Perfect Union banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking at a norinco ak. i am wondering why it says n.y. n.y. on the side. it may of even had the word siles above that. is there an easy way to tell if it is a true norinco. it looks like a nice gun. we opened up the top and it had the double hammer spring. seen a couple s/n's on the metal that matched. bottom says norinco. I dont remember seeing the 66 in a triangle but i wasnt looking it may have been there. basically i want to make sure i am getting the true product if i am paying 695 + tax for a used gun. also it doesnt have the slant muzzle brake, it has some flash surpressor but the front sight is enclosed in a circle.

·
M14 guy
990 Posts
I am looking at a norinco ak. i am wondering why it says n.y. n.y. on the side. it may of even had the word siles above that. is there an easy way to tell if it is a true norinco. it looks like a nice gun. we opened up the top and it had the double hammer spring. seen a couple s/n's on the metal that matched. bottom says norinco. I dont remember seeing the 66 in a triangle but i wasnt looking it may have been there. basically i want to make sure i am getting the true product if i am paying 695 + tax for a used gun. also it doesnt have the slant muzzle brake, it has some flash surpressor but the front sight is enclosed in a circle.
It's a real Norinco, but I can't tell if it's a MAK-90 or a pre ban.
Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a real Norinco, but I can't tell if it's a MAK-90 or a pre ban.
Can you post a picture?
I cant because its at the gun store. if i buy it tomorrow i will. how do you tell if its a mak 90 or preban?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it had a thumb whole stock that didnt match the wood in front. i went back today and they had put the pistol grip on with matching wood and then raised the price to 750. i asked him where the norinco was that i looked at saturday and he said i was holding it but i could still have it for 695.

·
M14 guy
990 Posts
it had a thumb whole stock that didnt match the wood in front. i went back today and they had put the pistol grip on with matching wood and then raised the price to 750. i asked him where the norinco was that i looked at saturday and he said i was holding it but i could still have it for 695.
It sounds like a post ban MAK-90.
The price ain't bad as long as you get a few Chinese 30 round mags with it, but you need to be very careful how the rifle is configured.

NOTE: If it is a ban era MAK-90, it needs to meet 922r compliance before you can legally have a pistol grip and muzzle device.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i read some of that 922r and that is crazy. hard to believe there are laws like that. if i ask the gun store owner he should be able to tell me if its pre ban or not and if the gun is in compliance. is it not his responsability to sell me a legal gun?

the mickey mouse ears on obombmer are great .

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
i read some of that 922r and that is crazy. hard to believe there are laws like that. if i ask the gun store owner he should be able to tell me if its pre ban or not and if the gun is in compliance. is it not his responsability to sell me a legal gun?

It is his responsability but to be honest I doubt all gun store owners even know about 922r compliance. I went to my local gun store and asked them about it and there was only one guy there that knew what it was.

·
M14 guy
990 Posts

It's the buyers responsibility to be aware and beware.

I had several MAK-90s and sold them so I could buy one pre ban Norinco Type 56s AKM like this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks like a nice gun. what does a preban cost?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
quick question. can a mak 90 say 756s imported by sile on it? the gun dealer said that the awb expired so it no longer matters if its post or pre ban.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I called the ATF in washington dc and told him my concerns about buying the ak with it, not knowing if its post ban and mentioned 922r to him. he said that law went away and if a atf compliant dealer is selling the weapon it is fine. i am thinking this guy may have not understood what i was asking or he didnt know. Number is 1-800-800-3855 if any one else wants to try.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The AWB went away but not the 922r. I read an article a few months ago about the confusion dealing with AWB and firearms like the MAK90. You still need a set amount of compliant American made parts installed, if you want to change the stock on a Norinco MAK90. Tapco also has parts listed as compliant.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts