Perfect Union banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. the last two years I spent in the military involved academic training devices or "simulators" for the B-2 Stealth bomber program at Whiteman AFB Mo.

Ergonomics and more specifically checklist flow were key issues we addressed with the primary and subcontractors in the program. The concepts for the aircraft were the same as those for the training devices and both were in development at that time.

Whew. Okay, that's a little background. What does that have to do with guns? One thing I learned, and stressed to the engineers was the simple fact that ergonomics are critical to comfort, endurance and top level performance. Nobody knows this better than our nation's military. Look at the AR15. It isn't just a spacegun looking toy that out-futured its predecessors. It fits. The ammo is smaller and lighter. If it doesn't fit you, you can make it fit. A gun that fits works better...agreed?

When I was young, before safes became so popular and home invasion was nearly unheard of, i dreamed of a gun collection filling cabinets with fancy custom measured wood, each stock fitting me perfectly when shouldered. My traditional stocked Mini 14 seemed the better choice for an old fart like me.

Reality has set in at the age of 55. If I want my guns to fit, i can only afford plastic guns.

Luckily for me, I know the true value of ergonomics. I have come to grips with the fact that the fancy, beautiful collection belongs to people who have earned the funds to do that. Many of them also shoot impressively and I support all shooting or collecting of firearms! For me, give me adjustability.

I put on my deer hunting clothes this year and realized for the first time my mini won't work for that...not yet. Stock too long in the LOP for me in winter gear. My daughter has decided to remedy that for me. So off I go into the world of polymer and glass with my 5.56 "nonthreatening" mini 14. So much for that hunting rifle looking idea, but it is going to fit me in all scenarios soon.

Maybe when summer comes back around i'll slip on the wood stock and scare up a few yotes for old time's sake.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Get the older pre 580 Mini stocks. Less lenght for several layers of clothes. You don't have to re-invent the wheel. kwg

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I mentioned somewhere...my daughter is getting me a strikeforce stock for Christmas. Now my mini will fit me in all forms of dress and my wife too, since she is 4'11" and hard to fit. The strikeforce on her 10/22 has made shooting together possible and actual fun, instead of fun for me and frustrating for her. Like I said, adjustability is what I'm after here, to achieve felxiblility in ergonomics between multiple shooters, to be a little more specific. We will be using a wheel that has been improved over the original invention for this purpose. For those of you who have achieved perfect all-purpose fit with the wood stock, that's awesome. Mine fits too when i am shooting in the summertime. Most of my hunting, however is in the winter. Now I won't have to leave my mini out of the winter fun. Since I prefer the garand style action over the Ar (familiarity, nothing more to read into this), this is a great solution for me.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
76 Posts
For me, the standard wood or synthetic Mini stock fits regardless on my clothing. I have long arms, and do not mind a short LOP. I agree the adjustable AR style stocks are great for smaller shooters, heavy clothing, and especially young shooters. While I prefer the ergos of the standard stock, I can see the attraction of the adjustable ones.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for me...the short LOP is actually too long...I am not a big guy. I also have some preferences for different purposes and the lion's share of them mean short, easy maneuvering. I will eventually have my barrel cut down as short as legally possible, since this mini was a local convenient purchase and that option just wasn't available. I still am mulling over the flash hider, etc.

Yeah, everybody is different. When I shot my son's AR15 for the first time, I loved it. Still do. It took me a few months of shooting the mini to figure out what it was about the AR 15 I liked so much and when I finally got around to doing more shooting away from a bench i figured it out quickly. I was always mixing some bench time in every range session for quite awhile, tryigngdifferent optics, experimenting with some handload variations, tinkering with the homemade strut, etc. It's pretty amazing how much you can fit yourself to the gun when seated at a bench, without realizing the gun simply doesn't fit you. Being on a budget, It would have been quite some time before I could have justified the stock purchase for myslef. I am grateful for my daughter's perceptive and giving nature.

God Bless!

Ron

·
Registered
315 Posts
In my 63 years of "real" gun ownership I've never owned or shot one that did not have a wood stock except for a Remington "nylon" .22 I once owned, that gun seemed cheap to me. I've grown so used to the concept of wood I never consider anything else. My latest Mini 14 is wood stocked. When I throw it up to my shoulder it just seems right.

I'm ergonomically, all-be-it by choice attached to wood. I also like 50 cent words.

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you guys remember the remington 581 bolt action? I still have mine. I paid 56 dollars of hard earned lawn mowing money for it. It is the perfect fit. Just a touch shorter LOP than my mini. About the same as my 10/22. I will eventually get a strikeforce stock for my 10/22, since my wife's can be adjusted to fit me perfectly. The old 581 is still awesome for squirrels and rabbits...really takes me back when i use it.

God Bless!

Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts