Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range today and tested a new load. 4 rounds of 60 grain soft points of unknown variety and 25 grains of IMR 8208 shot at 50 yards.
kwg

Attachments

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello San
I did not. My primer was Federal Match primers. No pressure signs on the primer or brass. I have tried that particular load. (23.6) I still have some loaded at that weight. They shot like total crap out of my Mini. I tried 24.4 and they were as equally inaccurate. Doing some math I come up with 54,766 lbs of pressure at 25 grains. I like to stay under 55,000 lbs of pressure but with the Ruger proprietary chamber I feel safe going slightly over that number. Like I would with a NATO chamber. IN this case the number came under the 55,000 lbs.

To get to my numbers I use the listed lbs of pressure (51,700) and divide it by the highest grain weight. (23.6) I then multiply the sum of the first two numbers (241.52542372) by the amount of powder I want to use. (25) Which is 54,766 lbs of pressure.

Not every powder maker lists pressure numbers. And, very few list the bullet I want to use which is why I try to stay under the 55,000 lbs of pressure. I know there are variables but the forgiving nature of the Mini 14 chamber gives me some confidence I won't see any pressure signs. If I were shooting the 60 grain bullet out of a bolt action with a standard .223 chamber I would be very close to the 23.6 grains as suggested.

I have noticed that my Mini gives slightly better accuracy at the top of the pressure numbers (just under 55,000 PSI) and with a slightly heavier bullet. I like the 60 and 62 grain hunting bullets. The FMJ's just don't seem to be very accurate no matter what I load compared to the hunting bullets. I also put on a 3-9 scope and took off the 2-7. It seems the 9 power option gives me a finer aiming point. I know the gun is more capable than I am but my eye sight just doesn't allow me to use iron sights anymore if I want to shoot for accuracy.

I use 50 yards because my spotting scope is a 20 power scope. I can't see the bullet holes in the target at 100 yards and I'm just too cheap to buy a better spotting scope. I have also found the Federal Match Primers are worth the extra money.
kwg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts