Perfect Union banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mini 14 that I`m in the process of restoring. The rifle was in a fire, the stock was destroyed and most of the other parts received water damage.

I have ordered a new stock and hand guard, and was able to restore about ninety percent of all of the other parts. What I need help with is the barrel.

The rifle I have is a 180 series mini 14, will a barrel from a 188 series mini 14 work on my rifle ?. What about the gas block ?. The pictures that I have seen of the 188 series barrels, they look heavier than the 180 series barrels.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Mini-14's receiver and bolt are a castings (albeit a very high quality, durable castings). Heat treating is absolutely vital for the strength, hardness, and structural integrity of both the bolt receiver. If it has been in a fire hot enough to burn off the stock and discolor the metal, the heat treat is absolutely shot! This would be exacerbated by the weapon being quenched with water during the fire-fighting process.

The receiver and bolt will need re-heat treated, though it will be difficult to duplicate the factory controlled process. Probably the fire has also ruined the barrel, so it is probably beyond help.

Do not fire it! I saw an acquaintance who had a 30-30 that was burned the same way. He replaced the wood, but on the advice of others, chucked it up in a vise. The receiver went on the second shot.

The 223 cartridge generates approximately 52,000 to 60,000 (for 5.56) PSI when fired. You don't want that close to your melon when you fire it!

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
You can't do much with a 180 series as the parts are no longer made. You may contact ASI and see what new parts can be made for it, custom of course. You definitely want to replace the barrel, it's only a paper weight as is.

Reactions: imarangemaster

·
Registered
120 Posts
I hate to say it, but as I am an expert on this kind of thing (B.S. in Safety Engineering) and have a lot of experience with steel and fire, I would say your gun is done. Cast steel that is heat treated to withstand the kind of pressures that the .223/5.56mm is designed to produce is almost impossible to retreat, I can promise Ruger will not even think about doing it.
It is just one of those things that are unfortunate. Rugers in general are almost indestructible. Extreme heat is almost the only thing short of being run over with an M1A1 the will put a Ruger in totally unusable condition.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Shadow Man, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this gun will never be safe to fire. As a matter of fact, it would be down right dangerous to ever attempt to fire. Cut your losses, render what you have unrepeirable, sell it for scrap and find you a new or good used Mini. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,469 Posts
Cobradoc, good to see you back!

Reactions: imarangemaster
1 - 8 of 8 Posts