has an accu-strut. Scope is a plain jane Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40. Ammo was military surplus Israeli Army M193 ball, okay but not a tack-driver. Get your mo-bar or accu-strut and a good trigger and bedding job with some handloads and you'll better. And you'll have just as much fun as you are now!

Best,
Grumpy
PS Sorry about the lousy photography. Too much flash on the ruler - but you can still make out the group okay and it really is exactly 1/16" over a true 1.5MOA group.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Try heating it a little. Not cherry red or nuthing just get it hot. give her a good wack and she will come free. thats what I had to do to mine. Ive had to do the same to some old bearings and such working on cars before. Make sure you have the pin out, Im sure you did.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up splitting the original sight. I hit it with propane for ~4 minutes with a diffuser tip. Aside from igniting the residual Kroil there was no improvement. After a few minutes with the Dremel I used a cold chisel to release the pressure and it slid right off.

As others have posted previously, the barrel had an odd reddish coating under the original sight. A few seconds with CLP and some XXX steel wool and all is good.

The Mo Reaper looks awesome! Unfortunately business travel will not allow me any range time for 2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.