Perfect Union banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started reading alot about all of the different quality control issues with the Century Arms WASR's I decided I just had to see these for myself. I waited until the next gun show and had no trouble finding the WASR's..
They ranged from $375-$600. ALL of the issues I saw were in fit-finish or lack of. I found one at a great price that only had two issues. Stock was rough enough to give splinters and it took at least 3 hands to put the top reciever cover on. I knew these were "no brainer" fixes.
My plan was to remove some material from the muzzle end of the cover and that took care of that issue,and then finish the stock/waterproof this season and finish the build in my spare time. WELL, I broke my ribs mid January and was going crazy sitting around waiting so I went ahead and ordered the parts and went to work.

Primary use :Boar
Secondary use: SHTF

Parts installed:
1.MAKO upper/lower handguard w/rail
2.TAPCO grip
3.TRUGLO red dot sight
4.TANGODOWN rail grip for switch-op components
5. RUSTOLEUM "CAMOFLAGUE" Matt finish (This finish comes no where close to the durability of DURACOTE type products but then again its $2.99 a can and can be touched up in seconds.) This product was recommended to me by a friend who happens to be in active service with a Green Beret unit deployed in the mountains between Paki and Ghanistan.DONT use this product if you are anal about scratches. Ive got around 400+ rounds through mine,4 days on an ATV patrolling the south border of my friends ranch, a trip to the range and this rifle is never in a case. I think my guns finish is holding up way better then I expected..........This is my first freehand camo on a gun,its easy to get great results using the vinyl templates but I wanted to try one freehand. How do you guys think it came out?................John

Here is my "team" for security jobs: Colt M1911A1,AK, Makarov(backup), Mossy 500(not shown)

Even the "Bayo" got a makeover :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zepman,

Nice AK-47! And, a good write-up too.

BTW, the camo-job looks cool! :cool:
Thanks dude, I forgot to mention she shoots 2.5 inch groups at 75 yds!!! There is nothing wrong with these rifles that couldnt be fixed easily but Century either needs to get these problems resolved or sell them as "kits" because I havent seen one of these WASR's yet that were what I would call "finished":rolleyes:............................John

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Thanks dude, I forgot to mention she shoots 2.5 inch groups at 75 yds!!! There is nothing wrong with these rifles that couldnt be fixed easily but Century either needs to get these problems resolved or sell them as "kits" because I havent seen one of these WASR's yet that were what I would call "finished":rolleyes:............................John
Good to know. ;)

I've heard that Century's QC is supposed to be better these days, due to a new management team. I wonder if that's really true?

The price on them is definitely do-able.

Me? I like my Saiga's and "converting" them myself. And, now I've gotten into the SKS rifles too.

I love these two Russian designs! ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know. ;)

I've heard that Century's QC is supposed to be better these days, due to a new management team. I wonder if that's really true?

The price on them is definitely do-able.

Me? I like my Saiga's and "converting" them myself. And, now I've gotten into the SKS rifles too.

I love these two Russian designs! ;)
I fell in love with 3 Russian designs and those would be the SKS,AK and the Makarov. I own all 3 and I have NEVER had a single malfunction, misfire, stovepipe, NOTHING with any of them. Simple in design and to maintain no serious survivalist should be caught without one....

My SKS is from NORINCO/Polytek (Poly made the rifles for the Chinese Honor Guard) Next to Garand, it the most accurate Autoloading rifle I have ever fired.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Real nice job. Hey try some brown bear 123 gr HP ammo for Hogs, but shoot for the head,they make a mess when they come out. May have to dremel the feed ramp and polish it . I had to do it on one of mine ,but not the other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts