Perfect Union banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to stock up on some powder.
Is there any universal powder that will gives a good load for all
I haven't reloaded in awhile and am looking for a good load for the following;

rifle=
30/30
30-06

handgun=
9mm
.38 or .357
.45acp

I know there are lots of books out there, I have a couple, but someone with experiance could save me time and let me know what powder to buy - won't be reloading for awhile, just want stock for when the SHTF.

Thanks!!

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;)for 223-3006 1st choice-H or IMR4895,or imr 4064,or imr3031.For handguns 9mm-45acp-Unique or hodgdens clays Universal.These powders will work with the cartridges you mentioned-some excellent-some just average velocities.Be sure to buy all standard primers-magnums not necessary.<_<

ps -good loading manuals are a neccessity!

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I agree with the above bitter clinger. I wanted to add that with the current powder shortage you may want to consider some AA powders. AA2520 and No5 come to mind. And yes manuals are a good thing to have.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
I agree with the above bitter clinger. I wanted to add that with the current powder shortage you may want to consider some AA powders. AA2520 and No5 come to mind. And yes manuals are a good thing to have.
:lol:I'm clinging for you guys in NY too!:lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I only reload for a couple of the calibers that you do, But here's my powder choices.
for .223, I use hogdon 322 or varget
.308 winchester, varget
9mm, hogdon hs 6
.45 acp cant remember might be winchester 241 but could be mistaken.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
sharky8js there are many great powders out there. Right now many are in short supply the same as everything else. So sometimes you have to load with what you can get.

I have good luck with Varget in my AR15 (which I sold) but not in my AR10 (which I sold). My AR10 (which I sold) likes AA2520 and IMR4895.

For pistol loads I keep AA No 5, Bullseye, AA5744 and H110. But I only load 45 Colt for my Rifle.

A good manual is the way to go. I also pay for "loaddata.com". They have many of the manuals there. I keep a paper log of every load I make. I google seach for information to see what others are using and compare that to good common sense and the reloading manual.

·
Registered
74 Posts
+1 on varget i load .223, .308, 30-06, and 7.62x54r. another great thing about varget is there is tons of reloading data on it, it is accurate and it is hard to screw up reloading it since most of the max loads are compressed. one bad thing is it doen't meter well in all powder measures.

for hand guns i use unique, again i use it in .380, 9mm, 40, and 45 and .38, and there is tones of reloading data, and it does not have a big muzzle flash.

with those two powders you can load about 75% of the cartages in the world

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I couldn't find any IMR 4895, I'll have to look for the Varget and AA2520 too!

I did pick up 1lb clays universal -$27 - all they had!
and 1 lb of Unique $19 - last of what that place had!
I've got acouple more places to check

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use Varget for .223, 30-30 and 30-06 and get great results out of all of them. In my 30-06 Match loads IMR-4064 shoots just a hair tighter out of my 1917 Enfield but also burns a bit dirtier.

My vote for the rifle calibers is Varget (lots of data as well) but I can't comment on the pistol calibers because I only load .357 mag (win 231.)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
If your reloading the 30.06 for the M1 Garand stay with IMR4895. It's great for the AR15 also. It's been one of my favorites for 30 years.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I found a source for Varget, picked up 2lbs, no luck on IMR 4895 - still have 1 place to check, don't know when I'll get by there?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
It may vary some depending on the weight of your bullets.

I did my own load experiments with 4895 versus 4350 versus some BLC-2 that I had for my 30.06 with 165 grain spitzers and the 4350 was the best for the 30.06. It is not as good a powder for a 30/30 though. I used to load 30/30 and 4895 worked best for it. I don't load .223 so I don't know what is best for that.

From what I have seen Varget is just about the closest thing to a universal rifle powder that there is. It apparently works well for a lot of different loads too.

The last time I went powder shopping all I could find for pistol was Tite Group. It should work fine for my 9 mil which is all I plan to reload for.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Varget and 4895 do great in bolt guns but my semi auto rifles like H335 or faster powders like 2015,RL7,R10,4198.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.