Perfect Union banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Everyone --

First of all, this is my first post here! Please forgive me for my ignorance of anything I say!

I recently sold my Remington 597 (piece of junk) and am now going to by a 10/22. I am looking at scope choices and want an opinion from some one who uses their rifle like I do!

I mainly just use it for plinking and some target shooting at the range, probably no more than 35 yards indoor, and no more than 60 or so outdoors. But, I still want a scope that looks good! Nothing too small, nothing to gaudy! I used to use a cheap little Daisy 4x15, so anything is a step up! Not to mention, I couldn't miss what that scope, so...

Anyway, I was at the gun shop last night and looked through a Simmons 3-9x32 scope, which I really liked...very clear and crisp, and it looks nice on the gun. My second choice is the Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 scope -- now, you are probably say, "why is he comparing a $130 scope to a $40 scope?"!! I work at a store that sells Vortex binocs, so I get a good discount through Vortex directly. So, I KNOW that the Vortex scope will be even nicer, more fogproof and waterproof, and will last longer, especially with an unconditional (pretty much) lifetime warranty! But, is a 2-7x32 going to be too small? The Vortex has a better field-of-view, of course, the Simmons has a better eye relief -- both are rimfire scopes, so the parallax is set to 50 yards.

What do you think? Has anyone here used a Vortex Crossfire scope? I have heard good things, but have never really read a review.

Thanks!
Garret

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the recomendation, but Nikon's are a little out of my price range!

I really want to know if a 2-7x32 is large enough for my use and if anyone has used a Vortex Crossfire scope...

Thanks,
Garret

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks for the recomendation, but Nikon's are a little out of my price range!

I really want to know if a 2-7x32 is large enough for my use and if anyone has used a Vortex Crossfire scope...

Thanks,
Garret
For 60 yards a 2-7 would work fine for hunting and general plinking. If you're shooting for the smallest possible groups you may want to consider higher power. I have no experience with Vortex but I DO know that you really get what you pay for when it comes to scopes.

I'd go for something like this : http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=579365

I've never bought a scope that cost less then a 150 bucks but I know some guys that swear by their forty dollar no-name....... it's up to you.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I ended up with the Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32 Rimfire scope -- all I can say is "wow"...I am not real experienced when it comes to scopes, but I do know good optics when I look through them! It is amazingly crisp and clear; the reticle is very sharp and bright. It has a very nice, solid feel to it when holding it in your hands; comes with a nice cleaning cloth, some kind of embroidered storage cloth, nice elastic cap covers, good manual, etc., etc. Very smooth and easy-to-adjust magnification and focus rings -- overall, I am very impressed considering this is Vortex's lowest-end model!

First magazine ran through my 10/22 after initial range sight-in (rough sight-in), I plastered a golf ball at 55 yards...I love it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I can tell you right now -- I shopped around for quite a while and tried quite a few Bushnells in a comparable price range to the Crossfire. I really did not like any of the Bushnells that I looked through.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I work for a small store that sells Vortex binocs and spotting scopes. We really like their line and their products pretty much sell themselves. All of their products come with an unconditional lifetime warranty, and Vortex really does stand behind this (even if the owner drops the optics). Back in 2007, the Vortex Viper 10x42 binocular (their 2nd to the top) won the "Best of the Best" award by Field & Stream Magazine when compared to Leitz, Zeiss, even Swarvozski -- no one could compare something that good to Vortex in a $500 binoc. This year, their $230 pair, the Diamondback, won that same award...they are great for birding (low light conditions).

Their top-of-the-line binoc, the Razor, is around the $900, not $2000+ like the Swarvozski and the Razor is very similarly-designed in physical feel. And, IMO from someone who has had experience with binocs and has gone through training courses for them, I doubt an average user could tell a difference.

Garret

·
Registered
681 Posts
won the "Best of the Best" award by Field & Stream Magazine
Hmmmm, wonder if Vortex happens to be a paying advertiser for the magazine. Kinda like you never see a bad review of anything from an advertiser in a (gun) magazine. <_<
Selling themselves could also be because of their price-point, especially compared to other inventoried makes.
Not saying these are bad scopes, just saying there's considering factors to why things sell - top quality isn't also one of them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bet Swarzoski, Zeiss, Leitz, and others advertise with them too -- why would they choose Vortex? Something tells me Swarzoski would be a bigger advertiser that they would not want to "tick off"....big $ there. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh well...everyone has their opinion. As for me, I am very happy with my choice. I tried a lot of different scopes (Simmon's, Bushnell, TSA, etc., etc.) before I decided to go with the Vortex, and I can honestly say that I see a big difference between the Crossfire and these other scopes. And, my scope has a lifetime warranty. :D

Garret

·
Registered
681 Posts
Oh well...everyone has their opinion. As for me, I am very happy with my choice. I tried a lot of different scopes (Simmon's, Bushnell, TSA, etc., etc.) before I decided to go with the Vortex, and I can honestly say that I see a big difference between the Crossfire and these other scopes. And, my scope has a lifetime warranty. :D

Garret
All that maters is it works for YOU. :) Everyone sees through the glass differently so what does work for one might not for another.
The lifetime warr thing...hopes it better than BSA's. Was gifted one of their POS and when the finish turned to pasty rubber, they didn't want to have anything to do with it. Enjoy your shooting! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts