Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start off by saying that I am a useless FNG, as far as the Mini 14 goes.. But I have been prowling around on your post, and I have seen some encouraging news regarding this rifle's potential accuracy, reliability and AR-alternativeness (yes, that is a word). :rolleyes:

So, here's the plan:

1) Buy Mini-14 (duh), blued. Ranch model, for ring mounts.

2) Buy cool overmolded Hogue stock (going for 'all black' here).

3) Purchase muzzle brake (thinking about AK-74 clone
Bushmaster sells)

4) Optics - ATN 5x33 (cheap, but good is the focus :))

5) Trigger Job (I know just the right guy)

This is the part where your expertise comes in. How would you modify this weapon prospectus? Is the brake adequate to the job? Heavy barrel, maybe (keep it FAIRLY cheap)??
Modify the gas block?? Help!!

Thanks a lot for your help,

P.S. Not looking for a tack driver here, just a weapon that can reliably hit a target the size of a fist at 200 Meters

:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Opinions are more than welcome, gentleman...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the mods you intend to make will turn the Mini into a sub 3in shooter at 100yds. Gap the gas block cover and you will be good to go!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Reflex after you buy the MINI, stock and scope you might want to try reloading to find an accurate handload for your mini. If you don't reload you might want to try a variety of factory loads in different bullet weights. Seems alot of guys have had good luck with some of the brakes out there helping accuracy. Some cut their barrels back to 16-16.5". A little trigger work will make a differance also. Sounds like your looking for a 4-5" group at 200yds. so thats 2-2.5moa. thats possible with some mini's from what I hear. Myself I don't think you can get this kind of accuracy consistantly with surplus or cheap ammo. That leaves the installation of a new barrel wich would just about guarantee what your looking for. At least you can work your way up to a rebarrel job by trying all the cheaper fixes first. None of my Mini's will hold 2-2.5 at 100yds with a variety of ammo consistently. But then again my eyes maybe a lot older than yours. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
685 Posts
the muzzle blast is very loud to people standing next to you!!! it sends a shock wave through out the sinus....but it is one of the most effictive brakes out there. jp ent. has one for mini 14 that even better than the 74 but it is LOUD!!! it's 89 dollars and works extremely well on race gun ar-15s because follow ups fast. oh and you can find it at brownells.............later

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, folks:)

I checked out that JP muzzle brake... MAN that thing is UGLY, but it probably works great (reminds me of the brakes you see on 155mm guns!!).

Gap the gas block cover? Huhh??:eek:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your input, folks. I will go ahead with this project and let you know how it turns out!! BTW, decided to get the Bushmaster replacement barrel shroud, as it claims to help minimize barrel whip (plus it looks better, and stronger than the factory shroud) I'll look further into modifying the gas block, and maybe pick up a good cheekrest. Now to endure the dang waiting period...

:usa: :sniper: :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts