Perfect Union banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Looking to replace to the 1 inch loops on my OEM mini 30 stock with 1 1/4. Ive already removed the 1 inch ones. Goal is to use my national match shooting sling for practice. The hunter 1 inch is not going to be up to snuff.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I believe if you simply removed the 1 inch sling loops already installed on a factory version, quick detach swivels would fit the holes where the factory loops were. Someone else already did something like this. The hole in the gas block in front may have to be made thinner to clear common QD swivels.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Most mail order gun and hunting companies make a screw in 1/14 sling swivel for the back hole and do like jor-el said with the front.

kwg

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
For accurate shooting with a tight sling(as GOD intended!), there should be no attachments to the barrel/gas block. Sling should attach to the stock only. Before free float tubes were readily available for AR-15 NM rifles, it was common to see a 20-35 MOA drop in elevation from off hand position to the others, due to a really tight sling bending the barrel/flexing the upper/lower receiver interface. Hell, I cracked an AR-15 upper from a tight sling!

Reactions: sandog

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Yes, mounting on the stock is better, and not on the gas block (or barrel).
Sling here is mounted on the right side (as I am left handed ) using a Magpul pic rail clamp swivel.

The hole where my factory swivel was - is now bare, but at one time I drilled that hole slightly larger for a 1 1/4" Q.D. swivel.

It can be said, that with a tight sling (as God AND our drill instructors intended !) that a side mounted sling could pull on the stock to one side. I haven't noticed any ill effects though and was shooting pretty good 200 yard groups last time I shot with the irons.
I greatly prefer the advantages of a front side mount rather than the limited bottom sling mounting location.
Here my daughter is holding her Mini in the ready position with the side sling. To use as a shooting aid, she just have to put her arm between the stock and sling, twist the sling around the elbow, and place the hand back on the stock.
Takes about 2 seconds to actually do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what I did was order the Harris no.2 adaptor. Ill add that to the front and replace the loop in the rear with a larger unit. I have to say...Ruger did a terrible job on the sling attachments on this gun. They could not have done worse literally.

Anyways ill be adding a NM style 1907 to the gun...should be fun.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Quak, you may want to look up the USGI web sling. It is just as stable, possibly easier to get into, and should cost much less. I don't even use a 1907 sling anymore, even for regional/state/nat. matches.
I find the Web sling to actually slightly more stable, as there are no keepers to loosen.
Project Appleseed sells them cheaply.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive used them in the past but honestly am not a big fan. I don't like having to detach it from one side of the rifle to use it. In my experience its more time consuming and clumsy

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Only to use the loop sling do you need to detach it. The hasty-hasty, and the hasty don't require detaching the sling. And the hasty is almost as stable as the loop.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I respectfully disagree on the hasty. It does not come close to the 1907 or hunter whelen for me.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I understand. I liked your post because you know what slings work for you, and I commend that!
The sling is an integral part of accurate rifle shooting in my opinion!

Reactions: sandog
1 - 12 of 12 Posts