Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know alot of folks look down there nose at NEF/H&R, but I'm starting to really like mine. The very 1st deer rifle I carried at the age of 10 was a H&R topper, 30-30. So when my son got old enough to shoot a light shotgun, I looked around for a nice little 20ga. I picked up an NEF youth 20ga. It was light with a 22in, mod. bbl. At 1st it pushed him around a little but as he grew he became good with it. He took several dove and quail with it. He has now moved on to a pump gun. But playing with the little 20 made me look at NEF again. I was looking at getting back into a single shot deer rifle. I have had Ruger #1's in the past. That was BC, before childern. Money is a little tighter now days. Anyway. I found a nice little NEF Handie rifle in 30-06 for about $150.00. I put a good 3x9x40 on top and I am very happy with the groups I get with it out at 100 yards. Have not had a deer come out on me yet when I have carried it. Maybe this year. Anyway. I called NEF and asked for a new catalog. I knew I could put different bbls on it, but did not know how much $ it would run. To make a long story short. My 30-06 frame now sports a 24in, 12ga choke tube bbl, it cost $55.00. A 22in H-bar 223 bbl, $85.00 and I think I may buy there new 50 cal. muzz bbl for it. $75.00. If you buy one of there new framed rifles you can have them put any bbl they make on it. From a light 20in 223 bbl. to there 450 Marlin and everything in between. Plus you can buy several different stocks for them. Its fun to play with and does a good job for the money. I think there worth looking into. Anybody else out there playing with them?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I never heard of a NEF! I like the idea of changing barrels, and for so cheep. Are they bolt actions? Single shots? The savage can change barrels, and bolts, within long action ammo, or short action ammo, but not for that cheep.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cajungeo, The NEF/H&R is a single shot. I have a old 20ga and just got the 12ga slug gun,they use a 10ga barrel and chamber it for 12ga its like a heavy barrel and it will put three slugs into a nice little clover leaf at 100 yards,and it goes BOOM when it goes off. for the money they are hard to beat.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Camara Man, www.marlinfirearms.com has a forum like this one but for H&R/NEF.Lots of stuff in there.I have one in 45-70.I love it!I shot a crow with it the other day.MAN!You should've seen it.Anyway,they are great guns at great prices.Good quality.I think more people will be looking their direction soon.:sniper:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I try not to look down on a gun because of its price. I much prefer to judge it on how well it is made and performs. The NEF/H&R/Marlin has a lot of bang for the buck and really decent accuracy IMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts