Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"AK-10/22"
Surplus "communist red" AK-47 pistol grip mounted with original AK screw and mounting nut on a shaped factory stock (couldn't find a wooden pistol grip/thumbhole stock made for a lefty, did it myself). VOLQUARTZEN titanium firing pin and extractor also drilled approx. 1 oz. out of the bolt; along with a buffer there's negligible bolt recoil. Weaver base, Warne quick detach rings with a 3X-9X, 40 Bushnell. Extras include an Hk style front sight, holes and slots muzzle break (glorified hood ornament), stock extender buttpad, Volq. ext. mag release. Solid, comfortable offhand shooter.

Opinions, questions and suggestions on what to do next are more than welcome, Thanks in advance. P.S. just joined today.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum dmhjvftx. Thats a slick 10/22 you've built. How did you attach the pistol grip to the stock? If you haven't already here is a cheep mod that dosen't cost anything. An auto bolt release. Check out this thread: http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/showthr...=&threadid=3044
Also some have reported an increase in accuracy just by removing the barrel band. A big mod on both my 10/22's was doing a trigger job. I installed a Volquartsen match hammer, and spring set. It cost about $31, but the drop in parts droped the trigger pull from 7# to a sweet 2 1/2#. It especially helps during rapid fire. Thanks for the picture.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the compliment and the idea, I had to chisel out a "T" into the underside of the stock behind the trigger. I found the parts on ebay, of all places, it was a fairly tricky job with the tools I had... Chisels and a Dremel tool. The most fun was shaping the stock so it sort of made a lefty thombhole, minus the actual hole. I've thought about the auto bolt release but releasing the bolt as a lefty is no trouble one handed. A trigger job could be in the future, thanks for the recomendation.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by cajungeo@Feb 2 2003, 07:41 AM
Welcome to the forum dmhjvftx. Thats a slick 10/22 you've built. How did you attach the pistol grip to the stock? If you haven't already here is a cheep mod that dosen't cost anything. An auto bolt release. Check out this thread: http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/showthr...=&threadid=3044
Also some have reported an increase in accuracy just by removing the barrel band. A big mod on both my 10/22's was doing a trigger job. I installed a Volquartsen match hammer, and spring set. It cost about , but the drop in parts droped the trigger pull from 7# to a sweet 2 1/2#. It especially helps during rapid fire. Thanks for the picture.
I'm faily new here also.
Is the VQ match hammer and spring set hard to install.
I've never worked on a 10/22 before. I'm not much of
a mechanic, to say the least. :(
I would appreciate any
advice, recommendations, and also warning of what NOT
to do, or what NOT to buy.
Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
313 Posts
Very easy to do. If you have broken down the gun for cleaning then you can do it. Bassicly just take off the barrel band, unscrew action screw, set saftey in the middle and lift the barreled action out of the stock. Push out the pins holding the trigger group to the reciever. Then if you have not done this before spend a few minutes looking at your trigger group to understand how it works. Check out this thread over at RFC for a more detailed explenation http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthrea...?threadid=13305

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Hey dzrtram. You can look at your manual schematic or down load one from rugers site. You don't need the sear. Just the match hammer and spring set. Leave the std hammer spring in, as it is stronger for more consistant strikes, and dosen't affect the trigger pull. The shims are sandwiched between hammer ,and hammer bushings. While you have the trigger assy apart, you can convert your bolt stop to an auto bolt stop. Its easy to do if you have a dremmel. http://www.perfectunion.com/forums/index.p...wtopic=3044&hl=

1 - 8 of 8 Posts