Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy,

As a former huge fan of the M16/AR15, etc., it was hard to be without one for several years. But today I finally rectified the situation!

Today I picked up a new S&W M&P Sport II. After reading a little about both the Sport II and the Ruger AR-556 online this past week, it really was a tossup. As for price, they were the same at my local shop.

A few things swayed me toward the Smith once I had the chance to handle both side-by-side. First was the proprietary stuff on the Ruger. Not that it isn't high quality or anything, but once I saw them in-person, I preferred the more GI look of the front sight base, pistol grip and front sling swivel on the Sport. Next, while it's not a big difference, I preferred the 1 in 9 twist of the Smith to the 1 in 8 of the Ruger. I had a Bushmaster with 1 in 9 many years ago and it did well with M193 and M855. One more thing; while both rifles used flip up rear sights on a pic rail, I noticed the Smith had two apertures (fine and ghost ring) while the Ruger had one.

At that, I made my decision.

When I got home, I took her down for a good pre-shoot cleaning. As expected, she was full of that assembly oil many manufacturers use to keep things rust-free during shipping and storage. I gave her a good cleaning the way I did with all my ARs back in the day: CLP, a rag, brushes and patches. I'm pleased that my middle-aged brain did not forget how to do it! I guess it's like riding a bicycle. I tell ya, there is just nothing like stripping down an M16- the way everything comes apart and in a minute you have access to the bolt, firing pin, extractor... love it. :cool:

I have not fired the rifle yet but have a few questions already, as I am familiar with the M16 but not familiar with the current Smith or Ruger models.

This rifle was very tight. Is that common? Perhaps I was used to mil-spec 20-incher A1s and A2s that just flopped open when I punched the rear take-down pin but this girl required some coaxing! Also, the hammer appears to be plastic! Is that what S&W does these days? Does Ruger do the same? That would have been a factor if I had known.

So, that's all for now. I plan to swap out the six-position stock for my old A1 or A2 soon and hope to get to the range soon. I'm sure I'll have more questions then.

SO happy to be an AR15 shooter/owner again!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Took her to the range for the first time today. Sweet.

(10) Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing | Perfect Union

One more thing, specific to the S&W rifle. I've fired many M16/AR15s in my life and never had any complaints about the triggers. I've heard guys complain about M16s having heavy, lousy triggers, including today with various commercial rifles.

This Sport II has an outstanding trigger! Wow. I was impressed at how light and consistent it is in this (relatively!) inexpensive rifle.

Also, I fired three different types of ammo with no hiccups of any kind. (y)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I probably would have favored the 1 in 8 twist, but that’s just me. I have 7, 8, and 9 twists, the 8 just seems to be the best compromise for my taste. Other than that, who knows? Never heard of a plastic hammer on an AR, that’s news to me!
Anyways, congrats on a new AR. Glad it is shooting well for you. It will probably loosen up after a thousand rounds and a few tear downs for cleaning. Now I have to call my bro-in-law, I think he has a sport II, I gotta check it out.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I probably would have favored the 1 in 8 twist, but that’s just me. I have 7, 8, and 9 twists, the 8 just seems to be the best compromise for my taste. Other than that, who knows? Never heard of a plastic hammer on an AR, that’s news to me!
Anyways, congrats on a new AR. Glad it is shooting well for you. It will probably loosen up after a thousand rounds and a few tear downs for cleaning. Now I have to call my bro-in-law, I think he has a sport II, I gotta check it out.
Note on the hammer: Every M16 I saw before had a metal hammer, so this one looked odd to me. It has a hollow, molded look to it so I assumed it was plastic. After doing more searching I have learned it is apparently "MIM," a type of metal powder injection molding (or something). This technology is new to me but apparently it is being used in hammers, triggers and other rifle and pistol parts lately. It concerned me when I saw it but maybe someone more knowledgeable can shed some light and put my doubts to rest! :oops:

Be well.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
This should help explain the new style parts being produced.
Some gunsmiths were surprised when they put these parts
in their standard cleaning solutions and the parts disintegrated
if they were left for extended periods. The latest parts are made
using a 3d printer. Who'da thunk...

·
Patron Saint of Rye
531 Posts
For a budget AR, they’re fine.
Make sure the gas key is properly staked and be aware that the barrel is 4140 so you won’t see the longevity of a 4150 barrel, particularly if you run it hot.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For a budget AR, they’re fine.
Make sure the gas key is properly staked and be aware that the barrel is 4140 so you won’t see the longevity of a 4150 barrel, particularly if you run it hot.
Barrel is also treated with that "Amorite" finish, supposed to be tough.

Gas key staked, just like all other ARs I've owned over the years.

Either way, I'm very pleased.

Be well.

·
Patron Saint of Rye
531 Posts
Barrel is also treated with that "Amorite" finish, supposed to be tough.

Gas key staked, just like all other ARs I've owned over the years.

Either way, I'm very pleased.

Be well.
That’s just what they call their version of a nitride treatment. Nitride is an excellent process, but it’s not magic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts