Perfect Union banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a Sharps Rifle Company AR lower receiver.
Does anyone have any experience with them?Also will most lower parts
kits work this lower?
Thanks in advance.

-TEX

·
Independent Field Tester
967 Posts
I have a chance to buy a Sharps Rifle Company AR lower receiver.
Does anyone have any experience with them?Also will most lower parts
kits work this lower?
Thanks in advance.

-TEX
The LPK should fit but I've been reading some complaints of some lowers being out of spec. Slot for the bolt catch not wide enough and some being angled. Another posted the upper would not close on the lower because of the rear lug being too wide.(I had that with a Spikes lower. A little grinding fixed it.)
Rguns is apparently who is marketing the lowers. They don't have a very good reputation from what I could find out.

So short answer, no, I would spend a little more and get a lower from a reputable company.
They are not hard to fine in the $70-$100 price range.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Unfortunately, some of the companies that showed-up on the scene in the last year or two, due to the "buying spree" that went on after the election have run into some major quality issues.

One company in particular, Roggio Arsenal, that I once touted as being a "best kept secret" seems to have gone out of business. And, apparently they left A LOT of people scre^^ed as a result. In fact, I've read many recent reviews and reports about their lowers, and it it seems their quality really went into the dumper over the last year.

From a personal standpoint, it leaves me wondering what to expect from the lowers I purchased. That being said, I will say the Roggio Arsenal lowers purchased at the beginning of 2009 are functioning as expected. But, I have to be honest, I'm now left wondering which round is going to cause an irreparable failure. Frankly, so many negative reports have made me strongly reconsider these lowers. And, I'm considering swapping them out for something else.

Bottom line, after more than a few AR builds under my belt, I've learned when it comes to choosing your AR-15 components, it's best to go with a well-known manufacturer. And, fortunately there are many to choose from.

Does this mean that a small shop can't produce a good lower? Well, no. But, part of the price tag of buying a lower from a well-known manufacturer is peace of mind. :cool:

Anyway, here's a few companies I would take a look at:
* Rock River Arms
* DPMS
* Yankee Hill Machine
* Spike's Tactical
* CMMG

NOTE: There are other reputable manufacturers too; these are just some of them.

To answer your other question, yes, if the lowers are "mil-spec", any LPK should work just fine.

Lastly, for what it's worth, I believe the most important components to spend a little more money on for an AR-15 are:
* barrel
* lower receiver
* upper receiver
* fire control group

The rest of the components generally come down to the personal taste or specific needs of the rifle and/or shooter.

Moral of the story? Ultimately, you get what you pay for.

I hope this helps. ;)

·
Independent Field Tester
967 Posts
I agree. Fact is there are only so many forgeing companies that make upper and lower receivers. The manufacturer puts their roll mark on it. That is why it's important to go with a reputable company. Any manufacturer has the ability to let a bad one or a batch of bad ones through QC.
If a less than reputable dealer buys them as blems, puts a roll mark on them and wipes his hands clean after the sale, you are stuck. Who's going to court over a $55 lower?
I've bought lesser parts trying to get by in the past. Some you could, some I would have been better off buying better.

It's a learning experience.
It's also important to realize the purpose of your weapon.
Is it for range use?
Is it for range/ome defense?
Is it a work weapon?

Then you can decide what is important.
Uppers/lowers from better companies will work the same, so long as they are in spec.

Barrels will determine the accuracy and longevityof said barrel
BCG's are not created equal. A duty weapon or HD weapon should have an MP/HP tested bolt.
Carrier keys should be staked properly.

LPK's are also not created equally. Some have out of spec parts, cheap pins prone to break or not fit.
You don't have to break the bank for a decent, dependable AR.

I've built a few decent ones from DelTon kits and used their BCG's. Not HP/MPI tested but I've never had a problem with them.

My duty weapon uses a BCM BCG. tested.
I like chrome lined barrels for durability.
I use RRA and CMMG LPK's
Do some research before you buy. Decide what the use is for the weapon.
Pay close attention to the parts that matter:
MilSpec upper/lower receivers
HP/MP tested bolts-properly staked carrier keys
Barrel suited to your needs
Quality LPK
The rest is dressing.
Quality iron sights for a duty/HD wepaon. Optics can come later.

At the top of the list RANGE TIME
I've seen too many people including Police Officers that have a ton of money tied up in a weapon that they are not proficient with.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
At the top of the list RANGE TIME
shadow1 makes some great points about choosing AR-15 components.

And, once you build your rifle, his statement above is the most important one to remember..."range time".

In other words, whatever components you chose to go with, make sure you know how to use your rifle...at the range, on the job, in a SHTF scenario, or just plinkin' with the fellas on the back-40.

As far as what components to go with? Well, that's ultimately going to come down to who you listen to, and what your pocket book can afford (not necessarily in that order).

What I can't stress enough is to not get too consumed with saving money on the "major components". But rather, spend the "extra" money on these them, as you will have peace of mind, and in the end, you may just save money on the additional money you have to spend to "fix" a problem from buying things "on the cheap".

Are there "high value" products/components? Yes, for sure. And, we discuss those here regularly.

But, some things you just don't want to "skimp" on.

Again, once you've got the rifle built, the biggest thing you don't want to "skimp" on is RANGE TIME!

Besides, it's a blast! ;)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You can get a good lower for under $100. The lowers mentioned by alaj70 are good, and so are Double-Star and Smith & Wesson. If a store is selling one under $80, it's probably a second/has issues, so avoid it. As for LPKs, RRA makes a good one, and the stock trigger is decent. If you want to splurge and get a good trigger, get the RRA National Match LPK and you'll have a very good trigger. Just don't use it for fast shooting (carbine classes, 3-Gun), it's not designed for that. If that's what you want to do, get a Spike's Battle Trigger. It's a nice trigger group for under $65.

Jim

·
Registered
852 Posts
I just recently came across Aero Precision uppers and lowers on JSGunparts.com. They are made in Tacoma, WA which is cool since I am from around there. (Always nice to get a hometown product)

http://jsgunparts.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=93_210

Everything I have read is that these are pretty good uppers and lowers. Only some trigger pin fitment issues because the pins were the wrong sizes, were the biggest issues I came across. The reason these are as cheap as they are is that they manufature in bulk for other AR companies and themselves. I am planning on getting two of each when I get back at these prices. Here is a link to a mini-article about the company, it's pretty good.

http://230grain.com/showthread.php?34271-Industry-Interviews-Aero-Precision

Just another option for anybody looking to build their own. Good luck with your build Tex!

TG

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I just recently came across Aero Precision uppers and lowers on JSGunparts.com. They are made in Tacoma, WA which is cool since I am from around there. (Always nice to get a hometown product)
AeroPrecision makes lowers for LMT. I've built two lowers by them and they work great, and I got them for $85 each. RRA LPKs fit just right in them.

Jim

·
Registered
852 Posts
AeroPrecision makes lowers for LMT. I've built two lowers by them and they work great, and I got them for $85 each. RRA LPKs fit just right in them.

Jim
Good to know! Now I have more confidence in them as a product! Thanks Jim.

TG

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice fellas!Very much appreciated!
You guys have made some good points and gave me alot to think about.I've decided to go with another brand vs the sharps.I will definitely pay a little more for peace of mind.It will be a slow process for me.First I will get the lower then build from there.I was going to start earlier this year but funds would'nt allow it.I'll you guys know what I find.
The AR will be a back up for my Mini or vise versa.It will be my range,home defense,and possible shtf rifle.
Thanks again!
-TEX

·
Registered
1,656 Posts

Jim
Jimbo,

You've peaked my interest about these AeroPrecision lowers.

Just curious, how's the fit with various uppers from other manufacturers? In other words, can you swap out upper halves on these lowers?

Also, how does the buffer retainer and buffer spring hole look? Specifically, how close is it drilled (in millimeters) from the wall of the cavity in the lower receiver that houses the fire control group, safety and rear takedown pin?

FYI...I've got one from a lesser-known brand that seems quite thin compared to my RRA lowers.

Just wanted to get your perspective, as I know you're a straight shooter. ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Jimbo,

Just curious, how's the fit with various uppers from other manufacturers? In other words, can you swap out upper halves on these lowers?

Also, how does the buffer retainer and buffer spring hole look? Specifically, how close is it drilled (in millimeters) from the wall of the cavity in the lower receiver that houses the fire control group, safety and rear takedown pin?

FYI...I've got one from a lesser-known brand that seems quite thin compared to my RRA lowers.

Wish I had been on the forum a few days ago when this came up. This afternoon I just finished building a lower for alaj70's "AR15 Challenge" and it is one of the Aero Precison lowers that is roll-marked "Surplus Arms". I bought it from Gunbroker for 59.99 which included shipping. (last time I checked they were still available) Overall, I was happy with this lower and used mostly DPMS parts to finish it out. For the money, it was worth it.

I might also mention my all-time favorite, DoubleStar (aka- JT Distributing), which can be found at reasonable prices and I've found all of their components to be top-notch and a real bang-for-your-buck value. Check them out, too.

·
Registered
583 Posts
A bunch of guys on another forum I frequent have used the Aero Precision/Surplus Arms lowers for builds. Every one of them thought they were excellent quality (especially for the price).
Most of them bought more.

It's a big aerospace shop that switched over to machining AR forgings after their (I suspect Boeing) work demand declined.

They're just very efficient, not poor quality, and keeping the price low through demand.

That was my conclusion, at least.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Jimbo,

I run DPMS and CMMG uppers on the lower I got, fit is not a problem, but colors vary. That hole looks about the same as the YHM and Spike's I still have and the DPMS lower I used to have. But that's eyeballing it.

Jim

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey fellas I finally got a lower!Its a aero precision.It seems well made and
looks real nice!Thanks for all the advice you guys gave me.
My plan next is to get a buttstock assembly,lower parts kit,and some tools to do the job.I'm trying to go with a classic colt commando/kiss setup.The
collapsible stock I picked says its commercial diameter and I believe my
lower is mil spec.Will this still work with my lower?Total AR newbie here so
bare with.

Thanks in advance!
-TEX

·
Independent Field Tester
967 Posts
As far as Mil spec lower, that part does not matter. The buffer tube will have to be commercial for the stock to fit correctly.
I just built a Commando. Not a Colt, but I like it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As far as Mil spec lower, that part does not matter. The buffer tube will have to be commercial for the stock to fit correctly.
I just built a Commando. Not a Colt, but I like it.
That is a sweet rig!Congrats!Pretty much what I'm going for right now.Thanks for the info.
I think I will get the CAR-15 stock and a DPMS LPK.The DPMS LPK's seem abundant and the best deal.Any objections?

-TEX

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
shadow1,

Sweeeeet! Nice rifle, man. :cool:

How about some specs on that bad-boy?

I totally dig the A2 upper receiver. You see, I've grown fond of the A2 upper. It's not suited for all my rifles, but I do like it on ones I'm going to use iron sights mainly.

BTW, I learned a nifty trick while at Camp Perry this summer. We were shooting an M-16 with a A2 upper. Now, since you're left arm is cinched-up with the sling while shooting, it can be a little cumbersome to hit the bolt catch when reloading a new magazine. Instead, you can simply reach through the A2 upper's carry handle with your right hand (using your fingers), and release the bolt catch that way. This is especially nice when shooting prone. I hope this tip works out for you.

Again, nice rifle!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.