Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am the proud owner of a series 184 mini-14-a nice little gun that is a lot of fun to shoot, but I don't get much accuracy at 100 yards with open sights-but here goes.
Can someone tell me what the twist rate should be for this rifle? ( it is "pre-ban, being mfg. in 84 or 86??) I had been shooting the 'hot' XM193 and some of winchester's 55 gr. 'varmint' loads. My groups aren't consistent enough to give a MOA report yet. The only thing done other than it being stock is that I added an Eagle flash-suppressor, but I might try the BW muzzlebrake I have seen mentioned here. I sent an email to mike in oregon regarding the trigger job and gas block kit, so I am awaiting hearing from him on this. I figure I'll have to bed the action, and what other tricks are there other than fire-lapping, which I know nothing about, but am mech. inclined (former machinist)..??
And magazines. Gawd, to find an aftermarket one that works for crying out loud!! USA is junk, as well as Ram-Line (I find these before I happen upon this BBS), but I did find a factory Ruger 30rd. at a gun show needing a rebuild for $40. Now if the Brownells parts will support redoing this 30 rd'er.....
I really would like to have a forward type mounted scope, so does anyone have recommendations for mounts/rings,etc. so I can leave the factory open sights alone???
I am forgetting the other questions I had right now, but for now...

·
Registered
9,765 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just put the scout mount on my stainless mini, it looks real clean and you can see the iron sites through the center of it. I put a BSA red dot on it, but im not happy with it. Any one know of an afforadable pistol red dot?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Form,
Why don't 'cha like the BSA red dot? Is it magnification, or lack of? Parallax? Sight picture?

I own a Aimpoint 2000 (red dot, no magnification), which I could never get sighted in. I'm convinced that I didn't know how to use the darn thing, so I'm going to give it another go.

Do you plan to mount a pistol scope on your mini-14? Inquiring minds want to know.

KC

:usa:

·
Registered
427 Posts
mikr,
With regard to your first post and USA magazines:

I briefly owned a USA mag for my mini-14. Until it embarassed me in front of friends.

It worked on my first range outing, however, there were a couple jams. I squirted some brake-free into the black hole but it didn't help any on that outing.

The next time I went out, when I tried to cycle a round, it ejected all 10 rounds out the top of my mini-14! It would not hold more than 3 rounds without throwing them all out! Pissed off, I threw the magazine in the trash can at the range.

I might've figured out the secret why some mags work and some don't. What's so darn special about factory mags?

KC

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure what type of scope I am going to use, other than the fact it will have to have good eye relief. With the factory magazines, I don't know why the aftermarket guys can't follow the prints or specs and make them (patents, perhaps?) to the call-outs, with out trying to make any useless "improvements" or anything else to make them stand out. Obviously you can't stray too far from original design without making the magazines junk.

For the scope I am thinking Leupold, though.:cool:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just hung up with Ruger c.s. (michelle,was it?), and we traced down D.O.M. to April 1987, and that that put the barrel as a 1 in 10" twist. Also got the mag springs and followers ordered to renew the factory one I received when I bought the gun and also to redo the mag I picked up at last Saturday's gun show.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i think the leupold scopes are the way to go. i put one on my mini, a bit spendy but they have the best warrenty. i could have bought two for all the money i've spent on cheap scopes. good luck and enjoy your mini!!:beer: :usa:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey mikr the aftermarket mag guys, stamped out as many mags as they could before the ban, so quality control was not as high a priority as quantity.
I bought a Leupold Vari-Xll 3-9X40mm for $179 at Academy Sports. The Gloss was $50 less than the Matte or Stainless, Go figure? Great eye relief, it works for me:D
Formula97, Even though this is a mini-14/30 forum we'll let the pistol question slide. Check out the Millet red dot at midsouth shooter supply $74, they can take magnum recoil! I'm waiting on the Millet multi dot for $116.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts