Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new M1A in the "loaded" configuration and I want to set up a nice scope on it.

A buddy and his dad both have the Springfield scopes and mounts and I'm wondering if that's the way I should go also. They are recommending the 3rd gen. stuff, but I've heard other folks recommend against the 3rd generation mount. There's also a great review of the McCann scope mount on the Fulton Armory sight, but I'd like a second opinion.

So to (finally) get to the point here, I'd like you to pick your dream scope setup for targets from 200 to 1000 yards (OK, 1000 yards may be a ways off in the future, but a fella can dream right?). Brand of scope, magnification, mount, etc. Let's keep the price under $1000 if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have seen folks recommend away from the SA gen3 scope mount... I bought the mount and it's made of steel..I've heard others say it's aluminum...maybe things have changed since I bought mine two years ago...anyway...if it's the steel variant, I recommend it highly...the only problem I've encountered is the need to put locktite on the thunbscrews to keep em tight while shooting...

as for scopes...

The military, as far as I've read, tends to stick with 10x or less, anything more powerful is very hard to acquire and maintain contact with a moving target...the mil scopes are often single power (I think to simplify range estimation and to ensure durability)...I personally bought the Leupold Var-X Long Range M3...it's got a 3.5 x 10 magnification with Mil-dots set to the 10x power...it comes with bullet drop cams for .223,.308 and 300 WM...great scope for $650...I used Leuupold mark IV rings with it, driving the total scope, rings plus mount cost up to around $900 total. I think you could get off cheaper with a tasco tactical...I really don't know much about the SA scopes...I'm kinda afraid of em...

Important point..if your primary plan is to shoot at things less distant than 300 yards, you may want to think more of a tac-scope than a sniper scope...like the Trij ACOG...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a brand new 1 month old 3rd Generation SA mount sitting in my lap now. It's made of some alloy - not steel (but then so is the receiver of an AR-15).

It's quite thick at 1/4" which is thicker than most parts on a Buick. I only use the thumbscrews to attach the scope mount to the side of my receiver, then I use a very large screw driver to completely tighten the steel screws into their holes. There is no movement at all when tight. The mount has a limited lifetime warranty.

I've used an Armalite 30mm "new and improved" scope mount to attach my scope to the mount. The Armalite is a one piece double ring mount with the standard 8 hex screws to tighten the scope into the rings.

I have a 4 X 14 X 56mm Springfield 1st Generation scope - it doesn't have the parrallax correction of the 2nd Gen. nor the lighting of the 3rd Gen.. Its range finder is the finger free type - you're hands never leave the rifle. It's parrallax free and zeroed at 200 yards - pretty much point blank range for a .308 rifle any way!

The windage and elevation knobs are adjustable without using tools (or a coil) and are numbered to allow calibation. It came with Butler Creek pop-up scope covers and a normal bikini cover too. It has an internal bubble level.

The image is bright and clear with no noticable distortion on the edges. The eye relieve is quite generous. The scope has a limited lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions/info fellas.

Update: after reading Duff's M-14 Owner's Guide I bought the Brookfield mount. I'm still trying to decide on a scope--the Springfields have some features I really like (internal level, illuminated reticle) but the Leopulds seem to be the best as far as light-gathering and hardiness. I'm also unsure of which rings to get and where in the metro Detroit area to get this scope mounted. Any opinions regarding this are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can install the scope & BPT mount yourself. Just follow the directions it came with.

I bought the 6X springfield scope that is available in the loaded propaganda (I didn't buy a loaded rifle, I bought the scope NIB from someone who did). I thought I would try it for a while to see how it holds up before I lay down the big bucks on the Big Springfield scope or a Leupold. I really like the features on the Springfield. If it will just hold up well. I understand the Springfield scopes are made by Nikon.
Thx-Ace

·
Registered
12 Posts
ace
sorry its so late on this reply but i havent been a member long, i have a SA 3rd gen scope and scope mount. If u havent all ready bought ur setup, Me personally id go with the smith mount or arms mount, if im not mistaken the smith mount allows u to use the ironsights(if im wrong on that someone please let me know) i have had problems of my M1A walking rounds to the left ive had 3 diffrent scopes on it and they all do the same thing. The first 20 or so rounds will be dead on then my group will start moving left. From all the things ive read in here its most probably the mount. So i took the thing off and now im waiting for christmas and a new mount (mostlikley the smith). I had put my 3rd gen scope on my savage tactical in 3006 which i found worked pretty good as far as bullet drop compenstation in 3006 using a 180gr projectile. I had a problem with it though the eye peice came loose and i sent it back to SA and they fixed it and sent it back took bout 4 weeks but its remounted and shoots flawlessly but if u havent already bought a scope and u want the range finding reticle of the SA they have a new line of scopes with just a 50mm obj end and side focus. Which will probably be my next scope purchase. Ive found that all that stuff is good ie (side focus, illuminated reticle) but in my opinion (and its just that) its all un nessacary, my next purchase will be the 1st gen 4-14 with range finding reticle with 50mm obj end mounted on a smith mount.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wakebrdr. I too have heard a lot of negative comments on the S.a. 3rd. gen. But I did pick one up on e-bay for 50.00 with burris z-rings and a ground down Mac scraper for tightening the screws. It,unfortunately,worked a little too good,and I snapped the front screw. A call to S.a. has one coming,at no charge, so I WILL give the mount a try. As for scopes,I have had no problems what so ever with the Leopold brand. Where the hell did you find a Brookfield mnt. ? I 've heard nothing but good about those,but thought they where out of business. The smith mount is a knock off of the brookfield, as well as the tactical 2 mount from enterprise arms. The are both made from steel, and allow use of the iron sights through a channel. Check out the rings,and ring caps at enterprise. Also buy the tools and a manual, and mount it yourself,it not hard to do right,plus it will build your knowledge, and confidence of you weapon.Good luck

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Third Gen. Springfield scope mount is made of aluminum, and made to deform to conform to the shape of the mounting lugs, but tends to loosen over time and with removal and reinstallation. Never buy one that has been mounted to another rifle, as it will already be conformed to the original rifle. It is not a good design, compared to the excellent ARMS #18 or the Brookfields (depending if you want a low or high mount, respectively).

While I would not recommend this mount, if you already have the SA, you should look at the fix described at: http://www.temp-m14forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1588 -- this site is being redone, so this link may not be good forever.

Some really good information is also in the archives of www.battlerifles.com in the M1A section, and under scopes. Consensus is that the ARMS #18 is tops.

-- cw

1 - 8 of 8 Posts