Perfect Union banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on buying a new Bushmaster 20" hvy barrel rifle in the very near future. I am in search of a good looking and not so loud break to put on the barrel. Wilson Combat has a nice one, but they want you to send the upper in to them to permanently install it. No dice, I'm not about to send my rifle away out of state for 3 weeks! Couldn't I just as easily get a competent gunsmith to install this for me? I have one nearby that has a very nice shop with lots of equipment, and he has done some great work in the past. Also, what would need to be done to classify this modification as "permanently installed"? I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer me. I have emailed Wilson Combat several times asking them what I need to do, but they have ignored me and given no response. This is my first experience with Wilson and my first impression is that their customer service sucks. I realize that I don't need a muzzle break to have a good rifle, but I have grown up seeing something on the end of those AR barrels and without something there, it just doesn't look like an AR-15. I wouldn't even want one if it didn't look somewhat like what an AR-15 should be in my mind. If I can't have a break installed locally I guess I'm stuck with the Smith Enterprise set screw model which will probably fly 100 yds downrange by the time I'm finished with the first mag! Thanks.

op-rod

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don't know anything about the muzzle brake. But I'm with you on the looks issue. If it dosen't look like an AR-15 it's an AR-Xteen.
Seriously, I'm interested in finding out what's out there.

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
If it installs over a threaded barrel, it must be permanently installed on POST-ban guns. That's blind pinned and soldered, as an example.

If you have a postban barrel with no threads, some brakes will install as "slip on" and be held in with set screws. These do NOT have to be permanently installed. I have a set screw attached brake on a FAL, and it stays set! The trick is to have it installed correctly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Request that Bushmaster install it prior to ordering. They will either thread the barrel and attach it permantly or place a slip on and pin it.....they then turn down the pin and weld the holes. I refer the AK Brake bushmaster installs.......man that baby does the job and is not loud. Don`t do it after the fact, it will cost more and look cheap. Regards LTS

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Bill I am leaning toward your idea. I can get the Smith Enterprises brake at a good price and it looks good enough to me. By getting the 4 set screws snug and maybe using a tad of loctite or JB Weld, I doubt that break will move. Thanks a bunch.

op-rod

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I have a preban so I'm at a little more advantage to try different things. And I've tried a bunch of different styles!! I agree with Liktoshoot. I have the AK style on mine at the present time and it works great. Just my two cents.

:sniper:

·
No Longer Involved
2,398 Posts
Originally posted by op-rod
Thanks guys. Bill I am leaning toward your idea. I can get the Smith Enterprises brake at a good price and it looks good enough to me. By getting the 4 set screws snug and maybe using a tad of loctite or JB Weld, I doubt that break will move. Thanks a bunch.

op-rod
My FAL smith drilled small reliefs into where the set screws would grab. No problems yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts