Perfect Union banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on a what brand rail goes good on the old 182 series? I got a utg and it keeps loosening after about a hundred rounds. I tried lock tite. It didnt work.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Side mount scope rails are notorious for these issues. (I had these same issues with a B-Square side mount, BTW.)

True Mini-14's are not designed for a scope. Only the Ranch Rifles are.

Really, the only long-term viable option (IMHO) is a scout mount (Amega Ranges or UltiMak) and either a long eye relief scope or a red dot.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You might have problems finding a scope with enough eye relief to work with a Ranch Products scout mount, but it works well with red dot and halo type sights. Check out the post below.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/740181-post29.html

You also have the option of using a ATI Tactical stock, which has worked very well for me. I'm using the aluminum rails, because it seemed it would provide a higher probability of a positive outcome, but the standard poly rail is not going to "giggle".

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
You might have problems finding a scope with enough eye relief to work with a Ranch Products scout mount, but it works well with red dot and halo type sights. Check out the post below.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/740181-post29.html

I've found that pistol scopes work quite well on the Ranch Products mount. Got to have a ton of eye relief, as you mentioned.

FWIW, though, Burris makes a 2-7x32 "Scout" scope which is the same as their 2-7x32 pistol scope. Same eye relief and everything. Kinda spendy, though.

To the OP: If you aren't committed to keeping your iron sights, you could always go with the Wichita Arms mount. You have to gut your rear sight and use the "ears" on the receiver as mount points, then tighten a set screw against the action.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I got a weaver side mount thinking it might be better,
but it looked like it came from the same chinese factory as the UTG mount i had. Theyre identicle.
I used red loctite on the elevation screws and blue on the thumb bolt. After 200 round its still solid.
We'll see if stays that way...
By the way im using a ATI stock. The red dot i have is a lucid hd 7. I really like it but its heavy. It makes the gun front heavy on the ATI rail.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Side plates are loose

I have recently been experimenting with a couple of side plate (bolt catch cover plate) mounted scope mounts (that I've had laying around for years) on an older 185 series mini.

The two I have, one an older B-Square, the other an equally old Ram-Line, both exhibited the same problem. They use a drilled and tapped side plate and machine screw to attach the mount, and two screws that bear on the top of the receiver in a "teeter-totter" arrangement to do the coarse elevation adjustment. In theory, that should work. In reality, the side plates are so undersize that there is a significant amount of play. Not too surprising, as I'm sure this is a non-critical dimension for Ruger. It would be better if the scope mount manufacturers made their side plates a bit oversize, so that users could trim them down. That's probably the same issue as with the UTG mount.

My solution was to shim the sides of the side plate with thin strips of aluminum foil until I could detect no lateral play. I then cut a shim from stainless steel sheet metal (available at your local hardware store or hobby shop), which I attached to the bottom of the side plate with rubber cement to eliminate vertical play.

I also had to make a sheet metal shell deflector, which I attached to the scope mount with pop rivets, after ejecting brass destroyed the first scope I mounted. Spring is here at last, and I hope to finish some other mods and get the combo out to the range for testing in the next few weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.