Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have shot guns before, all 9mms. But i have small hands.....I am a male 5'1 140lbs if that helps. What would be a good first 9mm for me to purchase...and should I get full size, or compact?? I have only shot full size...an M&P and also a Sig Sauer P228 i believe. All suggestions and comments welcome!!!!

Thanks very much guys!

Gunshooter :)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You stated you have small hands so I's go with a compact model.
I carry a Taurus 24/7 Proo C 9mm that has a small grip, I have big hands so I use the extended mag, I love the Pro C except for the long trigger pull, but I've had no problems with it.
Good luck in your search!
I dont know which gun to get to be honest...still doing research...I am more partial to a Beretta Cougar 8000.... I want something nice looking but not too expensive.....I am very interested in the decocker/safety...but more the manual safety,...makes me feel soo much more comfortable! Andlaos I am taking the police exam in Mass....this April...only a few weeks! If I do get hired by an academy as I am not going to wait until they through the list of candidates.....how do I go about the process of getting a LTC...and should I get my own weapon or bring the dept issue weapon to weapon training/practice shooting......

· Registered
164 Posts
At 5'5", I have no issues with my fullsize M&P 9. That said, I've recently been lusting after a Kimber Pro Carry in 9mm (a Commander size 1911 but not chambered in .45 ACP). More expensive than my M&P. It's a got a single stack mag so it holds fewer rounds than my M&P, too. OTOH, size is perfect for smaller hands. Also would provide continuing satisfaction to 1911 addiction. :D

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At 5'5", I have no issues with my fullsize M&P 9. That said, I've recently been lusting after a Kimber Pro Carry in 9mm (a Commander size 1911 but not chambered in .45 ACP). More expensive than my M&P. It's a got a single stack mag so it holds fewer rounds than my M&P, too. OTOH, size is perfect for smaller hands. Also would provide continuing satisfaction to 1911 addiction. :D
Whats a good cheap 9mm.......umm $500 max I want to spend. And anyone read about my LEO exam im taking in April.....just any comments suggestions ont hat would be sooo beneficial!

· Registered
302 Posts
Well if you are going to be a police officer I would recommend using your issued gun as much as possible for everything. There is nothing better than trigger time with a good weapon especially one that you may end up betting your life on. Especially if you are not that familiar with handguns in the first place. Learn your issued piece inside and out and continue to learn as much about shooting as possible that way you will be able to make a better informed choice on a personal gun in the future and you will also be that much better with your issued firearm.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if you are going to be a police officer I would recommend using your issued gun as much as possible for everything. There is nothing better than trigger time with a good weapon especially one that you may end up betting your life on. Especially if you are not that familiar with handguns in the first place. Learn your issued piece inside and out and continue to learn as much about shooting as possible that way you will be able to make a better informed choice on a personal gun in the future and you will also be that much better with your issued firearm.
Thank you USMC0341 :)

Anyone here been a LEO?? Some questions!!!

· Registered
19 Posts
Do you want polymer or steel frame?

If you are looking for a steel frame that is not terribly expensive, even with today's prices. I would suggest the Arcus 98DAC. $350 out the door, reliable, accurate, and I think it is fair looking... No decocker, but it has all other features you are looking for.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you want polymer or steel frame?

If you are looking for a steel frame that is not terribly expensive, even with today's prices. I would suggest the Arcus 98DAC. $350 out the door, reliable, accurate, and I think it is fair looking... No decocker, but it has all other features you are looking for.
Honestly....Didnt like the look of the un....Im sorry to be picky guys just I would like a plymer small handgun thats nice to carry. What do most police depts issue??Do you have to go for your dept issue or can you you substitue your own weapon as your duty pistol???

:)

· Registered
4,752 Posts
I'm basically new to this too, but my research led me to buy my wife and I two Glock 26 Gen4s. Very happy with them so far after putting about 250-300 rounds through each of them. These will be our carry guns, taking classes next month for CCW. Also picked up a Glock 19 from a friend and really like it too.

This guy is my favorite reviewer.

401 Posts
My nephew is is LEO. He uses Springfield XD 40 compact. I would agree with him. The XD 9 is a good choice also if your set on 9 mm.

I have the XD45 and I have had zero malfunctions. Now a few years ago when I could afford the ammo I would shoot 150-250 rounds a session and never a failure.

Good Luck and thanks for your Public Service

· Registered
663 Posts
Gotta agree with a few of the guys here. We have both an XD 9mm and a Ruger SR9C and they are both awesome guns to shoot! Im more partial to the XD because my hands are huge, but my girlfriend (5'4'', 110#) has the Ruger fit perfectly in her hands.

You can't go wrong with either of them IMHO

· Registered
444 Posts
Honestly....Didnt like the look of the un....Im sorry to be picky guys just I would like a plymer small handgun thats nice to carry. What do most police depts issue??Do you have to go for your dept issue or can you you substitue your own weapon as your duty pistol???

:)
I would want what the dept issue to carry that way the mag will work in each other guns.

· USAF SF
220 Posts
Gunshooter,

The type of handgun issued varies from deparment to department. My state's highway patrol carries an M&P .357SIG. My county Sherrif's Department carries Glock 9mm. My neighboring county's Sherrif's Department carries an M&P .40.

As you can see, it is up to each agency to decide what handgun fits their needs.

· Registered
88 Posts
Gunshooter, one of many things you should consider, before making your selection, is how you want to carry your CCW. During the cooler parts of the year I carry a G26 in OWB holster, but during the summer months I spend most of my time in shorts and a tee shirt, making the G26 too hard to hide. For the summer months I prefer to carry a Kahr CM9 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. This was a recent purchase, and I'll probably adopt it as winter carry as well. Nice, light, accurate weapon that's easy to conceal.

· Registered
103 Posts
Newbie here, but I would plug the Steyr M9 which has a great feel, tremendous sights, striker fired for around $500 new.

The Ruger S9 has a manual safety, and folks rave about that...safeties are hard to find these days.

For cheap, good guns, see if your LGS has any LEO trade-ins. NYC has furnished about half of my handguns, for which I thank Mayor Bloomberg!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.