Perfect Union banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Redleg
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My best 10/22s both have red dot sights. Wanted to create one with iron sights, and here she is. Hogue rubber stock, Tech GI-style sights, and Volquartsen Trigger Group. Also Uncle Mike swivel and GI-style sling:

My review of the Volquartsen drop-in trigger group is here: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1M1OIO35CX7YZ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm (would appreciate a "helpful" vote if you do in fact find my review helpful.)

GI style front sight:

Overall, a fun rifle!

·
Redleg
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: finally got this rig to the range.

Assembling the Rifle

The rifle is the 10/22 Stainless Steel, dropped into a Hogue Overmolded Stock (Rubber) -- this is the best stock (for me) that I have found, as I prefer traditional rifle stocks over "tactical" stocks.

My entire review of the TSR100 can be seen here: Amazon.com: Roger J. Buffington's review of Tech Sight's TSR100 Adjustable Aperture Si...

Incidentally, I did not find the TSR100 easy to adjust using just a .223 round as some claim is possible. I used the actual Tech Sight tool designed for this specific sight, and I recommend it. Here is the link to this tool and my review on Amazon: Amazon.com: Roger J. Buffington's review of Tech Sight's TS155 tool for Adjusting TSR1...

At the Range:

Getting this whole rig to the range, I will admit to some trepidation. I have had zeroing sessions where the first rounds were completely off the target, making it a bear to get the darned thing onto the target so that one can start making intelligent click adjustments. I wanted to zero at 25 yards. Not to worry! My Tech Sights were slightly high and right (shooting from a sandbag) but not bad at all. After about 4 clicks to adjust POI to the left, and two clicks to slightly lower POI, I was satisfied with the groups:

Shooting Federal Blue Box Champion here, and since this was my lunch hour, I was plenty caffeinated, so any flyers are for sure the fault of the shooter. Naturally I will be practicing to improve this unimpressive performance. But I cannot fault the rifle!

Other comments.

My groups here are approaching what I can achieve with a Red Dot Sight, so I was relatively happy with the Tech Sight TSR100. Tech Sight makes a TSR200 model that allows some elevation adjustment at the rear sight. I had some remorse that I did not elect this sight for a few bucks extra, but in practice it turned out that I have no need of that. Elevation was almost dead-on from the initial shot, and it was very easy to adjust elevation using the front sight post in traditional GI fashion. So I suppose I saved a few bucks for some ammo, for when .22 ammo becomes available again.

The rifle itself functioned flawlessly. I have owned numerous 10/22s (and still do) and I have never had any function issues with any of them. When I read posts on this forum from guys whose 10/22s are experiencing problems, I can only scratch my head. The Volquartsen trigger makes shooting and getting back on target a dream.

·
Registered
8,703 Posts
I had considered tech sight set for my lstest gun acquisition the 10/22 I bought from Di ck's on Black Friday sale for 179$$ (and the last one in stock, I'm sure there were others that were disappointed there was no more in stock) but decided on the less costly william's fire sight set - glad I did as I'm impressed w/the ease of aligning - my eyesight is beginning to show my age. have'nt sighted it in yet but plan to soon. very easy to adjust both windage and elevation w/the rear. the rear slid into place and is held by a set screw the front is a dovetail tight fit which required a bit of work with patternmakers small file set.
good thread roger

·
Redleg
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Williams looks pretty good, and if I had not gone with the Tech Sight I would have gone with the Williams. I do think that the Tech Sight is more durable, but the Williams shore is purty! I use Williams Fire Sights on my GP100 revolver and absolutely love it!

·
Registered
171 Posts
The Williams looks pretty good, and if I had not gone with the Tech Sight I would have gone with the Williams. I do think that the Tech Sight is more durable, but the Williams shore is purty! I use Williams Fire Sights on my GP100 revolver and absolutely love it!
Hi Roger, you won't get the best accuracy potential out of the 10/22 using the Hogue rubber stock. It's too flexible and changes POI with temperature and stock holding position. :(

BTW, I use the TechSight sight on my M1 Carbine 10/22 lookalike rifle, great sight. :)

Regards,
Richard

·
Redleg
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I know that some people claim that the Hogue is not stiff enough for great accuracy and this may indeed be true. I have not noticed it, however, and to be honest I just plain like the way the stock feels, handles, and looks. :lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, I know that some people claim that the Hogue is not stiff enough for great accuracy and this may indeed be true. I have not noticed it, however, and to be honest I just plain like the way the stock feels, handles, and looks. :lol:
Hi Roger, I have a Hogue stock on my house 10/22 just because of the reasons you give. While not as accurate as the 10/22 in pillar bedded wood stock, the accuracy is good enough for varmint and plinking use. :)

Regards,
Richard

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.