Perfect Union banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in these parts, a man without a pick-up truck is considered pretty much poorly dressed. And the older the pickup, the better, although 4 wheel drive is much desired.

And if a body has a pickup, well then, he needs a truck gun, a gun he can use to shoot the occasional varmint, or to intimidate home invaders and burglers, even to dismantle small buildings if need be (those who dismantle small buildings such as defunct toilets, smokehouses and old corn cribs and so forth, usually opt for shotguns with high capacity drums and other suchlike).

And while I have some small buildings around the place, which I haven't gotten around to using a Saiga 12 on as of yet, My Truck Gun is a...

Saign 7.62x39mm, converted back to original dress code (pistol grip), and with folding shoulder stock. I carry it with open sights only, but have a red dot scope on the easily removed and put back again side mounted bracket, if I should uncharacteristically remember to carry it with me. I have a single point sling that I can attach either at the axis of the folding stock, or on a lug directly behind the top of the pistol grip/receiver junction.

I've kept the original forearm, but have attached (with screws and superglue) 3 or 4 inch lengths of rail to the bottom and one side of the forearm. I'm not a big fan of qual rails and so forth, but I do like being able to add a light, or maybe even some other kind of optic if the notion strikes me.

And finally, I carry my truck gun in my behind the cab tool box (keep a .357 Taurus revolver or Ruger SR9c in the cab with me), nestled comfortably in a padded fishing rod/reel zippered bag. The ten round mag is inserted, nothing in the chamber but it doesn't take long to jack the bolt, and two extra 30 round mags are in other fishing bag pockets, along with another hundred or so loose cartridges in yet another pocket. And while the fishing bag persona lends a certain amount of innocent concealability to the outfit...it's really too heavy to pass as fishing equipment with anything more than a cursory inspection.

But, Kentucky's relaxed concealment laws make the pick-up/truck gun combo a viable and much appreciated option for a body having at hand, what he might need gunwise in these uncertain times.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My mini 14 with 4-12scope is always behind the seat with 2 20rd clips great for any kind varmint skunks **** coyote or the mtn lions we keep finding in the field. Good out to 200yrds and plenty of power with a good hollow point. I also usually have a ruger 22/45 target with 3 10rd clips a good accurate 22lr pistol is great for lowering the muscrat population destroying our rural roads and countless other uses around the farm. The 92A1 9mm comes with on occasion especially if I work all night in the field it comes in the tractor. To many Meth producers around.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Round here a lot of women drive pickups as well.
My truck gun rides under the back seat outa sight, and varies between a shotgun or a rifle.
In the console is a 4" 357 magnum, in the glove box is a 357 magnum snub.
No permits needed for any of this in Florida.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My truck gun is a Marlin 60 that I rescued from an old farmhouse on the homeplace. Replaced what was left of the wood stock with an ATI Dragunov stock, had to replace the barrel because there was a dirt dobber nest in it and there was a badly rusted spot. Lucked across a barrel for 20 and tossed a 4x scope on it. It stays behind the seat for the most part, unless I know its going to be a long day in the country then it makes its way up front. It has a bit of use as of late on coyotes that chew holes in poly irrigation pipe because its so damn dry this year.

·
hostilenativelibertarian.
7,825 Posts
:lol:OUT WEST HERE WE CARRY MORE THAN 1 TRUCK GUN;a 12 guage shotty pump stick-for close work,an ar/m4 for more than 1 target,a bolt gun for the far off work,and a handgun of preference for use "in the shower".!!!!!:lol:

·
Registered
40 Posts
My truck gun, or "trunk monkey" as I call it, is a Draco AK pistol. Legally classed as a pistol, I can take advantage of my CCW and carry this big bastard in my car. I built a special foam lined, lockable steel box for her to ride in. I use hungarian 20 round tanker mags because they're easier to move around with inside a vehicle. It's a crowd pleaser!:) My wife refers to it as the "ghetto blaster".

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've altered my truck gun slightly. For with the new, super powerful, smallish lights, I decided to add one to my Saiga 7.62X39 truck gun.

Of course I've got the TLR 1's and 3's, and some others, but I've found the LED LENSER lights can be found at flea markets and so forth, for ridiculously low prices (I bought one for 12 bucks, another for 20 at a local flea market).

These lights have 1 inch barrels, so can be mounted by using a single scope mounting ring, on a short piece of rail. I mounted my rail under the OEM forearm of my Saiga, and the LENSER to it with a generic scope ring, and all is good to go. The light now serves as my forearm, and all I need do is hit the tail mounted switch, and I can readily see the sights, and other objects of interest as the need occurs. I have similar set-ups on some of my HD safe guns.

The light is bright enough to easily illuminate a coyote at 100 yards, uses commonly available AAA batteries, and gives me that extra advantage when in my truck at night.

I'm a gun nut. And a light nut. And it's kind of cool joining the two together to maximize the utility of the necessary truck tool box tool.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My truck gun, or "trunk monkey" as I call it, is a Draco AK pistol. Legally classed as a pistol, I can take advantage of my CCW and carry this big bastard in my car. I built a special foam lined, lockable steel box for her to ride in. I use hungarian 20 round tanker mags because they're easier to move around with inside a vehicle. It's a crowd pleaser!:) My wife refers to it as the "ghetto blaster".
A man after my own heart. I have a mini Draco pulling the "truck gun" (or car gun when I drive it such as today). Just goes under the seat for me. It's an AK it can get a little scratched and I wont mind. Going to have to look into the 20 rounders though sounds interesting. Haven't named it yet but whateveer I do it's going to be something fitting with loud and fireball.

When I get the Saiga-12 converted so I can legally use the 10 rnd mags then I'll carry it too probably. Otherwise sometimes the mini hitches a ride too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts