Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Quick Intro I'm Ed. Live in Arkansas and I am 29. Ok now on to the questions....I have a 181 series Mini. Yesterday ar the range the little gas plug? The thing that vents gas from the barrel to the recoil assembly turned. Therefore It was not cycleing, I took it appart and the plug is real loose and turns, looks like there was a rubber bushing there maybe to hold it straight but it is missing now. So question #1 How do I fix it.

Second question: The stock is old and I wanna replace it I like wood but am not totaly agains rubber. Ith is older and has the wood topgrip so what can I do?

Third, I would like to get tighter groups than the 6" I am getting at 50 yards. I have ordered a muzzle brake, what else should I try, I know this is discussed in every other post but I would like to hear opinions again please. Thanks And I look foward to this group.

PS this is the standard not Ranch model.
Ed

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ed. First is to get your mini up & shooten!. Check out this schematic, so we are on the same track: http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp...el=1910zMINI-14 . I believe the "gas plug" (item #33) is the "gas piston" it should be loose, but not turn unless the "gas port bushing" (item #21) is lost. The gas port bushing fits inside the barrel, and inside the gas piston. You have to take your gas block apart. items #19, upper, and lower by removing 4 ea 9/64 allen screws. I'd soak, and clean these parts in a bore cleaner, and clean the orfice in the barrel. If you have all these parts clean, reassemble, torque the gas block screws evenly in a criss cross pattern, and gaping the gas block halves evenly. Use locktite blue on threads so they won't work loose. If your missing the gas port bushing, or its broken you can order a new one from the above web site if you have $1.30 + shipping.

Lets get your mini shooten, then we will deal with accuracy, and a new wood stock. Keep us posted. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, It was the gas port bushong that is missing. You were right on! I have no idea how it worked the other day without it. I just picked this up last week and the first time out to the range went through about 60 rounds, aftermarket mag problems.... But it functioned fine, just very large groups. Sat was when I noticed the ejecting probs. Called Ruger today and they are sending me the bushing and owners manual for it plus one for an old bearcat I inherited. Great people. So....on to the acuracy questions, I'm not expecting a tack driver but its like 5-6" at 50 yards. That 's not fun. The muzzle brake is ordered. What else should I try? Will a ventelated handguard fit on this rifle? Just wondering about that last question. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Originally posted by Edm
Second question: The stock is old and I wanna replace it I like wood but am not totaly agains rubber. Ith is older and has the wood topgrip so what can I do?

Third, I would like to get tighter groups than the 6" I am getting at 50 yards. I have ordered a muzzle brake, what else should I try, I know this is discussed in every other post but I would like to hear opinions again please. Thanks And I look foward to this group.

PS this is the standard not Ranch model.
Ed
Stocks are such a personal pref thing, here are a couple of links to give you some ideas, for stocks to match your hand guard or a new hand guard. There are many more links.

For better accuracy, clean the bore real good with a good copper cleaner. Ya may have to let it soak and repeat. I wouldn't trust any previous owner's cleaning. You have to get the copper out, it will affect the accuracy! I use Hoppies BenchRest copper cleaner (avail at walmart). The copper shows as blue/green on the patch.

Install the muzzle brake.

After cleaning, and installing the muzzle brake, try several types of ammo to see what it likes. No two rifles are alike. Some ammo will shoot twice as tight a group as others.

Scope it. A scope is way more accurate than iron sights at a distance.

Trigger job. Mike Knifong did mine. A smooth 3 1/2 #.

Bed the stock. It will tighten up your groups, and get rid of the flyers.

Use a sandbag, bipod, or bench rest when checking accuracy to eliminate as much human error as possible.

If you do all the above you should be shooting 2" or less at 100 yds. If not there are some other things to consider.

Well that should keep ya buisy for a little while. Keep us posted.;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts