Perfect Union banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the midst of our country's direction on gun control, yesterday I proudly purchased my first AR. I went with the Colt 6940 with the SOCOM package... I hope I made a good decision, I felt like Colt has a long standing reputation in firearms. I do realize the 6940 has some drawbacks when compared to the 6920, mainly the shorter rail system. But supplies have gotten extremely limited and now isn't the time to be extremely picky!! Now I am trying to pair an optic system with it. I was looking into the Trijicon AGOG 4x32 with a top mounted RMR. Is anyone familiar with this optic? I am concerned that the double stacked optic will make one or both scopes completely awkward to use. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Welcome from Athens GA. I assume you know where that is, LOL. You can't go wrong with a Colt in my opinion. As for optics, it really depends on what your intended uses are. When I went through basic training in the Army back in the olden days, we had to be able to hit targets at 300 meters with the stock iron sights that came on the M16A1 so, as I said, it really depends on what you are going to use it for. Personally, for CQB, I would look at something like the Eotech holographic sights with no magnification. They give you a really huge field of view and are still capable of hitting targets out to 300 yards and are a lot quicker to get on target than either iron sights or most types of magnified optics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like I have heard of Athens Georgia before!! I was actually down in Wadkinsville not long ago.. As for as use, mostly recreational shooting. Due to its size, I think it will be a great transition for my son to go from a 22 to a larger caliber for deer hunting. I want him to learn about firearms, hunting and shooting without beating him to death with recoil!! The combo sight caught my eye since it has the reflex sight for close range shooting and target acquisition as well as the longer range "scope".. The $1400 price tag makes me wanna be certain it's what I want before purchasing it. My main concern with the double setup, is one will be too high to use and the other will be a little low.. Woodstock, have u ever used one of these type sights?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Actually no, I haven't used that particular setup but I have familly members that used an ACOG in Irag and loved it. I think you are right about the awkwardness of the reflex sight on top but that is just my opinion. You have to mount optics kind of high on an AR to begin with so I thing the ACOG would work just fine but think the reflex sight on top might be a little too high.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Get a 1-4x24 scope like a Leatherwood Hi-Lux CMR. Gives you the best of both worlds, no magnification for close up, to 4x for your distance. Can be had for less than 400 dollars with a good mount.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
The ACOG is a great scope but do you really neeed a $1400 scope on a rifle that is only going to the range a few times a year? I highly suggest a Nikon in the 3-9 range. But, if you have the money and want to spend it on quality American made optics, Leupold makes some real nice AR15 lighted reticle scopes in the 5 to 600 dollar range designed for the AR 15's. They are usually in the 1 to 6 power range. kwg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kwg maybe u are right about the $$$, and agree it's a little steep. Personally I thing holographic sight will suit my needs just fine. I was mainly interested in the dual optics in order to get my son comfortable looking through a scope and not worrying the recoil will crack his head open. Plus it offered me the RMR sight and then if I wanted to do any long range shooting I am equipped. By the time I pay 4-500 for a scope and another 4-500 for a RMR, include different mounts etc, I'm in it for about the same money. Plus i don't have the aggravation of swapping scopes and zeroing them in.. I dont mind spending the money for the optics, but i just wanna make sure they are both located to where they are usable!! But unless I can find some "reasonably" priced ammo, there will be no shooting anytime soon!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
In the midst of our country's direction on gun control, yesterday I proudly purchased my first AR...QUOTE]

Congrats on your purchase UGA_Bulldog!

Bought mine on the 9th...like minds think alike.

I found a really good deal on my 1.75X6 Leupold VX-III, but years ago I had a Leupold 1.5X5 VX-III with an illuminated reticle, and only the very fine cross hairs in the middle light up.

It really didn't have that red washout that you usually find in red dots either, just a really nice scope!

And if I heard correctly, Leupold can now retrofit an IR on most any of their scopes.

FWIW.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Finding ammo will be a challenge. As for shooting with a scope, I suggest your son get proficient with irons first. But, that's just the old GI in me. Both Leupolds and trijicons are known for their dependability but stuff happens. I do see your point about using one scope for both styles of sighting.

I guess with the "fiscal cliff" looming in the distance, I am reluctant to buy much of anything until we see how that is shaking out. Personally, I'm ready to see it go. I'm to the point I don't care anymore. Poor leadership abounds in D.C. or we would not be having any of these discussions. kwg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just checked and the ammo is already sold out.. But I do appreciate you letting me know!! If anyone else notices any online please let me know!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was attempting to post some pics for u guys, but when i click on the thumbnail for pictures it asks me to type in the url.. How can i post from my gallery?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Woodstock!! I ordered from a site that had ammo "coming".. By preordering it, I was able to get it at pre-escalated prices. I ordered 1000 rounds for about $375 I think.. Today I found a few boxes of UMC for $10/box so I'm not totally dry!! Here's some pics!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
^^^^^

That rifle will serve you well, my friend.

The best thing you can do now is sight that thing in. :cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice rifle, We've run into a 223 ammo shortage here too, the stuff went off the shelves faster than the beer at a biker bar. A Pallet of it gone in 45 min or less according to one store, get it where and while you can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys!! Woodstock, I like it ok.. the scope is a little low for me but the reflex sight is perfect! Take into consideration, I didn't drop the $1400 on the Trijicon but found a similar setup substantially cheaper.. I understand I forfeited some quality with the price reduction but for my uses, it will suffice. None the less, I have the gun, hopefully we won't have anti scope legislation in our near future!! Once I get some ample amounts of ammo I will take it to the range and get it sighted in!!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Yeah, I am seeing that now. You might consider some 1/2" rail risers for that setup. You generally want your optic about 1.5" to center above the bore. Of course with the dual setup, you will have to compromise on one or the other.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts