Perfect Union banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here,

I'm a long-time Lurker, need some advice and opinions.
I have a 580 series thin-barrel. Unfortunately, I didn't know about the thicker-flanged barrel. Got stuck with the skinny. Never shot it with irons (just with a red-dot scope), so I don't know how good my irons are sighted in from the factory, out-of-the-box. What should I expect? I also installed a 5-inch Socom Accu-Strut, which is the small one with only one clamp but I mounted 2 instead, to help with the heat sink. I added a Choate ventilated handguard for running cooler and a Tapco stock. I can't afford to shoot right now, but want your honest opinion on my setup - how it will handle, how it will shoot, especially with the small Socom on the thin barrel. Has anybody run that setup? Did it help with the accuracy or heat sink, or did I just waste my money on it? Basically, do I have a piece of crap? I like it, worried about stringing, though. I also bought a bunch of 20-round Pro-Mags that I THINK I've broken in by wearing the feeder spring down. They dry-cycle fine. Will they work?

I built this as a SHTF rifle. Can't spend any more money. Does anybody have a 580 thin-barrel with a small Socom, but with 2 clamps?

Please let me know any info, good or bad. PM me (Or whatever). Thank all you guys so much! :confused:

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I have the exact same rifle. I added an accustrut, put a tapco stock on it, had a trigger job done, added recoil buffers, and took the gas block apart,smoothed it out and retorqed the screws so they were all the same. So far my best group is 1.2''@100yrds. I will say that right out of the box it was shooting 2-3'' groups so it was a good rifle to build on. I dont have a problem with my iron sights, I can shoot pretty good with them and dont have any plans to change them out.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was the socom 5" a waste of money

Thanks, qwman68 for the info, but what I realy need to know has anybody put the small 1 clamp 5" socom on a 580 thin barrel. aiaf so did it do any good with stringing/ vibrations/ heat sinking? Please if anyone has any experience with the 580 thin barrel let me know all data good or bad. Or was the socom 5" a waste of money. Thank all you guys very much, all imput needed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
qwman68 I will say that right out of the box it was shooting 2-3'' groups so it was a good rifle to build on that was a big help thanks. I just want/need all the input I can get.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
I would and I do. The mini (mine anyway) is a hell of a gun. I have tons of reloads and several mags. Except for 1 issue with tula ammo I have never had a malfunction with my mini, plus its pretty accurate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dawgstar, I don't think you've wasted your money at all. I don't have a Socom on my 580 series yet, but I plan to get one soon. Every review I've read of the Socom is very positive. They work well as a heat sink and help to tighten up groups and reduce stringers. You should sleep well at night knowing that you have a good setup - just in case you ever need to use it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Would you trust your life with it any time or shtf situaion, stright out of the box ???.........
No--I wouldn't trust my life to it out of the box. I also don't think you 'wasted your money' on it. It's a machine. Some work great, some need to be tweaked, some are out of spec and won't run.

You need to run many hundreds of rounds through it. If it's solid, you'll know it then and can trust your life to it, should such a thing ever become necessary.

Worry less about accuracy improvements until you know what the rifle can actually do. Shoot the iron sights. At 25 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards, 200 yards. Adjust them along the way. Once your irons are set and you can repeatedly make hits on man-size targets, then move on to optics, etc.

Mini-14s are good rifles. But don't just buy one, shoot 20 rounds through it and put it in the back of your closet in case of a SHTF event. Get it squared away, and make sure it's reliability and accuracy are known quantities to you.

·
communism hater
3,917 Posts
No--I wouldn't trust my life to it out of the box. I also don't think you 'wasted your money' on it. It's a machine. Some work great, some need to be tweaked, some are out of spec and won't run.

You need to run many hundreds of rounds through it. If it's solid, you'll know it then and can trust your life to it, should such a thing ever become necessary.

Worry less about accuracy improvements until you know what the rifle can actually do. Shoot the iron sights. At 25 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards, 200 yards. Adjust them along the way. Once your irons are set and you can repeatedly make hits on man-size targets, then move on to optics, etc.

Mini-14s are good rifles. But don't just buy one, shoot 20 rounds through it and put it in the back of your closet in case of a SHTF event. Get it squared away, and make sure it's reliability and accuracy are known quantities to you.
To me right out of the box is brand new and fired over 200rds. I wouldnt trust any gun right out of the box, but if its a mini I would be willing to bet that 99% of the time it will shoot and be reliable right out of the box.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
A strut will work as a heat sink but it does not get as hot as the barrel does, just a little warm. You can get either size strut or make your own, it will improve groups on the skinny barrels. I trust the mini to preform as it was designed straight out of the box but I shoot reloads and I trust them also. If you want a shtf rifle, you need to have quality ammo for a mag or 2 or if you want to take the chance of a misfire in bulk ammo...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts