Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am involved in L.E. we carry Mini14s as our non swat carbine. I have always been a big fan of the gun. I was able to acquire a brand new one that was heading to the Guard tower at a local corrections facility. As It goes I own a few of these rifles. But this one throws spent caseings in front of the gun. Like it was made for trench fighting or something, so you dont hit the guy to yor right with a hot caseing. Is anyone familiar with a mini-14 desighned this way. Or can they all be modified to do this. Any help will be greately appreciated. Thanks in advance?!!

·
Registered
716 Posts
In my experience, the standard Mini throws forward and right in an upward arc. But RANCH Mini's are designed to throw back at about 4 o'clock, some I've seen throw at 3 o'clock. I think this is largely due to the Ranch design so that the spent casing doesn't hit the scope.

·
Registered
27 Posts
yup, the standards are notorious for sending brass so far out into the indoor ranges that its impossible to recover it. i have lost a good bit of brass that way. :(

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
My ranch mini ejects its brass from 2:00 to 3:30, depending, on how hot the load, or the size of the gas bushing I have in there. The lighter loads being 2:00 , and the hotter loads 3 to 3:30.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good topic,
The other day, the old man at my outdoor range gruffed make sure you pick up all of your brass when I left. After shooting 120 plus rounds, I was hard pressed to find 2 or 3 cases to pick up. My stainless ranch throws them to the moon....

Larry:p

·
Registered
53 Posts
let's just say you wouldn't want to be at 3 o'clock to the right 15-20 feet while I'm shooting my ranch rifle.The ranch rifles seem to get rid of the spent casings with AUTHORITY ! :usa:

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
My ranch mini used to throw brass 60 ft. I've had cases stick into the wood partion like darts, and had to pull them out! My scope would get bucked off after 10 shots. I installed the gas bushing kit, I got from NW Shooter Support. Now they plop a nice 10 ft. pretty much in one spot, and my scope stays on too! I highly recommend the gas bushing kit. I'm still going to get a brass catcher for shooting at the range, so I won't loose any of the valuable cases for reloading.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:rolleyes:

HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A WAY TO DECREASE THE EJECTION KICK BACK FROM THE MINI.
INSTALLED THE PAD, WORKS OK BUT I NEED A WAY TO DECREASE THE RECOIL/AMOUNT OF GAS THAT REACHES THE PISTON?
DOES THIS KIT DO THAT?
ALSO I AM THINKING OF CHANGING THE BARREL, ACTUALY HAVING ACCURACY DO THE JOB, ANY IDEAS ON THIS?
HAS ANYONE HADE ACCURACY DO A BARREL JOB?
IT SEEMS THAT 450.00 for an upgrade ( barrel and trigger job) IS A LITTLE PRICEY, MAYBE NOT.

BARSTOWBILL

·
Registered
716 Posts
Yep - throwing brass about 60 feet here too. Brass catcher works wonders. Keeps the brass at hand and keeps your friends at the range. I think I'd have a problem reloading. Seems the charging handle pops back, bashing the neck of each and every case with a nice dent. About 20% closure on each case. Are these any good any more?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sorry SATAN!

Did I sound like the church lady just then? :D

I don't have an answer about the dented brass, I have a question. Why doesn't anyone anneal brass casings to keep them from getting brittle? I hear from reloaders that a brass case is good for about 3 reloads, then they tend to split.

Has anybody tried annealing the neck on .223's before reloading? Is this a trick that can stretch the usefulness of spent casings?

Inquiring minds want to know.

KC:)

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Welcome to our forum Barstowbill, to answer part of your questions, I installed the gas bushing kit in my mini, and it cuts the recoil way down. The std ruger gas bushing orfice is his big ( o ), the largest one in the Gas Bushing kit is this big ( . ). As far as accuracy goes the mini isn't noted for it. 4" to 5" at 100 yds, using a sand bag is common, some are better. Mine shot 4 1/2" groups. Now mine shoots less than 1 1/2" groups average. Best group of 5 rnds. is .9" so far. All I did was install a muzzle brake, a smaller gas bushing, trigger job, bed the stock, installed a good scope, and fire laped the barrel. I'm currently working on reloads to tighten it up some more. The gas bushing dosen't improve accuracy perse, but by reducing recoil, you can stay on target during rapid fire. I shot 15 rds, at 100 yds in 7 sec. 13 rds hit in a 8 1/2" group, with 7 of them in the 6" bullseye. Less recoil is easier on your scope also. If I can shoot my mini with 1" to 1 1/2" using the std flimsy barrel, I'm happy with that, as I didn't spend much. When I wear out my barrel, I may look into a bull barrel job. Hope this helps out.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Kalif, satan, I've reloaded a lot of dented brass, most I had saved before I installed the gas bush. kit. Since then I don't get many dents. If the neck is dented I use an awl to prestraighten before resizing. Any dents the resize die dosen't take out of the case is straightend after its fired. On semi autos, pumps, or lever action guns you have to "full" size the case as the bolt/extractor is weaker than a bolt gun. If you don't, the rds wil not chamber, all the way or will stick, and not extract, this has happend to me. A bolt gun has a stronger bolt/etractor, so a reloader can get by with "neck" sizing only. The full sizing a case causes it to stretch, so you have to trim the case, and it becomes thinner. I can get about 4 trimmings before scrapping brass. With neck sizing for a bolt gun, the brass will work harden after about 6 resizings, so anealing will soften the brass so you can get 10-20 or more reloads, depending on type of brass, and how hot the loads are i.e chamber pressure. In "my opinion" it is a waste of time to anneal brass for an autoloader, as the brass dosen't last long enough to work harden. The necks crack because the brass is too thin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:rolleyes:

THANKS FOR THE INFO,
SOUNDS LIKE THIS MAY HELP A GREAT DEAL WITHOUT DOING THE BARREL JOB. IF ITS NOT TO MUCH TROUBLE, WHERE DID YOU GET THE GAS BUSHING KIT?

DID YOU TRY BEDDING THE BARREL?

THANKS

BARSTOWBILL

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
The Mini is a copy of the Garand action.

A properly timed Garand will shoot the brass to about 2pm, give or take.

The extractor is NOT an ejector. It extracts the brass and pops it up, gently. The oprod HUMP hammers it on the way forward, ejecting it away from the rifle. Yes, it hits it in flight, by design.

Garand design, that is, circa 1936.

------------------
reprint
--------------------
Subject: RE: [M1-m14] M1 denting case mouths

> Yep.
>
> The true ejector is the op rod hump. The "extractor" plunger in the
> bolt face pops the case up in front of the op rod hump, which bats it
> forward and to the right. In the process, the case mouth can get
> dinged.
>

G

·
My ranch mini spits brass back close to 4 o'clock, and all this talk about gas bushings and trigger jobs, my mini is bone stock..I guess I really need to catch up huh?!!mp

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey mp., I know what ya mean, there is a lot of info in this forum. Before I joined, I went back to day one and read every post. IT took me 2 weeks but, I was up to speed day one. I guess I'm the gung-ho type, when I get into something I jump in with both feet running. There is a lot of info on the mini, as it is so versatile, you can mod it in any direction you care to go, and you don't have to spend a lot of money, unless ya wanna. You can also leave it as is if your happy with it, but its kind a fun to have a project to work on. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Military brass is annealed if you can find some once fired brass. I've gotten 10 or more reloads from this brass before having split necks.

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Hey Ron, How much case stretch did your cases have after resizing? Mine stretched so I had to trim each time as the cases were out of tolerance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've always trimmed once fired military brass to the minimum length prior to the first reloading. So far I've not had to trim again and I've used the reloads in a Mini 14 and a AR 15. My plinking/target loads use 25 grns IMR4895 with a 55 grn bullet.
Ron

1 - 20 of 23 Posts