Perfect Union banner
3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  mukinfutch 
#1 ·
Found another Mini at a pawn shop. Its a 183 series, stainless/wood, pinned flash supressor (not sure the make). Wood is pretty good. Bore looks good. Comes with a scope mount that attaches on the side. You guys will know what it is. I'm not sure. It has one major issue. There is a large crack on the top of the gas block...the top clamp part. The shop said they'd sell for $250. Is the top part of the block easily replaceable? And how much do you think it would take to get this thing to fixed and accurized? I'm thinking fix the block and install a strut. Thanks everyone. I can call tommorrow and give the seller a card number and have him hold it if you think it's fixable.

#9 · (Edited)
I picked up the 183 series Mini today. It came with a 5 round mag, and a B Square (?) scope mount. You can see the crack in the top strap of the gas block. I already have a Mini tactical, but I really like the look and feel of this rifle with the 5 round mag. Now for some questions:

1) Who makes the pin-on flash suppressor?
2) What is the difference between the 180 series versus the earlier 170 series and later 190 series?
3) Can I go to the Ruger site and get and approximate build date.
3) The rear sight seems to be a better design than my tactical. Am I right or wrong?

Thanks for your input

Edit: Found the build year at ruger.com (1982).

Attachments

#10 ·
What a great deal! I may have one top halves also if you have not acquire one yet. I replaced mine with an Amega Ranges rail, stronger and gives inhanced accuracy.

#15 ·
faa and geiger,
Yeah, the suppressor caught my eye too. It's the nicest looking pin-on I've seen. That's not saying much as I'm relatively new to the Mini world. If anyone knows the manufacturer, I'd like to know. Anyway, thanks for the compliments.

I almost bought a Stainless tactical before Christmas that would have set me back nearly $700. I decided instead to use that money to help some people around me that needed a hand. Then after Christmas, this Mini shows up for about 1/3 the price. Funny how things work out that way. We are not alone in this world.

#14 ·
Someone call the cops....this guy just stole a Mini!!!! I like that suppressor, especially since it is in stainless which are a little harder to find.

Looks like a good foundation for any kind of build you want to do.

#17 ·
litefoot,

Looks like you scored one heckuva deal. ;)

Keep us posted on the developments of this project rifle. I think it would be great if you can take an old busted rifle and turn it into a real shooter.

Man, I need to start going to pawn shops more often. :p

Congrats!

#18 ·
+1 to the above. A heckuva deal! I'm respectfully (trying not to be covetously;)) envious. Keep us posted.

P.S.:

Found another Mini at a pawn shop.
(emphasis added).

You need not answer this, of course, but where is this pawn shop?! Screw those History Channel guys . . . I want to go where you went . . . more fun and more economical than Vegas by any means.

#20 ·
Update, John (gundoc) sent me a nice top strap for the Mini. I had to grind the base down a bit for a tight fit. I took it to the range today and shot some 55 gr reloads. I forgot my glasses, but with no adjustments and using the irons, I was on paper and got some canteloupe size groups at 50 yds! Brass ejected only about 7' out and rapid fire testing with hot and less hot loads were flawless.

I'm pretty giddy, and I can't say enough about gundoc. A great guy who wouldn't take a penny from me when I tried to pay him for the strap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.