Perfect Union banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone neck turn? I won't bother for 223 loads for the mini-14 but I have a rem 788 in .222 that shoots great. It easily shoots 5 rounds into 3/4" or less at 100 yards. I figure neck turning plus a new Timney trigger (on the way!) could get me into the 1/2" range. Has anyone used the rcbs turning tools?

·
Registered
833 Posts
its not going to affect your group size at that range significantly. When you start shooting benchrest competitions at 1000 yards... THEN neck turning will make slight gains in group sizes... meaning that a tenth of an inch at 1000 yards is the difference between a win and a loss. :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
Look at this article. Obviously YMMV, but a quick google search turned up this
Neck Turning Hand Loads
and a good discusision...
Neck turning tools? - LongRangeHunting Online Magazine

Based on these I would not neck turn. Accurate competition dies, trickler charger, match bullets, etc. seem like a much better investment.

Having said that, if you have all of the above and you are going the extra mile with everything else then why not neck turn?

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
;)I inside ream!It seems to work just fine for my 37 yr old 788 in 223 that still shoots 3/8 groups(5shot)ctoc at 100yds with stock trigger!Original everything,but I glass bedded it!Remington really did a FU-when they quit making those!Can't even find them at gun shows out here!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha I forgot about posting this! I have not gotten into neck turning yet, since I started working on my model 700 in .270 a couple months ago. I put on a remington xcr stock from ebay, floated the barrel, and put on a new vortex 4-16x44 LR scope. The first batch of sierra 130 grain spbt with imr-7828ssc shot under 2 inches with 5 round groups, no further tweeking. I just bought an rcbs chronograph, so I am heading back out this weekend for further 270 development. I will move back to the 222/223's when I get 1.5 inch 5 round groups...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got into the neck turning several years ago and it's a pain. weather or not it's worth it is up to you. I got my Ruger 22-250 and 220 swift M-77 down to 1/4 groups at 100 yards. It's all in the cases if you use match bullets. there is a lot you can do with the cases. I even blue Printed a couple sets and it does make a difference. Unless your a true blue benchrest shooter I don't think it's worth it. I had to give up my guns during a devorse but still have all my comp dies and neck turning dies. Maybe some day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts