Perfect Union banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey ya'll,
Here is a pic of my AR Left Side Bolt Handle. I came up with this a year or so ago, and it has been very well received. In fact, this modification has been approved for duty use by Denver PD. Quick turnaround and reasonably priced. $150.00 + shipping.

For examples of my gunsmithing and some great products, go to
http://www.thearmsroom.com

There is an article on these bolt handles in "Special Weapons for Law Enforcement - 2003 LE Buyers Guide" on news stands now.

Thanks for looking.
Lee

·
Registered
630 Posts
hadaway. Does the charging handle still work with your application of the side charging handle?

Looks great, but what is the benefit of that?

Benefit 1 would be being able to charge the weapon while still having your hand on the trigger and your eye on the sights. Hadaway can explain the other benefits......

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right Coyote, but its more for clearing a malfunction while keeping your sights on target and your firing hand (right hand folks) on the pistol grip.

It can also be used as a foreward assist while keeping your firing hand on the pistol grip.

You can do a press check (make sure there is a round in the chamber) while keeping your hand on the pistol grip.

If your left arm is occupied (K-9s) or injured, you can hook the bolt handle on your belt and clear a malfunction.

If the bolt locks up. you can use your boot on the bolt handle to open the bolt.

It can be used as a bottle opener.

If I could come up with a way to make it shoot fireworks on July 4th, it would do that too.

I have a friend who shoots a lot of IPSC and 3 gun matches. He said in the last match, he had a stovepipe. He was able to clear the malfunction with the AR still in firing position, and still take 3rd place overall. He felt he would have dropped 3 or 4 places if he had not had the bolt handle and had to use the operating handle.

Yes, the operating handle is still functional, but once you have the side mount bolt handle, you won't ever use it.

Thanks for looking.
Lee

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probably, but so will installing new sights.

As far as the ARs go, if they function out of the box, you are not going to have any problems in the future. Unless you put a buttload of ammo through it and parts start to wear, but that's probably not covered either.

Basically, if the firearm functions, you'll never use the warranty. Most gun warrantys are only good for a year anyway.

Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wouldn't cutting away material weaken the integrity of the lower. The right side already has less supporting metal from the ejection port. Taking some more from the left side isn't it making it any stronger.

Also, what about the weight of the barrel on the lower after all of this metal is cut away. Wouldn't there be too much of a strain on the front of the lower?

It is only aluminum not steel. BTW, I think it is a neat idea though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, the receiver is not weakened enough to talk about.

The slot does not run full length of the receiver, so the front and back of the receiver gives all the strength you need. Plus, think about the square raceway in the top of the receiver for the operating handle. You can't get much more rigid than that.

Most people think that the round bolt rides in the round receiver with a lot of contact between the two. There are actually raised rails inside the receiver that the bolt rides on. The slot for the bolt does not affect these rails in any way.

Trust me. I think all this through before I put someones life on the line. You should see my "Good Idea But Doesn't Work Worth A Damn" pile.

Good question though.

Thanks,
Lee

http://www.thearmsroom.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts