Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a new mini 14 all weather 581 series i have 2 10 round mags and a 5 round mag all ruger. i cant shoot a full mag without 1 or 2 failure to loads i called ruger and they told me to try a heavier grain bullet.i can understand an ocational jam with bad ammo but should'nt a mini shoot any 223 regardles of grain size. im a litle irritated at ruger the reason i wanted this gun is because of how reliable it is supposed to be and it irks me to think i have to use a certain ammo to make my gun shoot right

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
i called ruger and they told me to try a heavier grain bullet.
That's a new one!! Ruger is always first to blame others, especially the ammo. They claim their Mini is the most rugged reliable semi on the planet, yet we read post after post of new mini owners that can't get them to run.

I quick question for the Mini lovers here, What does a heavier grain bullet have to do with reliability??

Bring it back to where you purchased it and either have them send it back to Ruger for you or refund your money.

·
Registered
52 Posts
581 Jam

I've got a 581 tactical that is super picky about the mags I feed it. It will run on 30 rnd plastic pro-mags all day long, but WILL NOT feed from a 20 rounder. To buy mags at a gun show is a crap shoot. No problems at all with factory 20s or 30s. I just received 4 20 rounders from Hoffmans Gun Store for $20 bucks apiece. If you shoot 5.56 ammo, you're better off with factory mags because of the length of the round, just from my experience anyway.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
I've got a 581 tactical that is super picky about the mags I feed it. It will run on 30 rnd plastic pro-mags all day long, but WILL NOT feed from a 20 rounder. To buy mags at a gun show is a crap shoot. No problems at all with factory 20s or 30s. I just received 4 20 rounders from Hoffmans Gun Store for $20 bucks apiece. If you shoot 5.56 ammo, you're better off with factory mags because of the length of the round, just from my experience anyway.
Good point Jack, but the OP is running Ruger factory mags. So I doubt that's it, maybe, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my 581 and after reading a few posts on here I decided to give it a good cleaning. I haven't had an FTF since. Try cleaning first, then start looking at other stuff if your problem remains.

·
Registered
819 Posts
It is no excuse, but the ten rounders are relatively new and may have rushed into service without proper testing. The originals 10's don't seem to have a problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Picky eater

I've been wondering, do the AR people have the same problems with feeding as the minis do? My experience with battle rifles is limited to the M-14s we had on the Tin Can which i qualified at Dix, sharpshooter, even with the crap ammo we used. Didn't have any FTFs, either.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
I've been wondering, do the AR people have the same problems with feeding as the minis do? .
Nope! They feed smooth as silk if kept clean. That was the big claim to fame for the Mini vs AR crowd. The Mini will always run clean or dirty, not like them there picky AR sumbitches that have to stay clean to shoot 50-100 rounds. Too bad that the Mini has become a rifle that will not feed clean, dirty, new, old stainless, blued, etc.etc.

BTW, I'm running a little test with my Colt AR-15. I'm going to shoot it without cleaning until it fails. So far I have 568 rounds through it and it still runs great. Oh, and accurate too!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i feild striped and cleaned it as soon as i got it and after every use since.i thought it might just need to be broke in so i ran a barol breakin on it since i want to accurize it as much as posible without putting a new barol on it anyways. ive ran around 300 rnds of cheep pmc 55grn fmj through it. i couldnt get through a mag (5 rnd or 10 rnd) without a rnd getting stuck on its way to the chamber

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
i think you ott to sent it back to rugar and deeman you monny back rite a way. dont take no for a ansswer.;)
Hey gcrafty1, You get any feed back from the above post?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be an a$$, even though I really am an A$$, but if you want others to take the time and effort to respond to you questions and concerns, the least you could do is take the time to use proper punctuation and grammar. I'm just sayin.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Now, we don't want to be sounding like elitist gun snobs but sometimes there's that overpowering fish smell which can't be ignored. Hard to tell sometimes which end of the pole the fish is on. Just sayin'.....

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sounds wierd to me. My 581 feeds anything form wolf/bear to match ammo 55 gr to 75 gr from my 5 rd, all three 10rd, and all four 30 rd magazines without any issue.

Call ruger again and ask to speak with a supervisor. They probably have a flashcard for the phone jockeys that reads "RECOMMEND HEAVIER GRAIN BULLET" because that is the best way to increase a mini's accuacy out of the box. (I can go from 3-4 MOA with 55 gr to 1-2 MOA with 62 gr).

For sure sounds like for sure an issue with the rifle. I doubt all three magazines are defective. Normally I hear good things from ruger customer service, but I'm sure you just got really lucky with an idiot who answered. Just call again and explain it very slowly to however many managers you need too... It's a great rifle my friend, don't bail out on it yet.

To the AR guys who took this opportunity to bash on rugers... Lets just go ahead and pretend that AR's don't have a reputation for being finicky themselves... Is one factory defect enough to really brand a rifle, known by those who own it to be rugged and reliable, as a POS forever?

I really dont get it. I don't like AR's much, and I have very good reasons not too, but I dont lurk in the AR forum and bash on them every chance I get. Please, it's getting old, just stop and go home. Not a single one of the thousands of happy mini-14 owners cares how much better you think your rifle choice is.

Hell, half of us own AR's as well. I dont even know why they get compared so much, they're not really even made to compete with each other.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You need to return the gun to Ruger with a letter explaining your problems. Photos of the problem helps. Contact them thru email to get it set up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got a 581 series eats everything that I feed it. Will work with any aftermarket mag I have put in it...I did give it a good cleaning before I first shot it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
i feild striped and cleaned it as soon as i got it and after every use since.i thought it might just need to be broke in so i ran a barol breakin on it since i want to accurize it as much as posible without putting a new barol on it anyways. ive ran around 300 rnds of cheep pmc 55grn fmj through it. i couldnt get through a mag (5 rnd or 10 rnd) without a rnd getting stuck on its way to the chamber
I've shot a lot of the PMC ammo without any issues, so it's not likely to be the cause. While you did clean your Mini, did you also lube it?

Have you inspected to walls of the chamber, for any nicks or scratches?

Might want to try a 20 round mag, just to compare.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
To the AR guys who took this opportunity to bash on rugers... Lets just go ahead and pretend that AR's don't have a reputation for being finicky themselves... Is one factory defect enough to really brand a rifle, known by those who own it to be rugged and reliable, as a POS forever?
You must be talking about me and my reply to Jack's question about the AR and it's ability to feed without issues.

First, I'm not an AR guy and second you need to get out more and do a little research and reading before you open your yap.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hard to imagine Ruger told u that u need to experiment with the right grain .223; I bought the 581 tactical and it hasn't had one hiccup with about 350 rds thru it; smells like u ain't doing something right or are just kicking up some "dust" to stir up some of the Ruger fans on this string, just my observation.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.