Perfect Union banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to gunsmithing, and especially Mini 14's. So far, I looooove my 196 series. I haven't done anything to it yet, but I would like to do everything that Z Man did, except I want to put a bullbarrel on it instead of shortening the factory barrel. I don't know much about gunsmithing right now, so I was wondering what it meant to "bed" a rifle, and how I could do it myself. I like to work on my things myself, for the satesfaction of it and so I know that it's done to my standards. IF you would please give me some info I would GREATLY appreciate it. THANKS

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey Hyper. First a couple of tips on getting posts on your questions. When you have a fresh subject such as yours, it is better to begin a new thread, so it will show up on the thread index, for all to see. If you attach a fresh subject onto someone elses thread your post may be over looked. So I broke off your post to form a new thread for you. Now to take a stab, at answering some of your questions.

I really admire people willing to take on new skills, and want to do it themselves, instead of hiring someone to do for them. As far as gunsmithing goes, many of us have: Modified: barrels, stocks, trigger groups, gas system, recoil, magazines. Installed: Muzzle brakes, barrel shrouds, scope mounts, bipod/adaptors. Even develope, and reload our own ammo. A real "Gunsmith" is who we take our guns too when we need a job that requires a high degree of knowledge, skill, or tools. The best tool you can have for learning about "light gunsmithing" is the Search button in your upper right control panel. Just enter key words, and all related posts will come up with your key words in RED

Bedding is using an epoxy/fiberglass mixture to bond to the inside of the stock common to the receiver/recoil lug area, to fill all gaps between stock, and receiver so under recoil, there is no movement between the barrel/receiver, and stock. Results in higher accuracy. Cost for an Acurgass bedding kit is $14. Enough to do 4 rifles. Gunsmiths, charge $35 to $45.

For your match barrel question, use the search, and enter Shilen, or bull barrel. (A gun smith will have to do that job) Now if were talking Ruger 10/22 we do that ourselves. Visit our 10/22 forum. Again welcome aborad. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yo Cajun, Thanks for all of your help, I REALLY appreciate it. I trust what u say, and admire you. You're always helping people with their questions. All of the posts that i've seen with questions, you always help them. I think that's great that you're willing to share your knowledge with all of us.

One more question: does the bedding kit come with instructions?
Thanks again for all of your help! And thanks for all of the help you're going to give me in the near future too.:cool:

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Thanks for your kind words Mr Hyper. To answer your question, The kit comes with genneric instructions for bedding.

I am helpful because my boss Bill (administrator) gives me a nice salery, company car (a new Vet), Nice office, and he let me hire my own staff, and private secretary. If you believe this, I have some swamp land I'd like to sell ya. :D :D :D

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Originally posted by djskit
Does this thread really have over 2500 views -
That just don't seem to make sense :confused:
You have a keen eye for detail djskit. Good catch. I split this thread from Z-man's sticky, so it inherited the 2500 + from Z-man's.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey Hyper Sniper---You might want to go into your profile & change your location so that everybody in the world doesn't have your address!

Just my 2¢
Bushwack

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I joined this forum, I didn't know it was going to show the whole location. All of the other forums i have ever been on have asked for it for verification purposes. I was going to change my location, but never had time until now. Thanks for reminding me bushwack and Cajun. well, gotta go do something now. I'm too hyper to sit down and read for long periods of time. Talk to ya later.:confused: :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts