Perfect Union banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to my 6th Defensive Shotgun Class at Front Sight starting last Monday.(10/19-10/23) This one was 4 days as I wanted to graduate with a Distinguished Graduate Sticker on my Cert. Did That!!!

I shot -11 I missed one Select Slug Shot at 50 yards -5, and was late on 2 Port Load iterations. -3,-3. You start with 125 points and subtract from that. -12 or top 10% is the cutoff for DG -30 is cutoff for Graduate.

Some may think this is a yawn,,, however I was one of 4 in the class of 36 who made it, and it was kind of a big deal to me, just like my Pistol DG was a few years ago. It took me 12 classes to DG Pistol. YMMV

This course is 4 days of shooting shotguns and learning all the techniques that are necessary to run one in a efficient manner. I ran my Browning A5 with the Buck Special Barrel for the whole program and was super impressed by the Buckshot patterns at 15 yards which were <3"X 3" with Federal Low Recoil 000 Buck ! This equals the performance of my Vang Comped M500's, but Browning had this figured out a long time ago.

I had already ran the A5 in a Class so I had most of it figured out however I did learn a few new tricks so it was well worth while, and getting the DG Sticker means I can go on to more advanced Tactical Classes.

I fired right at 300 rounds of Birdshot, 150 rounds of 000 Federal Low Recoil Buckshot and 50 rounds of Federal Low Recoil Slugs . Right at 500 rounds total in 4 days with no bruises or broken bones or anything. Temps were at 90 F so it was shorts and tee shirts for the 4 days. The gun ran great the whole way and cleaned up with 2 passes with a bore snake and a little wiping with a paper towel.

During the Sighting In portion of the class I did manage to sneak in 3 of my Lee Slugs loaded in Federal Blue Hulls and they shot right into the same group as the Factory Slugs. So that was encouraging.

So,,, I accomplished what I set out to do on that trip!

However when we went back on Friday to start our 4 day Pistol Class something had happened!

There was no place to park even close to the sign in area. There were people everywhere! I have never seen so many people there at one time in the 15 years we've been members.

I saw the Head Guy and he told me there were 650 people there for Pistol Classes. They were running 14 pistol classes of 40 people each, starting last Friday. This is unprecedented !!! The most Pistol Classes I had ever seen at one time was 3!

They were expecting 900+ people for classes starting yesterday, 25 pistol classes scheduled! I saw instructors I hadn't seen in years! All Hands on Deck! This was REALLY unprecedented !!!

Only a few people were wearing Masks! But they did take everyone's Temps when they were checking in. Lunch and the Form Fill Outs were conducted in both the regular Lunch Room and the Big Tent. There was also a new Liability Release Form to fill out for Covid 19.

It was a good trip and we came back better shooters than when we left. Please Note: Everything we did was directly applicable to Home Defense, Target Shooting and Hunting. It was all about Gun Handling and Learning to run the gun in the most efficient manner possible. Obviously this will directly apply to any possible use of the gun.

Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was some pretty intense shooting, mixed with lectures on how to do different things like Safety, Sight Alignment, Sight Picture and Trigger Control, proper Loading and Unloading of the gun, Proper Stance, Port Loading, Clearing Malfunctions, doing Select Shell Drills where you are loaded with birdshot and a 50 yard Slug Shot presents itself, Patterning Buckshot, and Sighting in for Slugs. Lots to learn here and it is very hard to do it all in one trip, hence 6 classes for me. (but I am a slow learner)

Lots of shooting in between to give practical experience to the lecture topics. usually any given iteration (shooting drills) was anywhere from 6 to 40 rounds in one string. When you are shooting multiple targets starting with 2 ea 2,(1.6 seconds) then 2 ea. 3 (2.1 sec) and then 2 ea. 4 targets (2.6 sec) that's 18 rounds total in about 2-3 minutes total for the exercise. Also this was done individually with an instructor with a timer calling your times and splits between shots. I had 1 4 shot pass that I ran in 2.0 seconds and was pretty stoked about that!

Proper stance really comes into play along with gun setup. Long stocks don't work for this type of shooting. The LOP on my A5 is 13". What this does for you is square you up more to the target which in turn allows you to lean forward more to offset the recoil from multiple shots. IF you aren't leaning into the gun you get rocked back on your heels by the third shot which looks pretty stupid and can almost guarantee you won't hit the last shot. This is all shot at 15 yards with birdshot for practice, and Buckshot for the test.

Here's a copy of the test.

Please note: the Port Loading Drill that I was late on, had it's time changed from 4.2 seconds which I can make every time to 3.6 seconds which I can't make ever. I haven't gotten a strait answer why that was changed. But I would have shot -5 had it been the same as last time. This drill you start with a loaded gun fire at one target, Port Load a shell fire at another target, and then load another shell and finish with a loaded gun. The second load was where I was late coming in around 4.0 seconds. On the A5 I use the "Speed Feed Feature" which is much faster than actually Ejection Port Loading a shell and hitting the Bolt Release.

All of the Malfunctions were easy on this gun and it was harder to set up a type 3 malfunction (failure to extract or double feed.) Than it was to clear it by simply running the bolt twice. on an A5 all malfunctions are cleared by simply racking the bolt.
Type 1 is Empty Chamber, click. (loudest sound in a gunfight!)
Type 2 is Failure to Eject or "Stovepipe."
Type 3 is Failure Extract
Emergency Reload is,, you ran the gun dry and better reload fast. Which is the purpose of the Port Load.
and Tactical Reload is when there is a lull in the fight, you top off the mag.

Shotguns are ammo Hungary Beasts, so you have to learn to manage your ammo!

Port loading also has direct use in the field. You are shooting ducks with your plugged shotgun. A big flight comes over and you blast 3 down with your first 3 shots, but your gun is now empty and there are another 3 birds available, so you port load 1 and drop one and then do it 2 more times.

The Instructor's Brother actually got his gun checked by F&G because he fired 6 shots in about 10 seconds and he had to show the Warden how he could do it. The Warden asked where he learned it, and he said "Front Sight!"

Like I said all of this is directly applicable to all forms or shooting.

Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bepe: Where exactly does the "Twilight Zone" start and end?

You might be able to teleport to Nevada, and then you could shoot too!

Randy

Reactions: 40nascar and Bepe
1 - 4 of 4 Posts