Perfect Union banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys. I am new here, just got used Mini 14 s/n 19502.... Yesterday went on range to try it first time and she shoot very good-no any probles whatsoever. Everything functioning as it designed.
Then I looked the primer inprint from firing pin and found weird looking picture. Does anybody can give me an idea what is this. Just want to know. I know if it is not broken-then don't fix it. It looks like the fring pin has a crown and ball like part on pic is actualy convex and not a concave (usuaily seen on inprint from firing pi). I have measured how much pin sticking out from breaching face and it is .035", so dimension looks good to me.
Thanks a lot for your help.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I'm not seeing anything wrong. It looks typical of other pin indents I've seen before. The primer is not "flat" to indicate a powder overload. I guess I'm not seeing the problem you described. Keep in mind every pin is going to leave distinctive marks that make it individual. kwg

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
seems I see what you are referring to - a sort of bulge in the center of the primer.
I'm doubtful this could be harmful - of course a pierced primer is no fun but IMO this one is a long ways from piercing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So the primer hit looks sort of like it was struck with a finishing nail set (punch)? Probably has more to do with the primer cup than the firing pin. The FP probably made a nice spherical dent, then upon ignition the cartridge pressure popped the puckered dome back outward. It is certainly unusual. And I would not say for sure that you don't have a problem with the ammo, if not the rifle. I'm wondering if the cup is on the brink of piercing, even if it hasn't done so yet.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
It looks fine, could be pressure from the ignition do to an over sized flash hole going to the powder charge.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thax a lot guys. You are the best.
I treaded in my Colt Cobra for this beutty and I think I did good. Some people say Colt has more value, but I already in love with my mini. I shoot 50 rounds yesterday at 100 yards with stock sights and I put everything in 8" circle. So she shoot better then I do.
The only one thing I don't like-somebody polished her to shine and now I need to fix this.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
It is a pretty gun! Definately and eye catcher, good for plinking but not for hunting. You could paint up with dura coat. Look thru the gallery and you'll see many different types and colors combinations.;)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Palmaris; It looks just fine. Looks like my Mini Ranch before I got into this site.

Do some reading for there's lots to be learned here. Many ways to get your Mini shooting to it's best.

Made a note of what series Mini you have. Mine is a #188 S/S. Having spent some time on its improvement it will hold groups within 2" at 100 yards (using hand loads). And I ain't done yet! Gives one an idea of what can be done.

I wouldn't worry about the primer strike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Palmaris; It looks just fine. Looks like my Mini Ranch before I got into this site.

Do some reading for there's lots to be learned here. Many ways to get your Mini shooting to it's best.

Made a note of what series Mini you have. Mine is a #188 S/S. Having spent some time on its improvement it will hold groups within 2" at 100 yards (using hand loads). And I ain't done yet! Gives one an idea of what can be done.

I wouldn't worry about the primer strike.
X Man.
Thanks a lot for advice. I am reading all info here, take a lot of time for reading, but all info has value of real gold. I am so thanksfull that all members here are sharing their expirience and ideas.
2" groups is beyond my abilities, so if I be able to shoot 5", I will be more then happy.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Very nice. That's a good looking rest and bag you got there, but I need to ask. Did you set that rifle in the rest just for the photo or is that the way you set it into the rest for shooting?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Palmaris WELCOME to PU.

Paul

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.