Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys.
I purchased MINI 200 R rear iron sights from Tech-Sights and try to install them per their instruction.
Firts I install adapter block, then I tried to install sights and found that mounting hole on sights doesn't align with threaded hole on adapter. Am I doing something wrong or I am missing something. Or it is quality/design issue?
Pictures worth 1000 words.

·
Registered
108 Posts
What's keeping you from shifting the sight a tad forward so that the mounting hole in the sight lines up with the threaded hole in the adapter? It would cover the head of the adapter mounting screw but so what?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's keeping you from shifting the sight a tad forward so that the mounting hole in the sight lines up with the threaded hole in the adapter? It would cover the head of the adapter mounting screw but so what?
Piece of receiver.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Have you tried tapping it into place very lightly with a rubber mallet?

BTW .. you might try what One Mini said. Loosen the screw a bit and try shifting the actual piece towards the rear a tiny bit. Then try to tap the sight into place if it doesn't completely align.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No way it will fit, that bump on receiver is on the way.
it is only 2 possibilities-the adapter is wrong or I have to cut receiver, which I will not do.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Just try to contact the manufacturer. Maybe there's something else.

If it is the adapter, they should ship you the right one for free.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anybody who has this sights can give me dimensions between the holes on adapter, and total thikness of adapter?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I do have one other suggestion. Take off the screw that holds the peep hole part of the sight in place. Take that completely off. Then see if it will slide on right. It looks to me as if the actual sight is the part catching on the bump. If you can get it off and slide it into place that way, you may be able to re-attach it.

If I were there, I'm sure I could get it on there. Heh .. I have a way with un-cooperative trinkets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do have one other suggestion. Take off the screw that holds the peep hole part of the sight in place. Take that completely off. Then see if it will slide on right. It looks to me as if the actual sight is the part catching on the bump. If you can get it off and slide it into place that way, you may be able to re-attach it.

If I were there, I'm sure I could get it on there. Heh .. I have a way with un-cooperative trinkets.
I didn't get it. Which screw to take off? Adapter maunting screw?, windage adjustment screw?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'd actually take the whole piece off. The entire actual sight. Not sure what screws you'd have to take off to accomplish this, but I believe it might slide on there WITHOUT that piece .. going by the picture. If you look closely at what I'M seeing, that's the piece that isn't going over the hump.

If you can get that off there somehow, you may be able to get everything fitted. Once you do that, see if you can get that piece re-installed.

It may be a pain in the butt and it may not even go back on there while installed, but it's worth a shot before you send stuff back or wait for the same part to come in the mail again =)

Either way, hope ya get it on there somehow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd actually take the whole piece off. The entire actual sight. Not sure what screws you'd have to take off to accomplish this, but I believe it might slide on there WITHOUT that piece .. going by the picture. If you look closely at what I'M seeing, that's the piece that isn't going over the hump.

If you can get that off there somehow, you may be able to get everything fitted. Once you do that, see if you can get that piece re-installed.

It may be a pain in the butt and it may not even go back on there while installed, but it's worth a shot before you send stuff back or wait for the same part to come in the mail again =)

Either way, hope ya get it on there somehow.
I got it, remove windage adjustment screw, remove holder for pip stay. That is the problem that holder is touching the bump on receiver. I can grind it out probably the face which is touching receiver, but why this is happening?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I honestly couldn't tell you. It may be a manufacturing defect .. on the rifle OR the sights. It's probably the latter .. but who knows? i have no experience with the sights you're trying to install so I can't really speculate much. If I could actually see it in person, it would be a whole lot easier. Oh well!

I do think outside the box when it comes to this sort of thing, so I figured that might do the trick.

If that does NOT work, you might as well take a fine dremel bit and lightly grind the holder until it fits. Definitely don't go at that bump, though. You don't want that steel exposed.

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey, Palmaris! My replacement unit is aready mounted to the rifle via loc-tite, so I can't break it down for analysis, but... your adapter plate looks to be fine as per the screw hole positioning. Perhaps the main sight body is not machined correctly, and this is preventing it from lining up with the adapter plate's screw hole. The fact that it will not clear the rifle's receiver 'hump' shown in your photo, supports this. The sight will/may feel stiff when fitting it over the receiver for mounting. Mine was a bit off too, but a few light taps with a rubber hammer put it in alignment. I'm sure that Tech-Sights will remedy the problem for you quickly if all else fails. Most likely they'll send you a new sight unit. Good luck! Best!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello guys.
Thank you very much for all your help.
I talk on the phone with Tech-Sight rep, Larry and he was very hepfull. He sent me the drawing for this adapter plate and after analizing it i found couple thing didn't much my rifle. So I end up making my own adapter plate. It took approx 30 minutes. I made exactly what I wanted. You can see on the pictures, I have extended plate all the way to the back and engaged it with dowtail. I also changed the small angle (whoever has this adapter probably remember) from 3.5 degrees to 2 degrees, also I moved mounting hole .050" toward to the back. Now everything fits there perfect. I have made about .02" longer, so I was able to fit to rear dowtail and now it is not just holding by screw, also by dowtail. If anybody will be interested to in this design of adapter plate, I will be happy to share drawings. I will also send my design to Tech-sight, it might help them to make better products for us.
Here are the pics.
Sorry for my english, I was born in USSR, so ESL

·
Isolationist Libertarian
1,421 Posts
Looks great, solid as a rock now. Would you mind telling what series your Ranch is? The first 3 numbers of your serial number followed by a dash, this may be common to a number of rifles and would be good to know going in.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts