Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, really glad I found this site, hoping to learn a lot.

I grew up with guns around the house, but they were mostly just in case they were ever needed for self defense. Same with my wife. Neither of us ever actually shot very much and, really didn't/don't know much about what we're doing. Dianne Feinstein and Obama inspired us to turn it into a more serious hobby.

Someone my wife works with had a Ruger mini 30 for sale, and we decided to buy it for ourselves for Christmas. Since then we've started stocking up, arming ourselves and trying to learn what we're doing. We joined a local range, we've signed up for CCW classes, bought two new Glock 26 Gen 4s and Crimson Trace Laser Grips for carrying, a Glock 19 from a friend, a S&W M&P 1522, I've ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe holster, I already had a S&W Sigma 40 VE and a Mossberg 500 Cruiser for a couple of years, we have 1000 to 3000 rounds of ammo for all the different calibers we have.

I bought a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9-40 scope for the Ruger, we've bought extra mags for everything, lots of accessories, et cetera. We've watched hundreds of youtube videos (Hickok45 is my favorite) and read hundreds of articles. We both signed up for 5 year NRA memberships. We're serious about learning and enjoying this new hobby, and serious about protecting ourselves and our rights.

Anyway, There doesn't seem to be a lot out there about the mini 30 and I was starting to think I was the only one who owned one. I stumbled across this forum and have only read a couple of posts so far, but I'm thrilled to have found it.

· Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
Anyway, There doesn't seem to be a lot out there about the mini 30 and I was starting to think I was the only one who owned one. I stumbled across this forum and have only read a couple of posts so far, but I'm thrilled to have found it.
the 30 is a damn good gun - but they can be picky on what ammo you feed it (mainly steel cased stuff) Brass is usually good to go.
Mine (it's a 581 series) doesn't like Wolf, or tula.
for cheap stuff - mine likes Burnaul Silver or Gold bear
for hunting I use Federal powershok Soft point.

I'm not a huge fan of the AK - great gun... but I'll forever think of it as "the bad guy's gun" and just have a personal aversion to it. but I do like the x39 round as a close in game thumper. (it flies and hits like grandpas 30.30) and I wanted an auto loader with high cap capability that was suitable for close work on pig and deer in the rainforest (and could be used for defense if needed) my stainless all weather mini 30 ranch fits the bill perfectly.

· Registered
345 Posts
Good little gun but probably more scope than you needed. Won't hurt anything, just be a wee bit more cumbersome to lug around. May I suggest you set it at the low setting for maximum view and quicker acquisition of your target, I think you will find it more than adequate at 25 yard plinking range all the way out to serious group shooting at 100 to 200 yards.

· Texas
117 Posts
Hey guys, really glad I found this site, hoping to learn a lot.

I grew up with guns around the house, but they were mostly just in case they were ever needed for self defense. Same with my wife. Neither of us ever actually shot very much and, really didn't/don't know much about what we're doing. Dianne Feinstein and Obama inspired us to turn it into a more serious hobby.

Someone my wife works with had a Ruger mini 30 for sale, and we decided to buy it for ourselves for Christmas. Since then we've started stocking up, arming ourselves and trying to learn what we're doing. We joined a local range, we've signed up for CCW classes, bought two new Glock 26 Gen 4s and Crimson Trace Laser Grips for carrying, a Glock 19 from a friend, a S&W M&P 1522, I've ordered a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe holster, I already had a S&W Sigma 40 VE and a Mossberg 500 Cruiser for a couple of years, we have 1000 to 3000 rounds of ammo for all the different calibers we have.

I bought a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9-40 scope for the Ruger, we've bought extra mags for everything, lots of accessories, et cetera. We've watched hundreds of youtube videos (Hickok45 is my favorite) and read hundreds of articles. We both signed up for 5 year NRA memberships. We're serious about learning and enjoying this new hobby, and serious about protecting ourselves and our rights.

Howdy! I went to New Richmond HS there. I'm also kind of a Bengals fan. I'm new too. Welcome!

· Registered
267 Posts
Dang, y'all picked a helluva time to go jumpin' into weapon collecting with both feet! But no time like the present when the future's lookin' bleak, I guess.

Welcome to you both. Listen up, train hard, and don't forget to sit a spell and sip a little B&B every once in awhile. It's good for the nerves. We're thrilled to have you here.

· Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Howdy! I went to New Richmond HS there. I'm also kind of a Bengals fan. I'm new too. Welcome!
That's around Greenville, right?

WHO DEY!

Dang, y'all picked a helluva time to go jumpin' into weapon collecting with both feet! But no time like the present when the future's lookin' bleak, I guess.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Welcome to you both. Listen up, train hard, and don't forget to sit a spell and sip a little B&B every once in awhile. It's good for the nerves. We're thrilled to have you here.
Honestly I'm old and terribly out of shape. My chances of surviving a serious SHTF scenario for very long are slim. I won't go out defenseless, cowering in a corner though. I'll do what I can to help my family survive.

· Odd Pachyderm thingy
1,285 Posts
welcome to the PU forum, the 30 is my rifle too.
I agree with old grump a 3x9 is a bit much for the M30, I had one mounted then changed to a 2x7 Burris tactical. seems better of a 'fit' to me
same here - was running a 3-9x40
(which worked ok... but found myself leaving it on 3x most of the time)

switched up to a Burris Tac 30 1-4x
with the CQB ballistic reticle. (then emailed Burris with my load and got ranging data for the x39 round for that reticle) the reticle is optimized for 5.56.

if any of you x39 boys go to that scope with that reticle contact me - I have range data for a 100 yard zero for that combo - I'll share :lol:

· Bandelo
3 Posts
Putting together a AR-15

Have been shooting for many years. Have a Benelli shotgun and a CZ rifle with a Kimber 1911 and a S&W Ultralight for hand guns. I sold my Rock River AR several years ago (Big Mistake, but had to have the money), and am in the process of putting together another AR now. I started with the new Mag Tactical ultra-lightweight lower receiver (6.9 oz.) and am going to use an Aero Precision upper until Mag Tactical releases their upper this summer. Managed to find a DPMS 16" Barrel and put a UTG 4 position stock on it. Am waiting for a Ni-Boron BCG and Upper receiver parts. Please see other post on 4 poitsition vs 6 position stock. Will the 3/4" difference in length have any effect on performance?

Welcome to any advice and look forward to hearing from you all. Happy Shooting.

Bandelo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.