Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I just bought my first mini-14 last week. Found an unfired stainless Ranch (195-xxxxx) from an older gent locally.

Uncle Sam taught me how to operate an M-16. Then many years later I bought an AR. I am pretty proficient with the AR and out of the box, its a great shooter. The AR, while a great rifle, is way too over done for my tastes. So, I sold off the AR and bought the mini.

I have been reading about the accuracy issues inherent in some mini's. I am ready to jump in full force and with an open wallet to build a hot rod mini that can out shoot my abilities.

At this moment, plans call for a match trigger with stop, a strut (store bought or home built) blackening of the stainless steel and a front sight. (I live in NY and we still have an AWB in place) Flash hiders/suppressors are illegal here, but muzzle brakes are legal, so that may be an option too.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Hello all.

I just bought my first mini-14 last week. Found an unfired stainless Ranch (195-xxxxx) from an older gent locally.

Uncle Sam taught me how to operate an M-16. Then many years later I bought an AR. I am pretty proficient with the AR and out of the box, its a great shooter. The AR, while a great rifle, is way too over done for my tastes. So, I sold off the AR and bought the mini.

I have been reading about the accuracy issues inherent in some mini's. I am ready to jump in full force and with an open wallet to build a hot rod mini that can out shoot my abilities.

At this moment, plans call for a match trigger with stop, a strut (store bought or home built) blackening of the stainless steel and a front sight. (I live in NY and we still have an AWB in place) Flash hiders/suppressors are illegal here, but muzzle brakes are legal, so that may be an option too.
Hi CJ;

Congrats on the purchase - I think you'll like your Mini 14. In terms of accuracy, a strut should help the older gen bbls, and a better trigger never hurt, but there are two items I would suggest you look into first.
1. Action bedding. Not so much that your rifle necessarily needs it, but it has been my experience with Garand actions that action/stock fit can be a critical thing for accuracy. Check for a loose fit and if you think its too loose take appropriate corrective action.
2. Better sights. Is your mini a Ranch Rifle or a "regular" Mini 14? Tech Sights at Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories makes some stellar iron sights for both. Make sure you get the right one for your rifle if you go that route.

If you are going to mount an optic, I have had good results with a Millett DMS1 on an AR in the past. You will need 30mm rings if you go that route instead of better irons.

Stock bedding can be done at home (acraglas, etc) so when you have a feeling for the inherent accuracy of your rifle you can go from there. If it was me I would work on the strut after ensuring that stock/action fit and sights or optic are good to go.

Good luck on your rifle, and don't forget to nag the heck out of your congressmen if you want to keep it (legally)!
Grumpy

·
Registered
5 Posts
i just got a mini 30 last week really like it this the new mod. pretty tight groups at 100 yards i think with a good triger job it will be a better weapon

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi C.J.
Welcome. I am also a newbie here.

I escaped from ny in 1972 and didn't look back.

I did spend 11 years in the peoples republik of new jersey before I escaped from there.

G Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts