Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys have GOT to try this. I have always been sceptical about the gas port orifices that Cajungeo keeps pushing. I didn't believe they could have much of an effect on recoil. Boy was I wrong!

I called upon Mike Knifong a week ago to have a trigger job done and the orifice kit. I sent him my trigger group and a check for $50. By the next week Tuesday it arrived back. He had very generously sent me a little extra: An adjustable trigger - tweaked down to 2.5#, and very smooth, in exchange for my original trigger. Also a couple of recoil buffers, the glass bedding video, and the expected orifice kit.

I put the medium orifice bushing in, and bolted my gas block together. In about 3 minutes, I had the gun assembled with the recoil buffer in place, loaded a range bag with ammo and hearing protection, got in my car and headed for the range (I get a little excited when it's range time).

:D First, I started with the medium-sized orifice. The shell ejection is now a much more reasonable 10 feet, as opposed to the original 60 feet.

Recoil? What recoil? Where'd it go? Realistically, recoil was reduced to a little harder than that of a .22 Winchester Magnum. Staying on-target for consecutive shots is a piece of cake now.

With combination of the easy trigger pull, the buffer and the smaller gas orifice, I was also able to cut my groups down from 2.5" to about 1.5"-1.75" at 100 yards :D I wasn't actually measuring because it was VERY hot and humid outside, I just wanted to get to work.

After about 60 rounds, I took the [hot] gas block apart, and switched the medium orifice with the small one. The first shot ejected the brass OK (just kind of plopped it out onto the bench), but didn't throw the bolt back far enough to catch and load the second round. I felt like I was using my daddy's old bolt-action 30-06. Each round had to be manually loaded.

I took the [really hot] gas block apart again and put the medium orifice back in. The large orifice, I didn't feel the need to try. This one is really for the newer guns with stiffer springs and those with Wolf hi-powered springs. I was going to use the large one in my Mini-Thirty, but Mike tells me they are not interchangeable with the Mini-thirty due to a length difference.

The last extra that Mike included in the shipment was his glass bedding video tape. Its about an hour and a half long - I STRONGLY suggest buying this if you have any intention of glass bedding your rifle. In a few minutes, I'm driving to the sporting goods store and buying a glass gel kit. If I can cut another 0.5 MOA off of my group size, I will be ecstatic.

A big thanks goes to Mike Knifong for breathing new life into this rifle and new hope into this shooter. I'll let you know the benefit I see with a good glass bedding job. :beer:

If anyone would like to order some of these things from Mike, here is his contact information:

"Mike in Oregon"
NW Shooters Support
Phone: 503-643-6136
email: [email protected]

The prices in the sheets he sent me (July 2002) are:
4lb Trigger Job: $40
Adjustable Target Trigger: $80 <---- Highly recommended~
Gas Port Kit: $25
Buffer kit: $??

I believe Mike is still selling the Gas Port Kit and Trigger Job as a combo package at $50. If these prices have changed, Mike, please let us know. We don't expect you to keep your prices fixed forever.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Satan,

That is awesome.

Big props go to Mike K for hooking you up like that.

And I assure you that you WILL see noticable group size improvements when the bedding settles.

Oh yeah...always measure. After all...size is everything. LOL

:beer:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Now you guys can see why I've been pushing those little gas bushings, not a little diff, but a BIG DIFF!
Beding the stock tightened my groups 3/4 " overall, and got rid of those flyers! I'm busten at the seems fer ya satan! Good Job!:D :beer:

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know its been a while. I've bedded my Mini, range tested it, and added a little more bedding since then. I have achieved about a .30" reduction in group size. So I'm sitting at approx 1.3-1.5" groups. Its amazing what a difference a smooth, light trigger can make. The bedding eliminated the flyers too.

Very important to breath right, cheek weld, etc. This gun is more accurate than I need, because realistically, if it comes down to whether I shoot the prarie dog in the head or the butt, he's dead either way. I can't hold the gun steady enough in the field to pick which eye it goes in. I was consistently shooting the clothes pins that hold my target at 100 yards. I think I've reached the limit of this weapon. :p

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I'm serious, American Eagle - Factory JHPs.

Occasionally, I will use Hornady Varmint Express - 40 measly grain Moly-coated bullets with ballistic plastic tip- these are FAST rounds - says 3800fps on the box, but realistically probably 3200-3300. I have to adjust elevation when using these as they land higher than my POA at 100 yds.

When I'm just goofing off and venting my frustrations from work, I use Wolf - it's cheap and it goes bang. Groups go to 2.5" when I shoot this junk.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Satan2655,
Glad to hear it!!

Like I've said in the past: scope it, bed it, lap it, install gas ports & shok-buff, and have the trigger worked over. Doesn't it do wonders!!? It would be nice to have a heavy barrel Mini, but I just don't see why one needs to spend that kind of money. The Mini isn't "THAT" bad a rifle when it's tweaked properly. I hope my video helped.

Watch out varmints.....here he comes!
Take care,
Mike in Oregon

·
Registered
260 Posts
i'm sold!!! my mini does pretty good with hand loads , but the darned flyer! the way my mini-14 shoots, i should get some sub moa groups with the bedding and muzzle brake. it's stock out of the box accept the leupold vx-2 scope. with the right handload i can get 3 to for shots + or - an inch then the flyer(s) open it to 2-2 1/2+ (cold barrel and a bench rest). can't really complain, but i know now for under a hundred bucks i'll have a real head turner. thanks guys, and mike i'll be in touch soon!:sniper: :beer: :beer:

·
Registered
26 Posts
There is so much talk of this gas orifice doing good. I would like to see a variable orifice made to install in the gas block to customize for you mini. I got this idea when reading about an improvement the military made on an M14. They installed this variable orifice to dampen the harmonics of the barrel. I am sure everyone needs that on our mini. I am not a gunsmith so I not sure if this could be applied to our minis.

later
david

1 - 9 of 9 Posts