Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

I wanted to thank the guys on this forum for their helpful posts on the Mini family of rifles. I've been lurking recently after deciding to purchase another Mini-14. Had I found this forum earlier I probably would have kept my first Mini and "worked" on it a bit before selling it.

I bought my first new Mini a year, or so, ago, wanted it for a dedicated iron sight gun but I couldn't do any better than 3-4" at 50yds with it. I slapped an Aimpoint red dot sight on it and still couldn't do any better at 50yds. This was the first rifle I had owned in .223 caliber and didn't know much about bullet selection for it with a 9" twist. The factory ammo I tried was the UMC 55gr FMJ stuff and, I think, the few handloads I tried were with Hornady's 55gr FMJ. I did fall in love with the little .223 though, but thought that much of the talk of the Mini's "poor accuracy" was, indeed, true since I had put about 300rds through it and, if anything, accuracy was getting worse...so I sold it and bought a Rem M700 SPS tactical in .223- also with a 9" twist. It didn't shoot the 55gr FMJ's worth a hoot either- factory or handloads, I then tried some Sierra 65gr SBT over a starting load of H-4895 in my M700 and got 5-shot 3/4" groups at 100yd. That's when my lightning quick brain figured out that the canalured 55gr FMJ's probably weren't going to be that accurate. Oh, how I wished I had tried that Sierra load in my departed Mini.

Anyway... I kept missing that Mini so I did a little Googling and found this forum with it's many, helpful posts and ordered another Mini "Ranch Rifle"- It should ship next week. It will be in the same configuration as my first one, that is, blued with a wood stock but I'll replace the wood stock with a Houge since it looks like it will be a better fit, around the forearm, for my slightly large hands . I'm still determined to use a Mini for my "iron sight" play gun, if for no other reason than; I think a scopeless Mini is much easier to disassemble and clean since it rests so handily on it's back with no scope attached.

Just for the record; I have a bad habit of buying and selling guns, as well as reloading equipment. I'll buy something just to play with it, then get bored with it and sell it, only to dart off on some new "can't live without it" buying frenzy. ...I'm really trying to do better by keeping guns/reloading equipment after the "new" wears off. I fact, I intend to keep this next Mini for better or worse.

Just wanted to say "Howdy" and thank the members here for their helpful "Mini" posts.

Sean,

___

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi Hardball, if you ordered this mini it sounds like you'll be getting one of the newer thicker barrel ones. You may be surprised at the accuracy, they seem to be doing better than the old ones.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Welcome! Your habit of buying, selling and/or trading guns is probably the norm for most of us here.:lol: Glad you're giving the Mini another go. My most accurate loads with a 581 series Mini are with 77 gr bullets over Varget, so yes, in the case of newer Mini's, heavier can be better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm hoping she'll shoot good with Sierra's 69gr MK over a does of W-748 with a CC-400 primer- since I have those components 'a-plenty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts