Perfect Union banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Remington 700 SPS Tactical rifle with a 4-16X40 mil-dot scope that I plan to use for varmint and deer size game here in North West Arkansas. I would like some info on the following. 1) What dies to use 2) recommended 150-168gr bullets and 3) best powder. I would also like to know if what I have heard is true. I heard that for the best accuracy take an unload and unprimed case, place a lubed bullet slightly into the case mouth and then chamber the round. This pushes the bullet into the case and up against the riflings. You then eject the round and measure its length. Before starting to reload back off the bullet seating die slightly. Does this sound reasonable?

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;)I've never tried the lubed bullet trick but it might work.Now as far as the bullet touching the lands and you using that measurement-DO NOT back off the seating die!To do so would cause the bullet to seat farther out against the lands and create higher chamber pressures.You need to seat the bullet slightly deeper into the case usually from.003"to .010" until your groupings are as tight as can be on paper.Every gun has a different"sweet spot"for bullet seating depth,and every different type of bullet has a different sweet spot for seating depth.You have to spend range time to figure it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
308 reload info

Thanks and you're right I just said it backwards. I have another question. Would I want to get a 2 die or 3 die set. I know the 3 die sets include a full length resizing die but I seem to remember some where that once fired you want the case to expand to the chamber and therefore you'd only want to resize the case neck. Is that correct?

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
True if you are talking about putting a bullet in the same hole for marksmanship competitions. For hunting dangerous game and in cold weather conditions, it is better I feel to use a full sized die and NOT seat the bullet up against the lands of the barrel. On warm sunny days at the gun range its fine to use neck sized only bullets, but when your life may be on the line, you want each bullet to fit in the chamber with ease.
^^^^^^^^^^
;)100%And if we still had autoloaders-that goes double for them!:eek:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thanks and you're right I just said it backwards. I have another question. Would I want to get a 2 die or 3 die set. I know the 3 die sets include a full length resizing die but I seem to remember some where that once fired you want the case to expand to the chamber and therefore you'd only want to resize the case neck. Is that correct?
Yes that would be correct as long as the ammunition will only be used in the one gun that fired it. The other exception as previously mentioned in two other replies would be dangerous game or auto loaders. In both cases it would be prudent to full length size them.

As for bullets, I have had great success form the following brands in the weights you mentioned in my 308, 30-06 and 300 Win Mags. Swift Sirocco II, Hornady A-Max, Sierra Match King and Nosler Ballistic Tip. I would highly recommend the bullet that shoots the best from your gun that has the highest ballistic coeffcient. The higher BC will do more for you at distance down range than craming anpother 1/10th of a grain of more powder. It will also allow you to extend your life of the brass as well. Besides you will genrally find that the more moderate loads will also give the best accuracy than the full throttle max compressed loads will.

For Powders, I am using BL-C(2) and Varget. I like CFE as well and I understand they have released additional loading data that will be applicable to rounds other than 22 center-fire rounds. From a purely accuracy stand point there are probably other powders that might be better but I reload for several calibers and try to minimize the number of powders I have on hand. But I have been able to work up some really sweet loads in these two powders.

Just some food for thought....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Thanks again. Yes the brass/bullets would only be fired in the in just the one gun. I have a non-reloading question. I have 2 boxes of Tulammo 150gr FMJ. Even though they say they're non-corrosive I'm a little leary of shooting them in my new Remington because they have steel cases. Do you see any problems shooting them?

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
I purchased a LE Wilson case gauge for my .308 reloading needs. It was about 24 bucks or so. I find it helpful to see that each round was within spec. Every once in a while you get a couple that the shoulder just isn't back far enough. Weird, but true even if your the most careful person in the world.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts