Perfect Union banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SAFE Act (Bill #S.514) is aimed at national reciprocity for CCW permit holders. It hasn't had much activity lately, but last month it did pick up its 4th sponsor. Might be a good idea to contact your legislators about this one, as I see it as very much a step in the right direction. (with the ultimate goal being a nation wide law like the current Vermont law: No permit is needed to carry concealed or otherwise.)

The relevant text from the bill is:

"Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, a person may carry in any State a concealed firearm in accordance with the terms of the license or with the laws of the State of the person's residence, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried if that person--

`(1) is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm; and

`(2)(A) is carrying a valid license or permit that is issued pursuant to the law of any State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm; or

`(B) is otherwise entitled to carry a concealed firearm in and pursuant to the law of the State of a person's residence.'.

(B) CLERICAL AMENDMENT- The table of sections for chapter 44 of title 18 is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926A the following:

`926B. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.'."

·
Registered
282 Posts
I would truly love to see national reciprocity for concealed carry. I just don't see it happening though. There is just to much disparity between the states on what their qualifications are.

The argument that there is reciprocity on things like drivers licenses does not hold water because ALL states have them. If you think that the Federal DOT, NHTSA, and other agencies don't dictate what the guidelines for issuance are, you are mistaken. They do this by threatening or actually witholding the Federal funds for highways, etc.

Now lets assume that the Federal agencies lay down the guidelines for National Concealed Carry. Sure makes it sound like an instant national registry of gun owners that could be abused at the whim of the politicians in office. That is something that I don't think any of us want.

Vermont's CCW laws are the most reasonable I know of. Basicaly, if it is not used to commit a crime it is legal and no additional requirements. This I support 110%, but, there is about as much chance of the snowball in #*ll of this being approved by all states.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't create any new registry or make a new CCW of any type, it forces states to honor permits issued by a person's home state. I've read the entire text of the bill, and it doesn't set up any new registries, new agencies, etc. It doesn't require states to change the rules they use to issue their permits to their own citizens.

Effectively, it protects travellers and tourists, keeping them from having to research each state they will travel through and abide by multiple regulations.

However, I am similarly pessimistic about its chances of succeeding. It was initially authored a year ago, and hasn't had a vote yet, although it was sent to review by the judiciary committee. It's worth the effort to mail or fax your support, though. Generate enough noise, and its a possibility.

Full bill text:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c107:S.514:.

A good explanation of the constitutionallityof the bill:
http://www.nealknox.com/sgn/sgn-archive/20...sgn3-20-01.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts